• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopro HD overpriced? (1 Viewer)

Nivado

Hi!

I just had a very good deal on a 6 month old Meopro HD 8x32.
They are in an almost new condition for less than half the price.
I had the chance to look through a Meopro HD 8x32 2 years ago and remember they were not so easy to get a sharp view with.
Back than I was thinking they made have been a bad sample but the ones I bought now are the same, at least from what I remember.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad, but my eyes have to work more to get a good view and when I compare these with my Leica Trinovid HD and Bynolyt Albatross ED, both in 8x32... Well.. What a step up. They are both much easier on the eye, larger sweetspot, sharper, brighter.. Is this gap in quality normal between a 500 euro Meopro HD and a binocular of the 700-900 euro class?
I feel they are overrated and overpriced. Or maybe they are just not made for my eyes...

Grtz

The eyecups on the Meopros were too wide and did not work for me, additionally I do not wear glasses, so they were out for me. I would say that the Leica HDs are definitely a step up from the Meopros.

Andy W.

In Switzerland, the 8x32 MeoPro HD costs CHF 520, the 8x32 Trinovid HD CHF 986, so almost twice as much as the MeoPro.
No wonder the Trinovid should be „a step up“ from the MeoPro.
I find neither of them overrated or overpriced.

Canip is right, neither is overpriced. Meopta makes very good optics, just with the Meopro I needed the eyecups to be a bit more narrow in diameter. The optics were fine.

Andy W.

It seems Meopta has a lot of new models coming out right now, confusing and hard to judge, I suppose a good thing is to let the dust settle.

The Meopro, Optika, and various Meostar models.

Jerry

Ok, so that indeed makes it clear.
Like I already answered, I did not knew this difference was that obvious.
I don't think Meopta makes bad optics, on the contrary, I tested the Optika HD in both 8 and 10 power and remember that I was really impressed. Their view was on par with some 500€ optics I tested alongside.
I also have the Meostar S2 wich is in my opinion very close to the Swaro ATS, so no bad word about Meopta.
But this 8x32, I am just not sure about it, how do they compare with a Terra ED 8x32? I was possitive about the Zeiss when testing it last winter but it was an indoor test..

Canip is right, neither is overpriced. Meopta makes very good optics, just with the Meopro I needed the eyecups to be a bit more narrow in diameter.

Andy W.
So to you (as to me) the Meostar's 8x32 eyecups were too small, but the Meopro's too large? Can't Meopta find an in-between?!

Nivado,

I have never had a good time with the Terras, perhaps they were bad samples. They might work for you. Regarding the Meopro, perhaps you could check the 8X42s, it could just be that the Meopro 8X32 is not the best model of the group.

Ries, yes the eyecups are different (8x32 Meostar/8X42 Meopro) and since I do not wear glasses, I needed them (Meopros) fully or nearly fully extended, I guess if I wore glasses and they were retracted it might not be an issue.

Andy W.

Had the same problems with eyecups. MS too small. MP too large. Could never keep the MP in focus either. Too bad, it’s a very attractive bino.

Hi Andy,
This might be the case, since a college birder's Meopro HD 8x42 was to my memory pretty good when I looked through them.
Definitely more convincing than the two 8x32's I have tested.

I just noticed something..
When holding my hand in front of 1 of the objective lenses, I then tried to focus at its sharpest point.
To my surprise I couldn't achieve a good sharpness when looking through the left barrel. It was soft.
The right barrel looked pretty ok to me. There certainly is a difference between left and right barrel..
I don't think it has something to do with my eyes because when testing this with a Victory HT there was no difference so their must be something wrong I guess...

Now that I have seen this, I feel that this probably explains the difficult view so they're probably going...

Nivado,

You have encountered one of the characteristics of a sick glass, not the wonky focus with slag, but the dreaded (unequal tube focus)- both tubes do not focus simultaneously after diopter setting. Yes they have to go.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back