• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

midsize ZRS HD 8x32 and 10x32 (1 Viewer)

ZEN-RAY

We have been approached by many of you on the bird forum to produce some more compact 32mm binoculars over the last few years. We have been working on this project for the last 18 months. Well, scaling from 42mm to 32mm turns out not as simple as one would think, especially when I have the "luxury" treating this as an "optional" project. I would rather scrap it all together if the quality and usability do not meet our standard.

After numerous revision, we finally are ready to launch 8x32 and 10x32 ZRS HD. With weight of 15.5oz and length of 4.7", they will delight many of you who would keep them as pocket binoculars while enjoying the full 4mm exit pupil(8x32). Dielectric prism coating and FBMC are by default of course. We expect to start shipping them by the end of this month if not sooner.

Again, thank you all for the encouragement and support.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/zrshd8x32.html

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/zrshd10x32.html

Thanks

Charles

Charles,

Congratulations on the two new models. I am sure you and your staff put in a lot of work to make it happen. They look real nice! I hope they work out well for all.

First this year was the upgades to the Prime Spotting Scope, followed by these two new ZRS models. Now you have me wondering what is coming up next ........

I put in my pre order today. Will be an interesting comparison to the Bushnell Excursion 8x28 -- not totally fair given the Bushnells sold for 100 bucks but they do have excellent optics for the money, and more relevant, they are the same size / weight.

At 15.5 oz the ZRS are even lighter than the Sightron 8x32 and about the same as the Bushnell 8x28, and will hopefully represent a really nice lightweight "compromise" for those of us (like me) who (1) hate the handling of wimpy little double hinge compacts, but (2) want something significantly lighter and more compact than the typical 8x32 for car / hiking use, and (3) don't want to pay through the nose for the mediocre package of the Swaro CL. Up until now the Bushnell 8x28 seemed like the only choice, but if the ZRS has the optical quality of its 42mm cousins it should be a big hit. Ther just aren't many options (especially now that the Bushnell is discontinued) in that "smaller than a typical 8x32 but not as tiny as a true compact" segment.

My expectation is that the ZRS will be much better than the Bushnell optically (especially brightness, an area where the Bushnell suffers) and handle more like a "real" 8x32. If it does it's a winner.

I also have my 8x32 Minox BD Asph as a good reference for comparison as a more standard 8x32 with high quality optics.

Given the slim barrels etc, it's too bad that the minimum IPD on these is 56 mm. I'd really like to see another company besides Zeiss offer single-hinge roofs that reach 52 mm or less.

--AP

If it does I want a partial refund since I already paid for my pre-order! :p

I'd also love to hear an update on the shipping expectation, looks like it's edging closer to the "end of the month" than the "if not sooner"!

I just today, July 5, received my ZR 10x32s which I pre-ordered - I have now had them for less than 30 minutes but I must say I am impressed! They seem to be a great value for the price.

The only other 10x32s I have to compare them with are my Swaro EL SVs which cost 10x as much. First impressions, the ZRs are very sharp, right up there with the Swaros in the center - but the field is not flat and in focus all the way across like the Swaros. The Swaros may be brighter, I will have to see tonight at dusk and beyond, but they do appear in bright daylight and even looking into shadows to have a whiter/bluer cast than the ZRs which appear a bit yellowish in comparison. About a 6.2 degree field for the ZRs versus 6.8 for the Swaros. The ZRs are smaller, and for me have good ergonomics.

The ZRs focus the other way towards infinity than the Swaros, that is, they focus CCW to infinity. Close focus for the ZRs is about 8' for me, the Swaros focus at about 6'. The ZR focuser is about 480 degrees lock-to-lock, my Swaros take almost 740. The focus action on the ZRs is to me smoother than the Swaros, almost as good as the focus on my ZR Prime HDs although there is just a slight bit of mush/play, barely noticeable. The Swaro focus action, although having been improved by a trip back to Cranston, is still not as good.

Now I must go out and play with them, enough of this!

Attachments

• binoculars_10x32_ZenRay&Swaro_20130705_001s.JPG
    binoculars_10x32_ZenRay&Swaro_20130705_001s.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 796
Nice! :) Mine should be delivered today!

I got the 8x32 though... since you mentioned the FOV, it was a bit odd to me how the FOV of the 10x32 was so much smaller than that of the 8x32. The FOV spec on the 8x32 is about 7.8 degrees (409ft) whereas it's only 6.2 degrees on the 10x. There is always a FOV spread between 10x and 8x of course, but typically it's closer and the higher power model ends up with a wider apparent FOV as a consequence.

But good to hear about the positive first impressions! And the photo really shows how compact the ZRS is. I'm looking forward to getting mine.

(also side note but I'm always amused to hear yet another report of poor focus knob quality on a Swaro.... for the love of god, considering how amazing their binoculars are why can't they engineer a perfect focus knob for $2k???)

OA....what have you put on the focuser knob on your swaro ?

Anders

http://www.amazon.com/Intertape-1727-Non-Slip-2-Inches-8-Feet/dp/B001E535VG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4

Non-slip tape, or tread tape, commonly used on stairs. A 2" x 8' roll for a few bucks is a lifetime supply! I have put it on several of my binoculars' focus knobs (the ones that needed it) and am very pleased at how it provides sure traction wet or dry with even the slightest pressure. It certainly improved the Swaro's focus!

I today received my 8x32 version. My impressions of the optics are similar to those of OsageArcher with his/her 10x32's, but the focusing leaves much to be desired. So far I find it quite sloppy, and it has some serious rough spots. Does the focusing mechanism, over time, get smoother and have less backlash? I hear the sounds of a lot of grease in there.

Optically it has an "easy view" for me: I can just pick them up and look without much futzing around. The "reverse direction" focus is somewhat disconcerting. I have not yet determined whether the diopter adjustment needs to be changed for different distances; I realize my eyes, with my contact lenses, sometimes momentarily change their strength just a hair. The sweet spot is small, but the center is sharp and contrasty. I don't mind the small sweet spot; I figure you can't have everything in a roof of this price. They are easy to hand-hold and hold steady. The color is neutral. There is a fair amount of pincushion distortion, and a little chromatic aberration off-center, but neither is at all objectionable to me.

It's the focuser that may have me want to exchange them for another pair (unless it self-improves).

Howard

Focusers can "smooth out" over time (e.g. if they start out a bit stiff) but things like slop or backlash will not go away (if anything they'll probably get worse).

To be honest, having used/owned several Z-R products, the focuser is really their achilles heel in terms of QC. My 7x36 ED2 had a ton of slop in the focus knob and the overall focal ratio was too slow... the 8x43 ED3 I bought later on started out great (much better tension and overall gearing ratio) but eventually also developed some slop over time. It's not endemic to all budget bins though, as Vortex (Viper, D'back) and Nikon (Monarch) seem to be able to knock out smooth, clean focus knobs on lower priced lines.

Slop / play, backlash, too fast, too slow, too stiff... if you aren't happy with the focus knob, I'd consider sending it back for service / replacement. Charles will take care of you -- the one thing you cannot fault them on is customer service.

Slop / play, backlash, too fast, too slow, too stiff... if you aren't happy with the focus knob, I'd consider sending it back for service / replacement. Charles will take care of you -- the one thing you cannot fault them on is customer service.

Thanks. I'll probably call on Monday. Besides having to move the focus wheel so far back and forth to get good focus, I am finding the diopter adjustment seems to require resetting for different distances.

The wide field is very nice. Eye relief is adequate to see the entire field without glasses (unlike with my 8x25 Nikon Trailblazer with its some 12 mm eye relief). With eyeglasses, I cannot see the entire field, but what I can see is substantial.

My postal scale says this 8x32 weighs 16.6 oz. That is with the objective caps installed.

I am glad that you guys received the 32mm ZRS HD all right. We were hesitating about 32mm size. But after having used them for the last few months, I started appreciating the mid-size binoculars more. I hope you all enjoy your pairs.

Charles

This afternoon (Eastern time) I had the pleasure of talking with Charles. He's going to take care of the issues, and I'm very happy about it all. Great service, as all Zen-Ray users have posted.

Howard

Zen-Ray ZRS HD 8x32 Review & Comparison

Ok Ok Den Dee here it is! o:D

I have had my new 8x32 ZRS for almost a week now, and have been comparing it to my other two binoculars on hand:

1. Minox BD BR 8x32 ALT (aspherical)
2. Bushnell Excursion 8x28

These are useful benchmarks for comparison because the Minox is a solid mid-tier 8x32 which sold for ~$500ish when it was new, and the Bushnell 8x28 was a somewhat legendary budget option as a nice compact backup for people who hate tiny binoculars (25mm or smaller).

The most obvious appeal of the new 32mm ZRS of course is its compact size and exceptionally low weight. Since the Bushnell was discontinued, there really isn't much out there for someone who wants a decent, light-weight option for hiking or travel that doesn't sacrifice much optically to a "full sized" binocular, and doesn't want to spend $400+ on an Opticron MG or $900+ on a Swaro CL.

Quick conclusion for those who don't want to read the rest:

In short, I think Zen-Ray absolutely nailed it with this binocular. It fits this niche perfectly. In terms of handling and "feel" it works like a normal binocular (not annoyingly small or fiddly like most double-hinge subcompacts), just throw it up to your eyes and look at stuff.

I think this binocular can be thought of as the new-and-improved spiritual successor to the Bushnell 8x28, or alternately the "poor man's Swaro CL". It's small, it's light, it's well built, it handles nicely, it has nice optics, it has a solid warranty backed by a great company, and it only costs 200 bucks.

For someone who has nice "main" binoculars but wants a solid, lightweight option for those times where weight is a concern, but doesn't want to go to the <3mm exit pupil and annoying handling of tiny subcompacts... and also can't stomach the thought of dropping 900 bucks on a Swaro 8x30CL just to get something decent that's lighter, the ZRS merits serious consideration. It's not a world-beater optically, but it's bright and sharp on-axis, and the overall package is excellent.

Build and Ergonomics

The 32mm ZRS feels very solid and well built. The textured rubber armor is solid and comfortable, and it feels good in my average-sized hands. It's probably a bit too short for people with big hands to use comfortably. It's a traditional single-hinge "H body" design, and the central hinge area is narrow enough that there is plenty of room on the barrel to wrap two fingers without blocking the objectives. I find the most comfortable hold for me is index finger on the focus knob, two fingers on the hinge, and my pinky resting on the barrel in front of the hinge.

With this hold, it handles like a "normal" binocular for me. In this regard it feels better than the slightly smaller/stubbier Bushnell. I don't "feel" like I'm handling a compact, but it weighs so little that I barely notice it slung over my shoulder when not in use.

The eyecups are a standard design, with comfortable rubber covering a metal cylinder underneath. The eyecups rotate out with one intermediate stop. None of the stops are "rock solid" like some more expensive binoculars I've used, but they hold their place fine. The eyecups are much more comfortable than the more hard-edged versions on the Bushnell 8x28.

Eye relief works fine for me (I don't wear glasses). With eyecups fully extended I can just plop them in my eye sockets and look through them. I would imagine someone with glasses might see some minimal cut-off of the FOV, depending on the shape of their face and how thick the glasses are.

Central hinge tension is slightly looser than I like, I would prefer it a little firmer to hold the IPD position.

They are so light that I can use them easily one-handed for a quick look, and I only need to brace them lightly with a finger or two of my off hand for a steadier view.

The accessories seem to be the standard ZRS package; it appears they simply repurposed the case from the 42mm ZRS, because it is somewhat comically large for the much more compact 32mm. Rainguard and objective covers are standard soft rubber deals, and both stay put. The single-hinge design allows for the objective covers to be well tethered with rubber loops, and they don't seem to be in any danger of falling off. I ended up using the nicer contoured neoprene strap that I have left over from when I had the ED3 (the ZRS strap is similar but not as padded or contoured).

Overall build quality is excellent for the price point. It absolutely blows away the Bushnell 8x28 in build quality (which feels very cheap, the compromise for such nice optics at such a low price) but falls short of the little Minox which is built like a tank.

Focusing

The focus knob on my sample is wonderful. It is smooth and light, with only a teensy tiny bit of free play that is barely noticeable. Much better than the focus knob on the ED2, but doesn't feel quite as robustly machined as that on the ED3 (although my ED3 knob ended up developing some minor free play).

Focus speed as mentioned by others is a standard 1.5 turns rack-to-rack. Much of the focus travel is in the <10ft/3m close focus range. I did a little test of the 10ft>infinity travel, and it's about 1/2 turn, with about 3/4 turn left for closer than 10ft and about 1/4 turn past infinity. Close focus seems as spec'd (~6ft). The focus is a nice speed, although if I had my choice I'd make it a wee bit faster. The Minox BD BR has a really smooth, fast focus, with only 1/4 turn total for 10ft>infinity, which I like better since 95% of my focusing can be done with one "swipe" of the finger. Going from 10ft to infinity or back on the Zen is a two "swipe" affair for me.

As mentioned by others the Zen focus CCW to infinity, but this is the same as my other binoculars. I don't really have a preference in this area.

Optics

For anyone familiar with Zen-Ray's binoculars, the optical package of the 32mm ZRS will not be a surprise. While I haven't tried the 42mm ZRS, I've owned the Vista (8x42), ED2 (7x36), and ED3 (8x43), and Charles has successfully brought comparable optical quality to this 32mm body. It essentially has what I've found to be the typical Zen-Ray optical formula: nice and bright with the dielectric coatings, very sharp on axis, moderate sweet spot, plenty of pincushion, mediocre edges.

The view is bright, obviously brighter than the somewhat "dingy" Bushnell. I was expecting it to be brighter than the Minox with its older silver coatings, but in fact they are effectively equal. The Zen appears maybe a hair brighter in daylight, but the Minox reverses things in dark conditions (e.g. reading street signs or license plates at night). So it's a wash there. Therefore, based on memory, I would expect that it's not as bright as the ED3.

The color appears to be nearly neutral, with maybe a slightly yellow tinge, the severity of which depends on the lighting conditions (ranging from imperceptible to a little noticeable).

Chromatic Aberration (CA) appears to be average, about equal with the other binoculars I have. Minimal in the center, moderate at the edges, easy to induce if you know how. Although it has similar intensity/size, the purple/green fringing on the Minox appears to be "sharper", whereas on the ZRS it's a bit smudgier/fuzzier. I attribute some of this to the larger, better corrected sweet spot on the Minox (more on that later).

The "sweet spot" is typical for the budget binocular price class, with about 50-60% of the FOV appearing to be "clean" and in focus when you are looking at something. From there it starts blurring gradually and is quite blury at the edges. Most of this blurring is field curvature, as I can focus it out when I look towards the edge, but I can still never get it totally sharp in the other regions. There is some visible darkening at the edge of the FOV.

I find all three of my binoculars to have similar sharpness on axis. The Bushnell 8x28 is a weird cat, with a smallish sweet spot but almost all the blurring coming from field curvature such that I can get sharpness nearly out to the edge if I refocus. The Minox BD BR (with its fancier glass and aspheric lens elements) has a much larger sweet spot, making for a more "relaxed" view; and even the areas that are blurry towards the edge can be easily refocused.

Borrowing from a comment James Holdsworth made in the Zeiss Terra ED thread, I started to look more critically at (what he calls) the "super-sweetspot", which James defines as "that area of the centrefield that maintains perfect sharpness". In this case, the super-sweetspot is quite small. To achieve maximum sharpness (e.g. reading tiny letters on a distant sign) you basically have to be lined up carefully on axis. The "super sharpness" falls off right away off axis, and then is "ok sharp" for the rest of the sweet spot area. In this respect it is about equal to the Bushnell, but again well behind the Minox.

The combination of the light focus and tiny "super-sweetspot" means that, if you really want to dial in something with perfect focus, you have to be carefully lined up on axis. If you aren't, you will find yourself "hunting" back and forth trying to dial it in. To really get that "snap" of perfect focus on something small with micro contrast detail, you do need to get it well aligned.

As noted above there is plenty of pincushion distortion, although not as bad as the ultra-widefield 7x36 ED2 (based on memory). It has a little more pincushion than the Bushnell 8x28, and a lot more than the Minox BD BR (which has a fairly flat view thanks to its aspheric elements). I do perceive some "rolling bowl" type of angular distortion when I pan, probably due to a combination of the pincushion and curvature.

Considering this binocular doesn't have an "ultra wide" FOV, I would have hoped that Zen-Ray could have designed it with a slightly better corrected FOV (a little flatter, a little less pincushion, less drop-off in illumination towards the edge). However, I am assuming a lot of this was a concession to saving weight, as putting in larger prisms and more complex eyepieces would have added several ounces of glass. When you feel the "heft" of the ZRS in the hand, it's obvious you are not dealing with monster prisms and oculars, as it doesn't have that weighty, back-heavy feel of heavier 32mm glass (like my Minox or my old Alpen Rainer). So you sacrifice some goodness off axis, but the trade-off is an extremely light and handy package.

Conclusion & Summary

Overall, the optics are excellent for a $200 binocular. The view is bright, with the full 4mm exit pupil it's easy to use, it's very sharp on axis, and the sweet spot is competitive for the price point. If you are somebody who is really bothered by pincushion, mediocre edges, and CA, then it's not for you, but then again you probably aren't going to find anything at $200 that makes you happy.

It beats the Bushnell 8x28 optically, but not by as much as I was expecting. The major advantage is brightness, build quality and overall handling. The ZRS feels less "fiddly" than the Bushnell and is just easier to use (combination of ergonomics, eyecups, and larger exit pupil).... but it's not really any sharper or cleaner optically.

It also falls short of the Minox overall. Physically, the Minox has superior build quality. Optically, although it's not any sharper or brighter, the advantages of the extra glass (larger prisms, aspheric elements) are pretty obvious. The FOV of the Minox is flatter and better corrected, with a much wider sweetspot and "super-sweetspot", less pincushion, and better edges. This gives the subjective impression of a more "relaxed" view that is less fatiguing to use for extended periods. But of course the Minox is more expensive glass, and that "ease of view" is definitely something I notice with nicer binoculars compared to budget glass.

But none of this is a knock on the ZRS 8x32; remember, it only costs 200 bucks and weighs 16oz! One test I like to think about is whether I could use a given binocular and be happy if it was my only pair; the ZRS 8x32 passes this test for sure. The Bushnell BTW doesn't pass this test, thanks to its somewhat more fiddly handling, dingier view, and cheaper build.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back