• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow or Rock Pipit please. (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

At Heysham, Lancashire UK earlier today I saw the attached bird on the foreshore. When I took the photo (it was poor light) I thought I was taking a photo of a Rock Pipit. However upon seeing the photo on the PC later, my doubts emerged. Please can anyone advise if this is in fact a Meadow pipit, or is it perhaps, after all, a Rock pipit?

Attachments

• DSC_6973.jpg
    DSC_6973.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 110
Hello Earnest,
no you identified it right in the field. Its a Rock Pipit for me, too. Please note:
  • dark, blackish legs
  • dark, sooty grey overall colouration (enhanced by high-iso,coupled with a small sensor shifting the colour towards Rock Pipit?)
  • many really blotchy, rounded streaks to underparts (in Meadow streaks are clear streacks, not rounded blops like here)

Hello Earnest,
no you identified it right in the field. Its a Rock Pipit for me, too. Please note:
  • dark, blackish legs
  • dark, sooty grey overall colouration (enhanced by high-iso,coupled with a small sensor shifting the colour towards Rock Pipit?)
  • many really blotchy, rounded streaks to underparts (in Meadow streaks are clear streacks, not rounded blops like here)
Thank you so much. With your help, I see that clearly now.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back