• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta B2 Possibilities? (3 Viewers)

John A Roberts

Australia
This morning I had a look at Google Patents, and there are 3 recent Meopta patents that may give an idea as to what a new B2 could include . . .

a) USD904480S
Shows a new external design for a binocular:

Overall Design.jpg
(there are more images in the patent)

b) US11474338B2
Features a focus mechanism where the user can alter the amount of focuser resistance:

Variable Focuser.jpg

c) US11372193B2
More unusually, features a focus mechanism where the user can electronically record preferred default focus distance(s) [by pressing the button 4],
to allow rapid refocusing between objects at different distances [a set distance being indicated by the LED 6]:

Focal Distance Recording.jpg

John

Attachments

• USD904480.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • US11474338.pdf
    811 KB · Views: 5
  • US11372193.pdf
    349.1 KB · Views: 6
b) US11474338B2
Features a focus mechanism where the user can alter the amount of focuser resistance:
The perfect manufacturer's response to too many complaints about focusers.

c) US11372193B2
More unusually, features a focus mechanism where the user can electronically record preferred default focus distance(s) [by pressing the button 4],
to allow rapid refocusing between objects at different distances [a set distance being indicated by the LED 6]:
But this patent has entirely generic descriptions of its components, with no occurrence of words like "electronic" or "LED", only vague terms like "indicator". Personally I can't imagine this feature being worth the addition of batteries etc (and there are other ways of measuring focus position in such a case, why be so specific about a magnetometer?) so I'd envision a completely analog mechanism with a little flag in a window, which sounds quite ingenious.

Still I don't think I'd find it useful, not only because refocusing isn't terribly difficult anyway, but because you'd have to move the bin away from your eyes to see the indicator. Well I suppose it could be made visible in the tube, but still this feature makes more sense in an AF camera lens that can do it all for you with a button press. If I had thought of this I'd want to patent it too, but I won't hold my breath until it appears on the market.

Last edited:
I like the first suggestion / patent as that applies to individual comfort.

I am not fond of the 'look' as it appears Meostar (if this is an image of their new B2) is just following the way of others in appearance. I enjoy the rather chubby style of the B1 x32 etc....

For the last patent.... I wouldn't use it either.

Great find, John! Got to search Google patents now that I know about it.

I used to attend auto shows in NYC, and the protoypes for new models in many cases were way sexier and had advanced featurers not found in the actual production models. So, I'm wondering if this is what we're seeing here, because these features are more advanced than anything the alphas have, and if the optics were up to par, would blow them away! I would love an adjustible focuser tension that suits my personal preferences. We were recently discussing this on another thread.

I'm not a fan of the "chubby" Meopta design any more than I was a fan of the chubby Nikon 8x42 EDG design (though I loved the optics), I need barrels to wrap my fingers around to get a steady grip. So, an open bridge design would work better for me.

It's funny now that Swarovski has moved away from the double bridge design with the NL, three top competitors are making wannabe ELs.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back