• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (2 Viewers)

Thursday evening when we were outside saying good night to Jupiter and Venus almost holding hands, suddenly an owl were over our heads. Just a few seconds in the dark. It wasn't a barn owl which I have seen years ago here and in S'Albufera, so I guess it was long-eared owl. Friday started with our usual visitors in the palm tree. A little later a booted eagle, pale, circled over the house a while looking for food. In the afternoon we went to La Gola and visited The Ornithological Center for the first time, what a nice place and a very helpful young woman, whom we unfortunately didn't get the name of. On our way home we stopped at Maristany - it was 6 pm and the setting sun made it look fantastic. And quiet it was, until a coot suddenly got jealous and ran/flew over the water to try and drown the rival. It looked as though it ended peaceful though. Some twenty crag martins were busy, helping getting rid of insects -and among them one red-rumped swallow. Unfortunately I only got a very, very poor photo. A very nice end to a fairly cold day, if you weren't in the sun.

Attachments

• P1031522.jpg
    P1031522.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 25
  • P1031534.jpg
    P1031534.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 25
  • P1031577.jpg
    P1031577.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 27
  • P1031633.jpg
    P1031633.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 29
  • P1031635.jpg
    P1031635.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P1031636.jpg
    P1031636.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yes, I totally agree about the "feel" of the camera in your hands. I believe the new OM System (=ex Olympus) OM1 is very good but too expensive for me at the moment. It would be interesting to hear your friend's experience with it. I have not tried the converters yet – as you say, keeping the camera steady would be a problem and there is also the question of the light. I don't want to be carrying a tripod for my camera and the 100-400 is not a very fast lens anyway – with a converter (especially x2) you would need a lot of light to be able to use it satisfactorily. In the end, it is always a compromise whatever you use and the results depend more on the user than the camera. This is the area where I could achieve the greatest improvement!:ROFLMAO:
It's nice we both have areas where we can do something ourselves, and it is not only the failures of our "tool" :ROFLMAO: . I will write to you when I have heard my friends reactions.

Phil A and myself decided to explore the region as weather was changing for the better. We visited Can Sa Vincente, Depuradoa, S’Amarador, S’ Albufera and Maristany at a leisury pace.
Water levels in fields and parks had started to recline, and birds were enjoying themself after the storm.
Some 70 Spps were seen in total including:
  • Ospreys, Booted Eagle, Ravens, Kestrels,
  • Siskin, Serins, Great tit, Blue tits,
  • Balearic, Cetti, Fan tailed and Moustached Warblers,
  • Common Sandpipers,Green Sandpipers, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank,
  • Little Stint, Ringed Plover, Ruff, Snipe
  • Marbled Duck,Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe
  • Avocets, Flamingos, Black Winged Stilts
Both Pintail and Garganey were seen together at S’ Albufera.

It was an amazing day and a pleasure to see wildlife recovering.
Photos will follow from Phil.

Last edited:
An excellent day out with Mike Swiss, nice and dry and sunny although chilly in the shade, Not a good day for photos, although we saw lots of lovely birds most of the pics were taken from extreme distance. But 70 species for the day! and some of them year ticks, certainly can`t complain.

Attachments

• IMG_8937.JPG
    IMG_8937.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8945.JPG
    IMG_8945.JPG
    913.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8987.JPG
    IMG_8987.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9006.JPG
    IMG_9006.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9012.JPG
    IMG_9012.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9015.JPG
    IMG_9015.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9020.JPG
    IMG_9020.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9037.JPG
    IMG_9037.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9045.JPG
    IMG_9045.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9057.JPG
    IMG_9057.JPG
    844.6 KB · Views: 26
Thursday evening when we were outside saying good night to Jupiter and Venus almost holding hands, suddenly an owl were over our heads. Just a few seconds in the dark. It wasn't a barn owl which I have seen years ago here and in S'Albufera, so I guess it was long-eared owl. Friday started with our usual visitors in the palm tree. A little later a booted eagle, pale, circled over the house a while looking for food. In the afternoon we went to La Gola and visited The Ornithological Center for the first time, what a nice place and a very helpful young woman, whom we unfortunately didn't get the name of. On our way home we stopped at Maristany - it was 6 pm and the setting sun made it look fantastic. And quiet it was, until a coot suddenly got jealous and ran/flew over the water to try and drown the rival. It looked as though it ended peaceful though. Some twenty crag martins were busy, helping getting rid of insects -and among them one red-rumped swallow. Unfortunately I only got a very, very poor photo. A very nice end to a fairly cold day, if you weren't in the sun.
Lovely photos as always Erik!

An excellent day out with Mike Swiss, nice and dry and sunny although chilly in the shade, Not a good day for photos, although we saw lots of lovely birds most of the pics were taken from extreme distance. But 70 species for the day! and some of them year ticks, certainly can`t complain.
Well I don‘t think you can complain about the photos either Phil! Good stuff.

Last edited:
Needed a Sunday Rest after yesterday epic bird watch.
A gentle Sunday stroll around and in La Gola.
Some 30 species seen including Booted Eagle, Red Kite, Ravens, Red Crossbills, Little Egret, Audouin Gulls, Sandwich Terns, white and grey Wagtails.
A white domestic duck was also seen.
A great walk on a family Sunday.

Last edited:
A nice walk along the road leading to Ternelles Valley.
Trees and Flowers are blooming in the sunshine.
Birding was quiet, many Robins, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Black Redstarts, Black cap, and Sardinian Warblers in the fields and many Red Crossbills, Firecrests, and Great tits in the forests.
Only fleeting views of Blue Rockthrush, Single Black and Griffon Vultures, Kestrel, Ravens and Booted Eagle.
The big question is “ is the Valley now open to all?”
According to the Majorca daily, it is….

However, as always, things happen slower here.

Anybody has an update?

Attachments

• 08DCB464-C003-42C5-BA9E-1281497FACEE.jpeg
    08DCB464-C003-42C5-BA9E-1281497FACEE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 15D47A39-3C9F-4295-877A-F5BD5A0F21F2.jpeg
    15D47A39-3C9F-4295-877A-F5BD5A0F21F2.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 21
  • CE00E8E6-82C1-43D0-8590-BBCE8FB6B70B.jpeg
    CE00E8E6-82C1-43D0-8590-BBCE8FB6B70B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
A nice walk along the road leading to Ternelles Valley.
Trees and Flowers are blooming in the sunshine.
Birding was quiet, many Robins, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Black Redstarts, Black cap, and Sardinian Warblers in the fields and many Red Crossbills, Firecrests, and Great tits in the forests.
Only fleeting views of Blue Rockthrush, Single Black and Griffon Vultures, Kestrel, Ravens and Booted Eagle.
The big question is “ is the Valley now open to all?”
According to the Majorca daily, it is….

However, as always, things happen slower here.

Anybody has an update?
Ternelles owners are one of the 3 or 4 more rich families in Spain, they are upon the Justice and the municipalities and the islands goverment, they have too many powerful friends in spanish goverment, locals goverments, spanish parlamient and all instances. No one is able to open this public path.

Friends arrived today and we went back to Ternelles and Calle San Vincente.
Many more tourists have arrived and cyclists are beginning to become a nuisance.
Birds seen today included 2 Black Vultures, 3 Ravens, 2 Booted Eagles, 2 Red Kites, and 2 Blue Rock thrushes. Wren was heard calling at the Fishermans Walk and some 30 Shearwaters seen from the beach at San Vincente. Most were Balearic but a few Scopoli‘s seen.
The weather improves.

Hi can anybody advise a sure site for Balearic Warbler, Moltoni's Warbler and Mediterranean Flycatcher in Mallorca in spring? At best would be a patch with multiple pairs and easy to reach, to be sure to see them all in one morning.

Hi jurek
Mediterranean flycatcher is not difficult, they arrive here in big numbers.
Striata also pass through in spring.
For Moltoni’s warbler, I always go to Cuber reservoir but it’s quite a trip. Maybe somebody else could help with a nearer location.
Balearic warbler can be seen in the Bóquer valley, near the end I believe, where the path begins to drop down into the cove. Look to the right on the slopes.
There are many other locations like Son Real and Fisherman’s walk but I am a southerner and I’m less familiar with the areas around the north of the Island.
Mike Swiss, David, Phil et al, are more familiar and I’m sure they can help further with exact locations.
I’m missing Mallorca terribly. It’s still snowing and drizzly and the grandchildren now seem happier on their iPads than talking to an old person.
Off to Florida tomorrow so at least we will get some sunshine.
I know several people who are traveling to Mallorca so I hope you all have fun and see some great things.
Mike

Hi jurek
Mediterranean flycatcher is not difficult, they arrive here in big numbers.
Striata also pass through in spring.
For Moltoni’s warbler, I always go to Cuber reservoir but it’s quite a trip. Maybe somebody else could help with a nearer location.
Balearic warbler can be seen in the Bóquer valley, near the end I believe, where the path begins to drop down into the cove. Look to the right on the slopes.
There are many other locations like Son Real and Fisherman’s walk but I am a southerner and I’m less familiar with the areas around the north of the Island.
Mike Swiss, David, Phil et al, are more familiar and I’m sure they can help further with exact locations.
I’m missing Mallorca terribly. It’s still snowing and drizzly and the grandchildren now seem happier on their iPads than talking to an old person.
I know several people who are traveling to Mallorca so I hope you all have fun and see some great things.
Mike
I feel your pain with the grandkids, Mike! Have a safe flight to Florida and enjoy the sun:cool:

I was up at 2am yesterday to drive to Newcastle airport for an early flight. Departure delayed by 90 minutes to de ice the plane and to clear snow from the runway. Left in minus 4° and arrived at Palma mid morning to be greeted by 22°, sunshine and blue skies. Spotted several red kites and a booted eagle on the drive up to Port de Pollenca. After shopping and readying the apartment there was just time for a wander along the seafront. Shags, Auduoins gulls and a couple of little egret were the only birds note. I’ll start properly on Friday. Great to be back for a 2 weeks stay!

Hi jurek

Mike
Hopefully Moltoni's is still around early Sept?

Safe journey and good birding Mike!

Chris

I was up at 2am yesterday to drive to Newcastle airport for an early flight. Departure delayed by 90 minutes to de ice the plane and to clear snow from the runway. Left in minus 4° and arrived at Palma mid morning to be greeted by 22°, sunshine and blue skies. Spotted several red kites and a booted eagle on the drive up to Port de Pollenca. After shopping and readying the apartment there was just time for a wander along the seafront. Shags, Auduoins gulls and a couple of little egret were the only birds note. I’ll start properly on Friday. Great to be back for a 2 weeks stay!
Hi Dave, I was also on that flight yesterday, and I am also here for two weeks.

A fairly quiet day today, sunny but with a strong wind at times. Temperatures up to 24°. Went to Maristany hoping for a sky full of hirundines over the ponds. Instead saw only 1 swallow and 1 house Martin. Plenty of red crested pochard, a few common pochard, 4 great crested grebe. Water levels high, hoping not the same at Albufera tomorrow as not good for waders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back