• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Melodious Warbler??? (1 Viewer)

Chabi

I took this photo the last weekend near my house in Ricla (Zaragoza-Spain). Light is very bad. I think that it´s a Melodious Warbler but.....Could be an Olivaceus Warbler??
Help please.

Regards from Spain
Javier Traín.

Attachments

• Identificacion.jpg
    Identificacion.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 277
Ola Javier,
Having just returned from your country, I have recent experience with both Melodious (very common) and Western Olivaceous (we had two, of which I only saw one) Warblers.
In my opinion, this bird is a Melodious Warbler. There seem to be yellow tones to the face, the upperparts seem too dark for Western Olivaceous, the bill length/thickness would appear to suit Melodious better, as does the less well-marked head pattern.
Regards,
Harry

Any hint of yellow (which this does appear to show) will eliminate Olivaceous. The large-headed appearance of the bird and general structure, as well as the fact it is showing this well, also point towards Melodious.

HTH

GV

Hello.

Julia I don´t remember the sound....but like you say me I still thinking that it´s a Melodious Warbler. Thanks¡¡

CJW said:
Err, isn't it an Icterine Warbler?

Shouldn't be on range, Chris, and although I thought the Primary projection was a little long for Melodious, that's what swung it if I'm honest.

Does have the slightly more "cutey" Melodious look to it too, though.

Sean

I thought the prims. looked quite long and those pale fringes to the secondaries would give a whopping wing panel and the blue legs...
If that was photographed in Britain I would have be going for Iccy.

Hi Chris,
The primary projection is actually quite difficult to evaluate with any certainty on the pic, but it seems not to be long enough for Icterine. As Sean said, the head shape is also better for Melodious...as is the breeding range! ;)
Harry

CJW said:
I thought the prims. looked quite long and those pale fringes to the secondaries would give a whopping wing panel and the blue legs...
If that was photographed in Britain I would have be going for Iccy.

Intially I agreed with you Chris. The primary projection does indeed seem long. The Crown seems more pointed, something I have noted with Icterine's in the past. However the wing pattern on an Icterine would have been slightly bolder and this seems quite bland plus looking at the legs (and I know it is in poor light) would suggest brownish legs. To sum up I would just about go for Melodious.

I have seen Icterine in Spain and Portugal (well below what should be the crossover line) so that is no guarantee that Icterine's wouldn't be there.

Hi Reader,
What time of the year did you see Icterines in Spain and Portugal, and how many of them? I am not aware of their exact status in Iberia, but I would imagine that they are at best a scarce annual passage migrant, on a par with the status here.
Harry

Bluish legs = Icky?

What's this one then? Title of photo might give it away....

Note on this Melodious the pale tips to the remiges. This is a juv, so it maybe different on an adult (which presumably the singing bird in the photo is), but the wing pattern on these pics shows as well as on the other.

GV

Attachments

• melodious.jpg
    melodious.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 142
  • melodious2.jpg
    melodious2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 137
Can't see this as Icterine personally. The primary projection is far too short; Icterine's an altogether longer-winged bird. Melodious Warblers in spring can sometimes have faintly pale edging on the secondaries, too, whereas Icterine shows a very prominent pale flash. This bird looks fine for Melodious on that score too, imho.

Rgds

Greg

Don't know if I'm getting mixed up here, as I haven't checked, but I believe a good "quick check"way of telling Icky/melodious in the field or from photos is to check whether the emargination falls in front of, or behind, the tertials.

In the original photo, it is clearly in front (i.e. towards the bill, not the tail), thus clinching Melodious.

Before anyone asks, I don't know where it would be on an Olivaceous, but with good views that should already have been ruled out on plumage colour.

GV

Yes, Chris, my point was that bluish legs didn't necessarily i.d. the other bird as Icky, as Melodious can show that too.

GV

ps your pic shows a Melodious ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back