• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (7 Viewers)

Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well? I will be back out in just over two weeks on what was supposed to be a cheap birding trip, but now the family will be in tow, cheap has gone out the window, but birding trip it will still be. I want to visit Lluc, somewhere I still haven't been, and was wondering if there was a short walk that can be done, maybe an hour at most, rather than a bit of a hike. Reason being, my wife has mobility issues so would more than likely be sat at the cafe while I go for a walk as I suspect any of the walks would be too much for her, so don't want to leave her for too long. Many thanks :D

Hi all, hope everyone is keeping well? I will be back out in just over two weeks on what was supposed to be a cheap birding trip, but now the family will be in tow, cheap has gone out the window, but birding trip it will still be. I want to visit Lluc, somewhere I still haven't been, and was wondering if there was a short walk that can be done, maybe an hour at most, rather than a bit of a hike. Reason being, my wife has mobility issues so would more than likely be sat at the cafe while I go for a walk as I suspect any of the walks would be too much for her, so don't want to leave her for too long. Many thanks :D
Hi Steve,
I am sure others can give you more information but I know the Jardi Botanic de Lluc is nearby and will be visiting it on our trip (primarily for butterflies and dragonflies in my case!)

HTH,

Chris

Hi Steve
The only walk I do at Lluc is down into The Valley on a Sunday only. It’s quite steep and not a short walk so that’s no good.
I don’t know of any other walks there but I hope someone else can help. It’s a great place to visit though with a café and monastery to see so there will be plenty to do.

I had a marvelous day today at Dungeness with some old birding mates.
One thing birders have are memories and it was hilarious looking back on all our birding adventures many years ago. We did get up to some mischief which made it all the more amusing.
Some Arctic skuas, Mediterranean gulls, Kittiwake, terns and various gulls kept our spirits up even though it was a bleak old rainy day.
Mike

Hi Steve
The only walk I do at Lluc is down into The Valley on a Sunday only. It’s quite steep and not a short walk so that’s no good.
I don’t know of any other walks there but I hope someone else can help. It’s a great place to visit though with a café and monastery to see so there will be plenty to do.

I had a marvelous day today at Dungeness with some old birding mates.
One thing birders have are memories and it was hilarious looking back on all our birding adventures many years ago. We did get up to some mischief which made it all the more amusing.
Some Arctic skuas, Mediterranean gulls, Kittiwake, terns and various gulls kept our spirits up even though it was a bleak old rainy day.
Mike
Thanks Mike :D sounds like a great day at Dungeness, I've yet to see any decent sea birds down there, but then my sea watching skills aren't up to much anyway. It's bleak down there at the best of times though today was rather wintry, bet you don't miss the good old British weather.

I'm hoping my daughter and her friend will come with us to Lluc while they are out, so hopefully at least keep my wife company. The trip has been pretty well hijacked but I'm determined to make it a birding trip. However, knowing what I'm like when I'm not alone on holiday, hangovers and the like may well come into play as well as family. Having said that, at least when I get back I have a week on my own in Norfolk to look forward to :D
Steve

Hi Steve,
I am sure others can give you more information but I know the Jardi Botanic de Lluc is nearby and will be visiting it on our trip (primarily for butterflies and dragonflies in my case!)

HTH,

Chris
Hi Steve,

I’d be keen to know how you get on there, especially with dragonflies. I’ve visited the valley at Lluc with Mike (it’s really good), but I don’t know theJardi Botanic at all.

Stew

Hi Steve,
We've visited Lluc on a number of occasions, catching the 231 bus from Porte de Pollenca which drops you off at the entrance to the Monastery. There is a nice cafe in the grounds that does delicious carrot cake. A short walk from the cafe are paths and steps leading up to a view across the valley below. In the past we've seen Black and Griffen Vultures, Booted Eagles, Eleneora's Falcon and Red Kites soaring on the the thermals.
Paul

A Garden warbler, Wheatears, Willow warblers and Redstarts all being reported.
Also two Montagu’s harrier seen on the central plain and a Lesser black-backed gull at the coast.
The harriers will no doubt leave, out through the south.
I’m hoping to catch a few this year, a couple of years back I managed eight departing for Africa but I was at the Cap nearly every day.
Can’t think I will get away with that again.
We return Tuesday and I will be down south at dawn on Wednesday.
Mike

Hi Steve,

I’d be keen to know how you get on there, especially with dragonflies. I’ve visited the valley at Lluc with Mike (it’s really good), but I don’t know theJardi Botanic at all.

Stew
Hi Stew

I'll let you know, if I get there. It's one of those places I keep saying I want to visit and never seem to get round to it.

Steve

Hi Steve,
We've visited Lluc on a number of occasions, catching the 231 bus from Porte de Pollenca which drops you off at the entrance to the Monastery. There is a nice cafe in the grounds that does delicious carrot cake. A short walk from the cafe are paths and steps leading up to a view across the valley below. In the past we've seen Black and Griffen Vultures, Booted Eagles, Eleneora's Falcon and Red Kites soaring on the the thermals.
Paul
Thanks Paul :D

Juanjo beat me to it by going to Cap de Ses Salines first thing.
No News yet but I hope he sees some migration.
Meanwhile, at Salobrar de Campos, Maties has seen a Pectoral sandpiper.
It’s a great bird to see here in Mallorca although a few have been seen in recent years, notably, two together seen at s’Albufera by StewB et al last year.
More news later I hope.
Mike

Hi,
Back again for a family vacation in late september (22-29) with two very keen young birders (12 and 9 years).
Last year we came a few weeks later but had some very nice days at s'albufera, maristany and boquer valley.
This year we're staying at the far end of alcudia, near the pins. Plan to spend some time in s'albufera, and try Son bosc/depardura and Son Real which we missed last year.
We would like to rent a car for a day or two and go up the mountains. After reading through the threads here, Cuber and mortitx seems like good destinations for both the views and a good chance on raptors/vultures.
Basic planning on google maps sugest a few different routes. Might i get some suggestions regarding preferred route , and other hot spots along the road?
High on the wish list this year is bee eaters, turtle dove, larks, bonellis, vultures and if lucky owls (barn, scoop). Other suggestions are welcome.
Regards
Joakim nordlund
Gotland, Sweden

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_195103_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_195103_Maps.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi Joakim
I’m sure others will help with the best route for you to take.
I’m still in the UK and all my records are in Mallorca so I can’t help with last dates for some of the summer breeders until I get back.
Some birds will have departed but I will send first and last dates for some of the species.
I’m worried that the Bee-eaters will have departed and Turtle doves may have gone too.
Bonelli’s eagles are best seen at Mortitx and Cúber will be good for both vulture species.
Short-toed larks will have gone I think. Thekla are resident so no worries there.
Scops owl is partly resident so they can still be heard. Seeing them is another matter but the approach road to the depuradora at dusk is best.
Barn owls are difficult too but Geordie David may be able to help. Long-eared owls are resident so you have every chance of seeing them.
I will write again next week.
All the best,
Mike

Thank you for your entusiasm!
I was thinking that it might be a bit late for the bee eaters, but not easy to read up on migration times ( i know our local times pretty well though). They visit our island rarely but almost yearly, so i might have to try harder to see them at home 😀.
Thekla larks will be just fine for the larks.
Will sure be enjoying every bird we see, chasing new ones isn't everything though the kids like to keep track and count them all.
Good migration times here on Gotland at the moment, lots of wading birds and a nice Branta Ruficollis today.
All the best
Joakim

Joakim
If you are going to Son Real the coast is very good.
Work your way down to the necropolis.
Larks and Pipits will be around plus some waders.
On blue walk number 4, there is a hide on the right-hand side with a drinking pond. This is a very good spot to stay for a while. Crossbills come to drink as do other species. It’s not be be missed!
I will write again.
Mike

Hello! I attach 2 images of the pectorals. They were very far away, so the photos are only testimonials. A very interesting day, which ended unexpectedly when I returned to the car. In a dense bush a bird was singing that reminded me a lot of the mysterious recording from a few days ago. So I spent more than half an hour trying to get closer, recording and trying to observe the songbird. In the end, when I thought it was impossible, I played one of the recordings I was making and the bird peeked out for a second to see what was happening. It was a nightingale! Now I'll upload the recording, see what you think.

Attachments

• Cmelanotos1setembre'23.jpg
    Cmelanotos1setembre'23.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Cmelanotos2setembre'23.jpg
    Cmelanotos2setembre'23.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 16
Here goes the recording. And a small comparison of a verse from the 2 recordings, mine and the one from a few days ago in Punta de n'Amer. Perhaps there were 2 birds in the Punta de n'Amer bush, and the one that could be observed briefly was not the one that sang?

Attachments

• Comparativa_Noid.mp3
    42.2 KB
  • Rossinyol_subsong.mp3
    487.6 KB
Hi Maties
Congratulations on the Pectoral sandpipers, a very nice find.
I hope they stay a few days so others can see them.

As for the recording, how interesting, especially as the friend you sent it to suggested Nightingale some time ago.
Yes, maybe the bird that showed with the large bill, was not the bird that sang.
It might well have been Olivaceous with a Nightingale singing in the background.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back