• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

Mike, we're doing a Mallorcan "Big year" starting on the 1st of Jan. I think you've got a very good chance..!!
Anyone who gets more than 180 species will be in the birding Olympo ;) .
Restricted to the main island (Cabrera and Dragonera won't count)

Thanks Steve, I read it on the Albercutx forum and Facebook. I am "up for it" and can't wait so count me in! It is all very exciting and I will give it my best. It will be interesting to see what species turn up. All a bit of fun, nobody here takes anything too seriously so that will increase the fun aspect. I will begin at the stroke of midnight on Jan 1st, I see Barn and Long-eared owls most nights and Stone curlew and Scop's owls should be possible. Not sure where to post my sightings but I will find out by then. Thanks again, Mike

Last edited:
I have been going through my list and wondering what a realistic total for the year might be. 180 has been mentioned but I think 200 is possible, that will be my target anyway, it will be interesting to see what the winner ends up with. I am out every day but don't get up North as much as I would like so I may miss out on a few migrants. Also, I will have to climb quite a few mountains...Mike

200 incredible, shows how crap UK birding is, lucky to get 100 in January here.

I have been going through my list and wondering what a realistic total for the year might be. 180 has been mentioned but I think 200 is possible, that will be my target anyway, it will be interesting to see what the winner ends up with. I am out every day but don't get up North as much as I would like so I may miss out on a few migrants. Also, I will have to climb quite a few mountains...Mike

Just as a guide I have counted up this year's total and it stands at 198 so far. There are about six more species I could add with a bit more effort but I will save the slog up the mountains until next year. It is going to be great fun and I hope people will post their monthly totals to see how things are going. Good luck to anybody joining in. Mike

BAD NEWS for the BIRDS, too

Dear friends,
May be here is not the best place to write this but I think is directly related to Balearic birds and all birdwatchers must know.
Last Wednesday, 29 employees from Natural Parks all over Balearics were dismissed. People who has been working for the conservation of the biodiversity.
Some of these people are, for example, the ones who check every month the bird list of s'Albufera Natural Park, a place that most of you know. Workers who keep the parks well maintained and others who have spent half life studying the ornithofauna.

So, next time you'll visit these areas you will know that now they are less protected.

Regards

Cristina.

thats a huge shame! wildlife always seem to be the first to suffer, its a disgrace!.

Dear friends,
May be here is not the best place to write this but I think is directly related to Balearic birds and all birdwatchers must know.
Last Wednesday, 29 employees from Natural Parks all over Balearics were dismissed. People who has been working for the conservation of the biodiversity.
Some of these people are, for example, the ones who check every month the bird list of s'Albufera Natural Park, a place that most of you know. Workers who keep the parks well maintained and others who have spent half life studying the ornithofauna.

So, next time you'll visit these areas you will know that now they are less protected.

Regards

Cristina.

I don't know what to say. I have been working so hard since being in Mallorca to promote the Island as a great destination for wildlife and birdwatching. It makes me want to give up. I know there is a crisis but thousands of birdwatchers come here every year and green tourism is the way forward here as it is throughout the world. If the Balearic government cannot see this then they are blind.

I've read about this and it is truly appalling news. I've been lucky to meet and know personally several of the people who have lost their jobs (at s'Albufera, on Sa Dragonera and in the Tramuntana) and it saddens me greatly. I've been trying to follow the discussion on Forum del GOB but can only gather part of what is said - via on-line translators.

Over the last 10 years I've had the pleasure of being able to work in many of the Parcs, etc., on Mallorca, trying to use what little knowledge I have to discovery more about the islands moth biodiversity, trebling the number of species recorded on the published list for the islands. I've also described one species new to science (from Sa Dragonera) and I know of several other undescribed species yet to be formally named, so much more remains to be discovered.

In many countries 'wildlife' is often the first to suffer when funding is tight (even here in the UK). I got to hear about the proposed cuts during my last visit in September so it was particularly galling on my journey to the airport to see teams of workmen spraying herbicide onto all the road edges - creating a totally sterile area some several metres wide -- which just a few years ago would have been a mass of colour from native plants. This all has a knock-on effect to other wildlife and must be a huge financial burden on the Government (local or otherwise) - money that could be better used in wildlife protection, which also brings money into the islands through green tourism.

Our own project funding had been cut this year but it is far more serious for those who have lost their jobs.

Martin

Thanks Martin. All very sad, especiallyfor those now out of work. They spray the verges every year and it is sterile for many months. There is a beautiful patch of wild ground just by our apartments which attracts so much wildlife, it is covered with insect life and wonderful for butterflies. Every year at the critical time it is sprayed and is totally destroyed. I have challenged them and the reply was that the tourists don't like insects so they are doing it for them!

Sad news indeed. S'Albufera particularly must be one of the best sites in Europe for wildlife and attracts much green tourism every year. As you say, Mike, it's a pity the government can't see this.

The verges are also sprayed opposite my house where there are very few tourists around so I don't understand their logic. Also the landowner of the fields here where nothing is grown for sale, mows down all the plantlife in spring when the birds are nesting!

What a shame!

I'm afraid that this is the way the world is going. In the UK more and more is being done by volunteers and this is what will happen to the reserves on Mallorca. Although the wildlife provides tourisum income to the Island it is not in the public eye. It's the beaches, night clubs, water parks, hotels etc that are instantly visible to the powers that be. I work for a company that operates within the NHS and have just got more fatalistic as I've got older. I'll be back in Mallorca in 2013, most likely in September. Thank you Mike, Steve and Cristina for keeping us up to date with the bird news from your wonderful Island. A Merry Christmas and a Happy, Peaceful New Year to you all.

Colin

What a shame!

I'm afraid that this is the way the world is going. In the UK more and more is being done by volunteers and this is what will happen to the reserves on Mallorca. Although the wildlife provides tourisum income to the Island it is not in the public eye. It's the beaches, night clubs, water parks, hotels etc that are instantly visible to the powers that be. I work for a company that operates within the NHS and have just got more fatalistic as I've got older. I'll be back in Mallorca in 2013, most likely in September. Thank you Mike, Steve and Cristina for keeping us up to date with the bird news from your wonderful Island. A Merry Christmas and a Happy, Peaceful New Year to you all.

Colin

A Common Gull has been seen at s'Albufera, I have yet to see one here so will try to catch up with it in the week. Also Bonelli's Eagles being seen around the Island from the re-introduction scheme, I hope they breed one day and become re-established on the Island. Other species to follow I hope, I could do with some good news. Mike

A few Bramblings and Hawfinches around, mostly at Mortitx, I have yet to see either of those so will try to connect in the New Year. May I wish all readers of this thread a very Happy Christmas and thank you for your contributions. I will do a review of the year before the end of the month and start a new thread for 2013, hopefully a year packed with great birds. All the best, Mike

Merry Christmas Mike and fellow posters, if it wasn't for this thread i wouldn't have seen several of the species i wanted to see in Majorca this year, so thanks to you all..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back