• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

This morning Mrs B dropped me off at the start of the Fishermen’s Walk at Cala St Vicenc. I spent an enjoyable if uneventful couple of hours before joining her at the beach bar for a beer.

There were crossbills calling throughout the woods, with one or two showing themselves briefly. The open slopes had a red kite and booted eagle, with blue rock thrushes singing and calling all along the walk to the end of the road. Balearic warblers weren’t as obliging as they often are, although I heard four or five singing and had fleeting views of a couple.

A black-tailed skimmer at one of the small rock pools was the only dragonfly seen, but after coming across them for the first time with Mike S and Phil A earlier in my stay, I realised that there were quite a lot of striped grayling butterflies all along the walk. They are brilliantly camouflaged for the terrain!

Stew

Attachments

• 8D0D7612-082A-4ACF-8DBF-B351AF2B2E4B.jpeg
    8D0D7612-082A-4ACF-8DBF-B351AF2B2E4B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 4264CA16-C9BD-47A6-B967-9876362282DF.jpeg
    4264CA16-C9BD-47A6-B967-9876362282DF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Son Real 7th June

Attachments

• Audouin's Gull 01.jpg
    Audouin's Gull 01.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Audouin's Gull 02.jpg
    Audouin's Gull 02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Audouin's Gull.jpg
    Audouin's Gull.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Greenfinch.jpg
    Greenfinch.jpg
    859.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Sardinian Warbler 01.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler 01.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Sardinian warbler.jpg
    Sardinian warbler.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Shag 01.jpg
    Shag 01.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Shag.jpg
    Shag.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Spotted Flycatcher 01.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 01.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Spotted Flycatcher 02.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 02.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Spotted Flycatcher 03.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 03.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Spotted Flycatcher 04.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 04.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Spotted Flycatcher 05.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 05.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Spotted Flycatcher.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 12
  • Woodchat Shrike 01.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike 01.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Woodchat Shrike 02.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike 02.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Woodchat Shrike 03.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike 03.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Woodchat Shrike 04.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike 04.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 12
This morning after dropping Mrs B in Pollenca for the market, I decided to walk the steep path up to the hermitage at Puig de Maria. It’s a bit brutal, rising over 330m in just over 1.5 miles, the last 600 m or so on smooth, shiny granite sets. The views from the top are simply spectacular!

Bird-wise, there were lots of common woodland species, including good numbers of blue tits. Loads of blackcaps were singing and crossbills were calling too. On the way down at about 10.45 I could see across Pollenca towards Ternelles as a black vulture was lifting off. In short order it was joined by six others, quite a nice sight! A virtual cloud of swifts were also over the town.

Stew

I have received an enquiry from Kevin W who is coming to the Island in two weeks time as he wants to hire a car at the airport either for the duration or from Alcudia for a few days.
I know some regular visitors hire cars every visit so if they can help, could they please post suggestions here.
Thanks.
Mike

Juanjo has seen a few White storks at Prat de Sant Jordi, near the airport.
A few recent sightings of Red-footed falcons is exciting as there may well be breeding, or attempts to do so, for the first time I believe.
I’m not sure if they have ever bred successfully before but I will look into it.
If anyone knows, perhaps they could post.
At this time, the exact locations will probably not be published.
Mike

I have received an enquiry from Kevin W who is coming to the Island in two weeks time as he wants to hire a car at the airport either for the duration or from Alcudia for a few days.
I know some regular visitors hire cars every visit so if they can help, could they please post suggestions here.
Thanks.
Mike
Mike, Kevin,
you should just google and try the cheapest in the area..my advise is to keep away from more expensive brands, Avis etc but depends what Kevin wants.
They will try and force you into full insurance..maybe if used for a few days then just take it.
Better to wait until you need car and then book on line just before you want it. Many car hires around Alcudia, Just get Busfrom airport to Alcudia ( mayhave to go into Palma bus station but its easy)

Attachments

• F56A2871-52F1-4F92-8EE7-21F8F0727DAB.png
    F56A2871-52F1-4F92-8EE7-21F8F0727DAB.png
    976.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks.
Mike
It’s difficult. We always use Record Go from the airport, booking direct through their website rather than through comparison sites. This always seems to give us the cheapest overall deal. If you join the Record Go club (free) you get to use their express line and avoid some of the queuing. We also take their “full comfort” insurance to avoid any argument about minor damage etc.

We’ve tried other firms, including Hiper (shuttle from the airport), but didn’t really save enough to justify the extra hassle.

The reality seems to be that prices have risen sharply. Petrol prices are also pretty high, but diesel seems to be cheaper than unleaded here, so might be worth bearing in mind.

Stew

HI again- we used a company called Vanrell in Alcudia for the last few times we were in Mallorca. You book online and can arrange to pick up the car to suit your needs (they have a few sites in different places). The guy in the office was English and able to deal easily with any queries. The car we got last time (2017 ) was brand new with only 11km on the clock. The price seemed mid-range but everything was clearly stated in the charges and add-ons- we had no problems. Regards- Hugh

I had a really pleasant few hours at Mortitx this morning. Serins, a wryneck, firecrests, blackcaps and blue tits were calling as I walked down through the trees and along to the vineyard. There were four Eleanora’s falcons hunting over the vines and the olives, including a stunning all-dark bird. They were still there when I returned. Further along, crossbills and blue rock thrushes became evident, and near the crags at the end I saw a couple of crag martins and a pair of kestrels.

Dragonflies at the reservoir we’re pretty good. Three male emperors and a couple of lesser emperors were patrolling, black-tailed skimmers, scarlet dragonflies, 4+ violet dropwings and a single male keeled skimmer were all trying to hold territory while lots of small red-eyed damselflies were over the open water.

An adult Bonelli’s eagle appeared over the far crags as I was about to head back, and three black vultures and two more Eleanora’s appeared while I was watching the eagle.

Stew

Attachments

• 5DE7457C-739C-4D23-AC98-07D6AB409345.jpeg
    5DE7457C-739C-4D23-AC98-07D6AB409345.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 7AFA1DD0-E6F8-4F57-9A5D-13A9935534F1.jpeg
    7AFA1DD0-E6F8-4F57-9A5D-13A9935534F1.jpeg
    920.7 KB · Views: 28
  • A623EE48-6909-4BCB-8CA3-138150692C24.jpeg
    A623EE48-6909-4BCB-8CA3-138150692C24.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 2D5FD605-7216-4D8A-875C-FE5F069F5656.jpeg
    2D5FD605-7216-4D8A-875C-FE5F069F5656.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 3D1F8249-C156-4F4E-89A9-F7A65B24956E.jpeg
    3D1F8249-C156-4F4E-89A9-F7A65B24956E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
I have done a couple of sea watches recently.
There is very little out there, just a handful of Balearic and Scopoli’s shearwaters, nothing else of note, but dolphins can put on a good show sometimes, a delightful sight.
I’m just off to the airport to spend 10 days birding with Mike Swiss who is kindly showing me around his manor.
I’m expecting great things. No pressure Mike.
I will still get Mallorca news which I will post.
Good luck to all visiting birders, I hope there will be some returning waders soon and some great things for you to enjoy.
Mike

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if someone could help me answer this question that a friend asked me today:

"I need to confirm if there is a road name in the area, wondered if you had a street map or may even be able to take a look for me. It is for a property search.
The location is a place called Alburcutx Farm (not sure if it has a Spanish name). It is located off the roundabout on the MA-2200 and MA-2210 where they join (road leading up to Formentor.
If you were coming out of Puerto Pollensa and past the military site then up past the football stadium (which would be on your left), it is the track running off on the other side of the roundabout straight ahead of you."

I add the map that he sent me.

Thank you in advance!

1655196074108.png

It is the farm of Albercutx, just besides the moment the road climb-up to Formentor.
I dont understand clearly the question, but it is not a road, but a public path (for walking) that goes up from the roundabout and reaches the viewpoint of Colomer, that is the reason why the great house is abandoned and in ruins, nobody wants to buy the house and restore it if a road passes ahead, as it happens in the houses of Boquer, at the entrance of the Boquer valley.

It is the farm of Albercutx, just besides the moment the road climb-up to Formentor.
I dont understand clearly the question, but it is not a road, but a public path (for walking) that goes up from the roundabout and reaches the viewpoint of Colomer, that is the reason why the great house is abandoned and in ruins, nobody wants to buy the house and restore it if a road passes ahead, as it happens in the houses of Boquer, at the entrance of the Boquer valley.
thanks Josep!

Hello everyone.

I have just read through the whole thread in anticipation of returning to Mallorca for 5 days at the end of September after an almost 3 year break. We have been many times before but never in September. I was just wondering if the birds in Autumn were similar to Spring? Also, any recommendations of where to go? Any new areas? We are staying in Puerto Pollensa but we won't have a car so will either have to be on foot or locally on the bus. I can't wait to be back and have missed it so much. Have really enjoyed reading about all of your sightings. Have resisted looking at the forum the last couple of years as I didn't want to become too envious of you all out there.

Thanks in advance

Rach

Hi Rach
I remember we were in touch some time ago.
In many ways, autumn is even better than spring. Less species I would say but the raptor migration can be spectacular.
A lot of the action is in the south at Cap de Ses Salines where Honey buzzard, Marsh harrier, Hobby, Eleonora’s, Montagu’s and other raptors move through on their way to winter in Africa.
Returning waders are pretty good too so you will be fine up north.
Many other migrants pass through the Pollença area so I’m sure there will be plenty to keep you entertained.
Glad you enjoyed reading through the thread. I’m sure many people can help with places to visit locally to where you will be staying, it’s where most birders go.
I’m sure you are looking forward to returning to Mallorca and I hope it will be a good year for migration when you get here.
All the best,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, we were in touch a while ago. We've been coming to Mallorca since 2009 most years, up until recent times, but always in April/May. It will be good to experience the Autumn migration for a change. I have missed it so much. If we didn't have commitments here in the UK, I think we'd live in Mallorca for most of the year, definitely during spring and autumn.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds as if the usual places are a good bet. I just wondered if there were any newly discovered places to go to. Unfortunately we're only there for 5 days this time but I'm sure we'll be back next Spring.

Thanks again

Rach

Hi Rach
I remember we were in touch some time ago.
In many ways, autumn is even better than spring. Less species I would say but the raptor migration can be spectacular.
A lot of the action is in the south at Cap de Ses Salines where Honey buzzard, Marsh harrier, Hobby, Eleonora’s, Montagu’s and other raptors move through on their way to winter in Africa.
Returning waders are pretty good too so you will be fine up north.
Many other migrants pass through the Pollença area so I’m sure there will be plenty to keep you entertained.
Glad you enjoyed reading through the thread. I’m sure many people can help with places to visit locally to where you will be staying, it’s where most birders go.
I’m sure you are looking forward to returning to Mallorca and I hope it will be a good year for migration when you get here.
All the best,
Mike
Don't forget the bee eaters at the Cape Mike!

Yesterday I spent the morning at the Albufera. There was nothing surprising, in fact bird-wise it was relatively quiet. The number of glossy ibises in the heronry still surprises me. It still feels very recent that it was a good bird for the Albufera, now they are literally all over the place! I also saw a great white egret in the heronry trees - presumably they too are on the increase.

The Savi’s warbler was still reeling away as I walked down the first couple of hundred metres of the track towards Ses Puntes on the way in. On the way out I walked all the way down to the Ses Puntes platform. Not a total waste of time because there were several singing moustached warblers to be heard (and glimpses of a couple).

Purple herons and great reed warblers were all around the reserve, and a couple of stone curlews were on the grass next to the new Sa Roca hide.

I haven’t been able to clap eyes on a purple gallinule on any of my three visits to the Albufera this time. I guess the water levels and tall vegetation have played into their fairly skulking nature.

I met a guy who was netting damselflies. While he was going through his catch (marking processed insects with a felt pen to avoid later double-counting) he explained his fascinating study of blue-tailed damselflies (focused on female colour-morphs). Made me realise how little I know!

There was a good range of dragonflies and damselflies around, including some nice violet dropwings (an increasingly common insect), scarlet dragonflies, small red-eyed and goblet-marked damselflies.

Stew

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back