• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca - Turkestan Shrike? (1 Viewer)

BillHoneywell

Yesterday afternoon - Monday 3 April - I was with my wife and another friend on the south-west side of S'Albufereta, walking from the minor road down various tracks towards the reeds and water, virtually opposite the Club Pollentia hotel. We came to the end of a track near a small building with a couple of mules or donkeys in the field, and stopped to watch a Purple Heron flying by. Our attention was drawn to a shrike which had just landed on the fence nearby. The bird was about the same size as a Woodchat Shrike but its upperparts were about the same shade of grey as a Great Grey. It had a black stripe through its eye which narrowed in front of the eye so that when it looked straight at you the two sides met at a point. There was very little black in the wing - much less than either Great Grey or Lesser Grey - with a small white patch halfway along the edge of the wing. The breast and flanks were white, with a faint pale rosy-cream tinge. The bill seemed quite small and black. Legs were black. But the most striking thing about this bird was the fact that it had a pale russet-coloured tail, seen very clearly on the two occasions when it flew down on to the ground. I was able to watch the bird carefully for about 3 - 5 minutes, after which two Black Vultures flew high overhead: the shrike flew to the ground about 5 metres away and then flew off. I have seen Great Grey, Woodchat, Red-backed and Masked Shrikes and it was clear that this bird was a different species. Neither could it be Lesser Grey. I had to consult my field guide when I got back (Collins, Mullarney, Svenson etc) and could not find the bird in there: the Isabelline had the right tail colour and pattern of dark / light on the wing, but was much too sandy-coloured. I then looked on the internet and found that Turkestan Shrike (Lanius phoenicuroides) is an absolute dead ringer for this bird, but am still somewhat in shock at what I've seen. Has anyone else seen this bird at S'Albufereta or nearby? Can anyone advise what I should do next?

Hi Bill and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the ID forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon, meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

There's also a Mallorca sub-forum on Birdforum and a link to your query has been posted there. Several excellent local birders use the forum so I'm sure you will get a response - and people looking for it.
I have the latest Birds of the Iberian peninsula and Lanius phoenicuroides is not mentioned at all, as you probably know.
Best wishes
Martin

Can anyone advise what I should do next?

By now, if the jungle telegraph is working on Majorca, other birders on the island are likely to be already aware of your potentially interesting find. The logical thing to do would be to pay another visit with other competent birders in tow, armed with a decent camera and attempt to re-find it! If successful, get a detailed, feather-by-feather description and, if possible, a series of good photographs from a 'safe' distance, without stressing the bird unduly. You will then be better armed to make an accurate identification. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back