• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Memory Lane or Still a User (1 Viewer)

JerryLogan

The Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt last run with the best coatings for the time - still a contender or hopelessly outrun by the current alphas? Or, slightly different question, it's $800 +\- in mint condition. Money best spent elsewhere (Conquest HD or such)? Or is still a rational choice all these years later?

Best to all,
Jerry

The Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt last run with the best coatings for the time - still a contender or hopelessly outrun by the current alphas? Or, slightly different question, it's $800 +\- in mint condition. Money best spent elsewhere (Conquest HD or such)? Or is still a rational choice all these years later?

Best to all,
Jerry
I had a Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and honestly although it had a nice big easy FOV and big exit pupils I feel it is outrun by the current alphas as you say. It didn't really compare optically, especially in contrast and brightness to my Swarovski SV's. Many will argue this because it is a popular binocular and it is really cool looking. If I were you I would buy the Zeiss Conquest HD if you are looking in that price range or get a current alpha if you want to spend more.

that's quite a lot of money to take a nostalgia trip.....I have maybe a dozen 50s through 90s binos that spur memories of bygone days.....but most of them were under 200 with at least half being under 100.....I use them when the mood strikes but even todays mid grade offerings give a better view in most situations....but sometimes its more than just about the view.....Id get the conquest for serious use then decide if I wanted to pursue older varieties as a side hobby...

Jerry, post 1,
I published an extensive test report about 7x42 binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. It includes the 7x42 Dialyt and the 7x42 Ultravid HD-plus by Leica. My conclusiuon is that the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 can compete very well with other 7x42's from other brands. It is still a lovely binocular with excellent handling comfort and high brightness because of its 6 mm exit pupil and over 90% light transmission.
I would buy one immediately if it would be one of the recent productions from between 1995 and 2004.
Gijs van Ginkel

Wouldnt you be able to buy a nikon EDG 7x42 second hand for that money?..one sold on Eb@y for 900 dollars ,minty..

Last edited:
Jerry, post 1,
I published an extensive test report about 7x42 binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. It includes the 7x42 Dialyt and the 7x42 Ultravid HD-plus by Leica. My conclusiuon is that the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 can compete very well with other 7x42's from other brands. It is still a lovely binocular with excellent handling comfort and high brightness because of its 6 mm exit pupil and over 90% light transmission.
I would buy one immediately if it would be one of the recent productions from between 1995 and 2004.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

I don't claim expertise with current 7x binoculars, particularly Zeiss and Leica products, but I really enjoy using the 7x42 BGAT*P that I've owned for several years. Zeiss put them into perfect working order under their transferrable warranty, :t: and they've never failed to perform. They fit well with my Swaro 8x42 SLC-HD and 8x30 SLC, which serve other purposes. So the Zeiss is both a keeper and a user.

Jerry, IMO they are a contender at the $800 level in mint condition.

Ed

Last edited:
Jerry:

I will give you my opinion of the Zeiss optics, that I have owned. The later Zeiss Dialyt models
are very good, and do not give up much to the Zeiss Conquest HD.

I had a Zeiss 10x40 BTP, and it was very good, both optically and I liked it especially for its
slim build and handling.

The Conquest HD is very good also, but if I had a choice, I would still have the Classic Dialyt.

Jerry

Jerry, post 1,
Gijs van Ginkel

I agree.

Is the 7x42 Bgatp one of the last leaded glass Zeiss? I've wondered if that has something to do with its stunning view which definitely has something of a wow factor. If I had to choose between using only this Zeiss or the more analytical SV8.5, I'd probably go with the Zeiss due to the unique and sweet aesthetic hue it somehow conjures. The older Zeiss feed my eyes and brain on a steady diet of the finest candy.

Rathaus

Best to all,
Jerry

Well Jerry, the responses just go to show how individual we all are, I have more modern Zeiss and Swaro binoculars, but my go to binocular is still my Zeiss 7x42 BGA T*P, I have found that I prefer the better colour rendition of the old glass,and it is so nice to hold and relaxing to use. The newer seem to have achieved slightly greater brightness at the expense of those warm colours, they just seem a bit harsh to me. My Zeiss 7x42 are still my favourites to use out of the 100+ plus binoculars in my collection.

Ben

I know this discussion is about the 7x42 and I don't want to derail an interesting topic, but was curious about the Dialyt 8x30. Did it fall into the same quality range? Sorry for wandering a bit off the topic, which has been very informative.

I know this discussion is about the 7x42 and I don't want to derail an interesting topic, but was curious about the Dialyt 8x30. Did it fall into the same quality range? Sorry for wandering a bit off the topic, which has been very informative.

Had both, still use the 8x30, not nearly as easy a view or as wonderfully wide a field,, but more practical for travel because a lot more compact.
The optical performance of the late T*P* versions of the 7x42 lags current day offerings only slightly in terms of transmission, not enough to make a difference in use.

Had both, still use the 8x30, not nearly as easy a view or as wonderfully wide a field,, but more practical for travel because a lot more compact.
The optical performance of the late T*P* versions of the 7x42 lags current day offerings only slightly in terms of transmission, not enough to make a difference in use.
Thanks for the information, etudiant.

Pretty much agree with Etudiant, I still have both, prefer the 7x but still a high quality glass though, comparable to the Swaro SLC 8X30 I have. The only thing I notice is tiny bit of curvature in my 8x30 Dialyt.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95019762@N07/20297824166/in/dateposted-public/

I have one of the last 8x30 Dialyt, purchased from an esteemed member here! To me it has that same beautiful view if the 7x42...not quite as easy but only due to its specs, otherwise just outstanding.
In fact, I was watching birds and aircraft at the airport a couple of weeks back, and I took along my 8x Habicht, 8x E2 and the 8x Zeiss Jahre Bgatp Dialyt. For pure viewing enjoyment on that particular day the Zeiss won out. It's fov is huge...on a par with the E2. These older Zeiss offer something extra over just pure analytical excellence.

Cheers, Rathaus

Best to all,
Jerry
Here is good comparison review on three Zeiss's. The 7x42 Dialyt, 7x42 Zeiss FL and the Zeiss 8x42 Conquest HD. The best thing to do is buy the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 on Ebay and try it and if you don't like it you can easily resell it for what you paid for it. The reviewer liked the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 the best of the three because he felt it was the sharpest on-axis but you may differ in your opinion. I have had the Conquest and the Zeiss Dialyt and I agree with him. The Zeiss Conquest has superb on-axis sharpness. Here is also a nice review by our own Holger Merlitz on the 7x42 Dialyt, 7x42 Habicht and the Docter 8x42. He thought the Habicht porro was the sharpest. It is hard to compete with a Habicht porro for sharpness. It is one of the sharpest binoculars ever made. The Dialyt is an excellent binocular it just doesn't WOW me like the Zeiss Conquest HD does.

http://www.quicktest.co.uk/Zeiss-7X42+8X42-compared.htm

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/swaro7x42.html

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply. I'm going to be gifting a budding young naturalist. The grand daughter loves the look of the Dialyt but I wanted to be sure the views would still live up to the looks.

Thanks again and best to all,
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back