• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Military, military grade, consumer - what's what? (1 Viewer)

2. The US military does use the M24 7x28 binocular. I noted that Maven makes a similar configuration, a 7x28. I did NOT say that the US military used the Maven, but that some soldiers do purchase their own equipment and this would be an example. It is a 7x28 and fits in a BDU pocket. It is a quality product that some might prefer.
Interesting binocular. Any idea how the optical quality is comparing with e.g. the Leica Retrovid 7x35?

I have never seen the Leica. It is a Maven C series binocular, so it is good but not alpha quality. Their B series is close to it. I carry it a lot while walking as I can use it with my glasses and it provides a very sharp image. I have a fondness for 7x as it is easier for me to hold steady.

WJC, [...]
You might find that being less condescending would make for more pleasant interactions. Just a thought. Cheers.
A tiger cannot change his stripes. Only thing that helped was the ignore list. I had one interaction with this so-called expert (who alreay proclaimed so much nonsense on this forum to be "fact" that I doubt his expertise by now) and the first thing he did was insult me, though we never interacted on the forum before. Tells me all I need to know about a person. I'm too old for this.

A tiger cannot change his stripes. Only thing that helped was the ignore list. I had one interaction with this so-called expert (who alreay proclaimed so much nonsense on this forum to be "fact" that I doubt his expertise by now) and the first thing he did was insult me, though we never interacted on the forum before. Tells me all I need to know about a person. I'm too old for this.
I guess I don't understand the mentality. We are just talking about binoculars, not life and death issues. If find such arrogance incomprehensible. It bordered on hectoring. Fortunately he has not responded, so maybe he got the message.

As a non native English speaker I had to look up what that word means :unsure:

It bordered on hectoring.
For sure he is somewhat declamatory :rolleyes: I don’t think he is a bad person, i even like his posts somehow, don’t take it too serious and yes he can be sort of insulting but he means it as humor he told me….:sneaky:

I have never seen the Leica. It is a Maven C series binocular, so it is good but not alpha quality. Their B series is close to it. I carry it a lot while walking as I can use it with my glasses and it provides a very sharp image. I have a fondness for 7x as it is easier for me to hold steady.
Yes, i agree a lightweight 7x is great for hiking i guess. It’s on my binocular list for next year, deo volente.

Nice vacation photo with the cannon on the ship, reminds me for some reason of Karl Friedrich Hieronymus baron von Münchhausen.

baron-artillerymen-illustration-cannonball-edition-Rudolf-Erich.jpg
Ah! It has been more than 60 years since I read a Baron Munchausen story. Even more years since my father told me stories inspired by the Baron. Thank you!

Stay safe,
Arthur

May I suggest certain members look up the current alternative use of the word “snowflake”.

LGM
As in Wikipedia:" "Snowflake" is a derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. The term gained prominence in the 2010s."

Often used about millenials and the like...

In the old days sometimes the military had some of the best quality binoculars of their time. Like the Zeiss 8x60 U-Boat-commander's binocular. (Sort of a WW2 "WX") And likely many other naval binoculars before and after were of higher quality when visual observation was key to hitting any target over long distances. Even then the mass of military binoculars was just made to be robust and standardised, not necessarily top level quality but solid mainstream, most of them simplified for wartime production needs.
Sometimes the military added exotic requirements like extreme g-tolerance (Steiner) or extreme radioactive radiation resistance (Zeiss Jena EDF) or laser protection (Bundeswehr Hensoldt/Zeiss current issue "Feros").
Today infrared, video, drones, satellite and networking make traditional optical only binoculars unwanted by the military it seems. Some basic models are used but nothing exciting anymore. The military moved on to electronic targeting devices with range finders and other features like these:
Handheld Equipment | Safran Vectronix
Looking at incidents with modern warships hitting other vessels and such maybe a new emphasis on issuing more binoculars again would save money?

As in Wikipedia:" "Snowflake" is a derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. The term gained prominence in the 2010s."

Often used about millenials and the like...

... although, as a quick skim-read through this and other threads where Bill the Bleater has honoured us with his presence will soon show, such characteristics are by no means limited to millennials...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back