• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (6 Viewers)

In pursuit of the magic 200!! I’m on 199 species for Mallorca this year and need only one more to join the magic 200 Club. I’ve only 3 days left on the island this year and assured it will be easy to accomplish; im not convinced!! Began the day with Peter S at Albufera in very heavy rain which cleared mid morning. There are hundreds of Teal on Sa Roca hides, 2 gallinule, some marbled teal but not a lot else. Plenty of water at Cibollar hides meant few waders. Lots of avocet, shelduck and black winged stilt. Highlights were an Osprey with a fish on top of the telegraph pole and a peregrine falcon on the adjacent dead tree. The peregrine was the largest I think I’ve ever seen. Adult female??. From Albufera we moved on to Albufereta, which was very quiet, then on to Ternelles approach road. Arriving part way to the gates we picked up 3 griffon vultures which we lost then refound a couple of times. Always distant and but fantastic to see. The 200 will just at have to wait.

Attachments

• 58BEF92A-BCCB-4258-9C81-2370F1F510FC.jpeg
    58BEF92A-BCCB-4258-9C81-2370F1F510FC.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 06BD21D5-655D-40F1-8ACA-B80F17DA4192.jpeg
    06BD21D5-655D-40F1-8ACA-B80F17DA4192.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 19
  • C4BB10C0-DD38-498B-8004-B2689464395C.jpeg
    C4BB10C0-DD38-498B-8004-B2689464395C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • D2E1F737-3919-47A4-A19B-EEF5067CF655.jpeg
    D2E1F737-3919-47A4-A19B-EEF5067CF655.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 91D76112-16FF-4D99-85BD-F3FFDB645AF4.jpeg
    91D76112-16FF-4D99-85BD-F3FFDB645AF4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
In pursuit of the magic 200!! I’m on 199 species for Mallorca this year and need only one more to join the magic 200 Club. I’ve only 3 days left on the island this year and assured it will be easy to accomplish; im not convinced!! Began the day with Peter S at Albufera in very heavy rain which cleared mid morning. There are hundreds of Teal on Sa Roca hides, 2 gallinule, some marbled teal but not a lot else. Plenty of water at Cibollar hides meant few waders. Lots of avocet, shelduck and black winged stilt. Highlights were an Osprey with a fish on top of the telegraph pole and a peregrine falcon on the adjacent dead tree. The peregrine was the largest I think I’ve ever seen. Adult female??. From Albufera we moved on to Albufereta, which was very quiet, then on to Ternelles approach road. Arriving part way to the gates we picked up 3 griffon vultures which we lost then refound a couple of times. Always distant and but fantastic to see. The 200 will just at have to wait.
Good luck o achive 200

Tuesday we had been in Alcudia and on our way home decided to visit Maristany. We were as so often greeted by the sound of little grebe and then you almost know where you are. When we approached the lake on the left hand the water was almost whipped up by all the birds, coots a lot of them, trying to run to the other side of the lake, obviously we had scared them. Unfortunately I wasn't ready with my camera, it was a wonderful sight. Maybe we should have had a better look at the gulls, I have heard Mediterrenean gulls have been around. We enjoyed a very nice pintail, a young flamingo, little egret, shoveler, gadwall, common pochard and three glossy ibis (one was trying to eat something that looked far too big for its throat, wonder what it was). We also saw a swan, can anyone tell me which?
We spent a wonderful quiet hour in the beginning sunset.

Attachments

• P1042794.jpg
    P1042794.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P1042819.jpg
    P1042819.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P1043001.jpg
    P1043001.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P1042954.jpg
    P1042954.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P1042967.jpg
    P1042967.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 25
  • P1042985.jpg
    P1042985.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 20
Tuesday we had been in Alcudia and on our way home decided to visit Maristany. We were as so often greeted by the sound of little grebe and then you almost know where you are. When we approached the lake on the left hand the water was almost whipped up by all the birds, coots a lot of them, trying to run to the other side of the lake, obviously we had scared them. Unfortunately I wasn't ready with my camera, it was a wonderful sight. Maybe we should have had a better look at the gulls, I have heard Mediterrenean gulls have been around. We enjoyed a very nice pintail, a young flamingo, little egret, shoveler, gadwall, common pochard and three glossy ibis (one was trying to eat something that looked far too big for its throat, wonder what it was). We also saw a swan, can anyone tell me which?
We spent a wonderful quiet hour in the beginning sunset.
Hi Erik, it’s a Coscoroba Swan - a native of South America. This is an escaped individual which has been around at various locations in the north for a while.

Stew

Hi Erik, it’s a Coscoroba Swan - a native of South America. This is an escaped individual which has been around at various locations in the north for a while.

Stew
Hi Stew - thank you very much. I have never seen a Coscoroba Swan before - or heard about it. But thanks to you I could google it and learn that it seems to be an interesting species with its roots way back. I am happy to have seen it, even if it is an escape bird.
Best regards Erik

On Wednesday I saw Whimbrel at Cala Gamba, species 199 for the Big Year in Mallorca. I spent Thursday and Friday revisiting old haunts at Albercutx, Cala Sant Vicenc, Ternelles, Son Real, Albufera and Albufereta in the hope of adding one more. My targets were Alpine accentor, dunnock, sparrowhawk, Hawfinch, spoonbill and crane having already missed out on brambling at Mortix earlier in the week. Sadly I missed out on all of them. This morning I left Port de Pollenca early and headed south to Salobrar de Campos to meet Mike Montier. He, Pep and Mike S has all told me about Curlew being there. Mike M and I set off in wellington boots, armed with scopes and cameras along Camino de Sa Barrala on a fairly cold morning. Within 10 minutes we found 1 curlew and on closer looks 2 then 5. Further in the distance 2 more flew away from us. Our birds then took flight showing 8 close by meaning we had at least 10 birds and my 200th of the year. The east of the walk along the track produced a few greenshank, dunlin but not much else. Overhead we saw several marsh harrier, kestrel, red kite and booted eagle and Mike had earlier picked out Bonellis eagle. We moved on to the polo pitches at Sa Barrala where 200+ meadow pipits were feeding. We did see 3 grey thrush like birds but didn’t get enough to convince ourselves that they were fieldfare; perhaps another day. I did say the other day that birding was like following Newcastle United; it’s the hope that gets you every time. Today I got my 200th of the year and The Toon won 3-0. I was right all along!!

Attachments

• D8A66B4F-5C63-4CED-986C-3C3B7F5B732E.jpeg
    D8A66B4F-5C63-4CED-986C-3C3B7F5B732E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 8041DBB1-2E79-485D-B46D-5917BF1C3E23.jpeg
    8041DBB1-2E79-485D-B46D-5917BF1C3E23.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
Congratulations David, thoroughly deserved after all your diligent hours in the field in all weathers.
It was a great moment and I was so pleased to be with you to share the occasion.
Welcome to the 200 Club.
Next year, we will really go for it.
All the best,
Mike
Ps. The pies were fabulous, meat and peas.

I went to the polo pitch near Sa Barrala in search of the elusive Fieldfare but no joy.
There were no Cranes either at this traditionally good site.
It has been a poor year to date for this species with only flyovers so far.
There is still time yet for an influx and hopefully some Hawfinch and Brambling too.
Sa Barrala has come up trumps at the end of December for the last three years with some super-rare larks, the 31st being the star date.
I will certainly be there hoping for a fourth year in a row for a mega.
Best of luck to anyone who goes.
Mike

Congratulations Dave! As Mike said, welcome to the 200 species club!
At the moment I don't think there are any Hawfinch sightings this autumn / winter.... Hopefully some birds will arrive early in the year, we'll see....
But this afternoon I could see a Brambling with a Chaffinch flying over me from my garden in Calvià, I've never seen that species here before!
Also this morning a pair of Bonelli's Eagle near Son Bugadelles, between Calvià and Santa Ponça, both adults.

Biel Bernat

I have been to Sa Barrala every day recently in the hope of finding something rare. It’s that time of the year again when surprises turn up.
There was a report of a possible Black-throated thrush seen briefly by Maties.
It certainly sounded like one.
That would be a wonderful Christmas present but I have only seen song thrush so far and three larger thrushes with Geordie David which we concluded were Fieldfare.
I saw that lovely grey as it flew away and a bit of orange which rules out BTT.
I will keep trying.
It’s a marvelous place to be even without birds as I just love big open spaces with lots of sky.
Raptors are plentiful and Larks and pipits abound so there is plenty to see.
I will also do a seawatch as soon as I can. It’s been pretty quiet out at sea recently so I hope the number of Balearic shearwaters is increasing.
Mike

Another Stock dove has been seen near Campanet by Maties.
There have been a few records of this Mallorca rarity recently, including one I saw at s’Amarador last month.
My guess is that some of them get overlooked as “pigeons” generally don’t get a second look.
I find the Stock dove very distinctive, smaller and more compact than a Wood Pigeon with faster wing beats and a shorter tail.

I will be looking more carefully in future but when I saw the albufera one, the flight and overall coloration left me with no doubt.
Visiting birders may not all be aware of its rarity status and therefore may not report them.
Mike

Algerian hedgehogs were mentioned a few weeks ago so I was very happy to see one yesterday, no doubt looking for somewhere to hibernate.
I don’t know when they go into hibernation but as the weather has been so warm, I guess not yet.
It’s now quite cold at night and early mornings register only 2 degrees the last few days.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN1728.jpeg
    DSCN1728.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
A couple of weeks ago Mrs B and I were lucky enough to come over and spend a long weekend with Mike and Mrs M. I've written up some notes of the birds that Mike and I saw. Hopefully this link to the notes will work:
Mallorca Dec 23 report PDF.pdf

Stew
A great read Stew. (y)(y) As a summer visitor to the Island,It Is always Interesting to read about what can be seen In the winter period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back