• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mindo: Birding the West Slope of Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Great report and it seems you had a great time. We visited the same are as you did and Iam now starting with the report to continue the Ecuador coverage for birdforum. Funny how visiting the same area can provide a difference in birds.
I felt we could have needed one more day on the western slope as well to get some of the higher altitude birds in the Bellavista area, where we missed a good bunch. Iam especially jealous on the Mountain-Toucan :D

Great report and it seems you had a great time. We visited the same are as you did and Iam now starting with the report to continue the Ecuador coverage for birdforum. Funny how visiting the same area can provide a difference in birds.
I felt we could have needed one more day on the western slope as well to get some of the higher altitude birds in the Bellavista area, where we missed a good bunch. Iam especially jealous on the Mountain-Toucan :D
I was reading your report and looking forward to see the difference between the two trips. Although, I'm sure you got a lot more that I missed out on due to time.

Bellavista is great, but it was definitely a place I wouldn't have as fond memories if we didn't do the revenge attempt on the last morning since we missed all the targets except for the Mountain Toucan and the Sunangel, early mornings (full day is possible), is necessary for that part of the West slope.

I’ve gotten through Dortmundbirder’s report, put the finishing touches on my Hawaii trip and looking forward to reading this one.
Thanks for posting-
Steve

• October 27 (Refugio Paz de las Aves and Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge)​
Today was an early start, with us leaving around 4 towards what's likely the most popular birding hotspot in the whole of the Mindo area, Refugio Paz de las Aves. Normally, such an early rise isn't needed, but Nelson brought the temptation by saying we would try for owls before sunrise. The first stop was just outside of the turn to enter Mindo, and outside of the gigantic cock-of-the-rock statue, no birds were seen or heard, though we heard plenty of rain frogs, thankfully no rain.​
From here we moved to the entrance road of Paz de las Aves in an attempt for two nocturnal specialties of the area. The first was the strictly nocturnal Rufescent Screech-Owl, there's a known roosting site high up on the forest next to the road and we spent about 40 minutes playing back and forth with this vocal but uncooperative for views owl. While waiting, I couldn't help but take notice of how clear the sky was and how many stars I could see in it, the lack of light pollution was a huge welcome and needless to say that I cursed my incapability to take a good shot with either my phone or camera of the view. Eventually, while Nelson was trying to switch calls to see if the owl could be coaxed into view, a brown blur flew past us and I only saw it because of luck and the spotlight hitting the right area. This was the only views we'd get from the owl, but while trying to spotlight it and find the eyes (now from the bird calling below us), I noticed a snappy flight with two long extensions following behind it, my brain short-circuited for a bit because I thought I saw seeing a Scissor or Fork-tailed Flycatcher, before I properly registered that it was a male Lyre-tailed Nightjar! I told Nelson to get on it and eventually the bird perched in front of us for about 5 minutes! At this point, the sun was rising and there was a change morning chorus, so we had to hurry to reach the first attraction of this great place, in the cock-of-the-rock lek. We met with Rodrigo Paz on the way and we told him of the nightjar since there wasn't one roosting elsewhere within the property to show guests, but it turns out the bird left the perch soon after we left and nobody else saw it.​
The property currently has two different leks, with normally one having a shorter walk but a much further view of the birds, so we went to the one that required a slightly longer walk, but much better views of the birds. Along the way we heard a number of cloud forest species but we stopped for none, except for a calling, male Golden-headed Quetzal. When we finally reached the lek, we had about 40 minutes of activity before the birds dispersed for the morning, but I doubt anyone in the group complained of seeing a dozen Andean Cock-of-the-rock calling and showing off at eye level, at one point, a female briefly came in and needless to say, the males got a bit too excited. While in the lek, we were hearing the whistling calls of a Scaled Fruiteater, which sadly did not come to show, making it my only dipped fruiteater of the trip; we also heard a Dark-backed Wood-Quail further down the hillside and as we got ready to go to the first lek where Angel normally feeds plantains to them, instead he told us to follow him up the trail since he was trying to get a new bird accustomed to him. This bird gave us a good 30 minutes of expectation before we got some views of it in the understory, while waiting for it however, we had great views of Gray-breasted Wood-Wren, Mountain Wren and heard a few Plumbeous Pigeons.​
Once we saw the wood-quail, we began alking back to the car, which we soon realized it was easier said than done with the overwhelming activity in the forest. From the trees in the distance called Andean Solitaire, Ecuadorian and Pale-eyed Thrush, a small mixed flock showed us views of Montane Woodcreeper, Golden-bellied Flycatcher, Slate-throated Redstart and Dusky Chlorospingus among others. A female White-booted Racket-tail was briefly seen by me before it flew off, and it would turn out to be the only one we'd see in the property, when we reached a clearing, we had a flock of Maroon-tailed Parakeet feed in the trees while a flock of Barred Parakeet showed themselves as they flew above us. Eventually we got back to the car and made our first antpitta spot of the morning; the bird in question is the Yellow-breasted Antpitta, of which Rodrigo called in to come get their "spaghetti" (chopped worms), Nelson later told me that there was a Crested Guan calling in the back, but antpittas are king here.​
After everyone got great views and pictures, we drove to the kitchen/garden area, it was around 9, so we were all wanting the famous breakfast that's offered in Paz de las Aves, but before that, our attention was taken to the hummingbird feeders and flowers of the garden. A number of hummers could be seen here including Fawn-breasted Brilliant, Lesser Violetear, Speckled Hummingbird and a total of three White-throated Daggerbills, an uncommon visitor to the flowers within Refugio Paz de las Aves. This last bird is especially noteworthy since it was my lifer number 1,000! I got a decent shot of this milestone bird and saw an attempt of a mating display, before going inside for breakfast; but that didn't stop me from looking outside, which resulted in taking a big gulp of milk before calling out a Crimson-rumped Toucanet. After finishing breakfast, I went out and relocated the bird alongside the couple of British naturalists that were doing a day visit like I was (the other participants of the day were staying within the property's new cabins).​
From there, it was back to the cars and time to move to the fruit feeders. The feeders were a mixed reception, as Nelson put it, we came in the low season, most of the big feeder action occur during the wet season since the trees in the forest are not fruiting. However, a mixed reception, is still a positive one when more than half of the species are lifers, Blue-winged Mountain Tanager, White-winged Brushfinch, Yellow-bellied Siskin, Orange-bellied Euphonia, and White-crested Eleania were a few of the visitors. In a nearby tree, Angel pointed us to the Black-and-white Owl that normally perches in the feeder at night, although normally the bird roosts far away from the site. The hummingbird feeders provided a bit more variety in both color and size, with Purple-throated Woodstar, Andean Emerald, Brown Inca, Empress Brilliant, Violet-tailed Sylph, Velvet-purple and Buff-tailed Coronet being just a few of the visitors.​
But now, it was time for the big show and the stars were the antpittas. First we went down a couple dozen steps until we were signaled to stay quiet and keep an eye out since there were two different antpittas being called. It took less than 10 minutes before we were told to move further down the stairs as the Ochre-breasted Antpitta was coming in, very soon I got a few glimpses of it, along with a decent shot, before we were called to go back up the steps because the Moustached Antpitta came in! Soon enough, I also got views and pictures of this bird before it went into the bushes and I went going back down the steps for better of the Ochre-breasted and hoping the other visitors could take my spot and get better views. Turns out that this was my best decision, since no sooner after I got there, a second Moustached Antpitta showed alongside the Ochre-breasted Antpitta and I got great views and photos of both species out in the open!​
Now, it was time to see the bird that truly made Angel Paz a household name for any international birder, the Giant Antpitta, but before reaching that part of the trail, we were greeted with what I can only call my first proper Neotropical mixed flock. There were at least 40 different species represented on this flock, many we had already seen, but some of the new additions included Flavescent Flycatcher, Ashy-headed Tyrannulet, Marble-faced Bristle-Tyrant, Metallic-green Tanager, Black-and-white Becard, Red-faced Spinetail, Rusty-winged Barbtail, Three-striped Warbler and Capped Conebill.​
Eventually we moved away from this monster-sized gift, partially because we thought we IDed every possible bird within the flock and partially because the descendant of Maria the Giant Antpitta was finally responding. I got there as fast as I could, I sat down in the dirt and waited to see what was probably one of the most iconic birds of Ecuador, if not all of the Americas, and that without a doubt, none of us would have seen without the effort and protection of the forest that Angel Paz and his brother Rodrigo have done. Sure enough, the Giant Antpitta came in, it saw us, then it saw the worms, it ate a few and took the rest back into the forest, probably nesting somewhere, moment gone in a few minutes but definitely a trip highlight.​
After this amazing experience, we began walking back to the trail entrance, but not before we were literally greeted at arm’s length by a female Masked Trogon. Normally, I recommend to take a camera with good zoom if you want to get any good shots of birds, but while in Ecuador, I found out that at least a third of the species I saw, I probably could have taken great ID shots just from my phone, the birds were that close at times. But, even though the Scaled Fruiteater wasn’t cooperating, Nelson and Angel’s nephew, eventually got into a small competition to whistle in an Orange-breasted Fruiteater they were hearing. Soon enough we ended with not one, but two males of this beautiful cotinga moving close to where the owl was roosting alongside a third one singing in the distance.​
The final stop of the day was for the Chestnut-crowned Antpitta and if you were willing to hike a bit more (and pay a small fee), you would be taken to see the Ocellated Tapaculo, I personally chose to skip the tapaculo in the vain hope to see it elsewhere and instead focused on seeing the last of the five possible antpittas in the property. The views were a bit further away than the other antpittas but great nonetheless and we said goodbye to everyone before driving out. By the end of checklist tracking we had encountered exactly 100 species during our time in Paz de las Aves, marking our first century day (and hotspot) but also showing how lucky we were that morning since we did miss a few species, but all the antpittas showed well without having to spend hours as it’s the case sometimes and the mixed flock was an unexpected treat that nobody can predict.​
While driving through Tandayapa Valley, we made a roadside stop in hope to see pretty much any of the big targets possible in the valley, Beautiful Jay, Black-and-chestnut Eagle, Toucan Barbet, you name it. Unfortunately, the best we had was a trio of female hummingbirds with Western Emerald being the clear standout; we opted for a roadside lunch, while attempting for Beautiful Jay, but as anyone will tell you, this species is unpredictable at best, so no luck. Eventually, we began going up the road towards Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge and made a few stops in hope of seeing the nomadic but regularly reported White-faced Nunbird and coaxing into view a calling Cloud-forest Pygmy-Owl, sadly neither would be gracing us with their presence, but I did get a big target in what’s likely up there among the worst views of this species, with a Toucan Barbet that showed us nothing but it’s behind while calling about 50+ feet above us, the other highlight of the stop would probably the fast-moving flock of Red-billed Parrot that at least showed a nice contrast against the blue sky.​
Little past 3, we arrived at Bellavista and went directly to the feeders, the fruit feeders only had a Red-tailed Squirrel taking the last plantain pieces, but thankfully the hummingbird feeders gave us a chance to connect with Collared Inca and the main target of the area, Gorgeted Sunangel. After getting good views of both species, we went down the trail with the cooing call of a White-throated Quail-Dove greeting us by the compost, this compost eventually did give us views of the species on the way out, but since they had just dumped waste, there was little activity. In the length of the trails we were experiencing what can only be called as tapaculo hell for me, we had four different Ocellated Tapaculo and at least two Spillmann’s Tapaculo calling loudly and boldly, some were almost next to us but none came into view. The best birds of the walk were a Turquoise Jay that called above us for a while but never sitting for a photo, and a pair of male Black-and-green Fruiteater that seemed to like the jay’s style, because they did not sit still for more than a few seconds. As we walked out of the trail with mixed results, we heard the wailing calls of a Plate-billed Mountain-Toucan and sure enough, we found one bird perched close to a possible nesting cavity. Words cannot describe how amazing this toucan is and sadly, the distance from the bird and lighting don’t do it justice in my photos.​
Feeling good after the toucan, we got on the car and made an attempt for the Tanager Finch, a bird that’s neither a tanager nor a finch, but it’s in fact a New World sparrow, and while it certainly sounds like the sparrows I’m familiar with, its look, behavior and preferred habitat make me thing that it’s anything but one. Sadly, this bird is usually seen early morning, and this time too it was no exception, we spent nearly an hour in the location this species is usually seen at, but all we got was heard onlys of other species I would have liked to see like Cinnamon Flycatcher, Rufous-headed Pygmy-Tyrant and Slaty-backed Nightingale-Thrush, thankfully having open views of a male Crested Quetzal, is a great consolation price, even if again, the pictures I took don’t do justice to this gorgeous bird.​
From there, the sun was setting and we began the long drive down the valley and back to Mindo, along the way we enjoyed a second gorgeous sunset, which in Nelson’s words, doesn’t happen often in the area. As luck would have it, we would get one more bird for the day in the form of a Band-winged Nightjar in the middle of the road, sadly the bird didn’t stick around for photos, but considering that it was at a lower elevation than where it is normally seen, we were pretty happy and drove back to Mindo after a long, productive day, which after a nice dinner and a shower, made for the best sleeping medicine anyone could ask for.​
What a beautiful narrative! I have also experienced the beauty and magic of Refugio/Angel Paz, so this provided an easy immersion without having to travel.

I have really enjoyed Igonz1008's narrative. I was in Ecuador for 2 weeks in November on a tour with Tropical Birding of the Northwest. Sadly, political problems in Esmeraldas forced a major route change, so we lost Las Penas, Playa de Oro, and the Awa/La Union and Chical Roads. Instead, we got three days at Canande and two in the Andes. Overall, I was not disappointed. I don't have such a nice narrative, but I have second best, an eBird Trip Report with day-by-day comments, replete with photos and recordings. Our guide was the gifted José Illanes, who has been guiding for TB for 20 years and could find owls in broad daylight. Due to the extended drought, we had less than spectacular days at places like Silanche, and Canande was bone dry but still productive.

Ecuador 2022 Trip Report. If you are not familiar with eBird's Trip Reports, you can review them by selecting species, individual lists, and species with photos or recordings. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed Igonz1008's narrative. I was in Ecuador for 2 weeks in November on a tour with Tropical Birding of the Northwest. Sadly, political problems in Esmeraldas forced a major route change, so we lost Las Penas, Playa de Oro, and the Awa/La Union and Chical Roads. Instead, we got three days at Canande and two in the Andes. Overall, I was not disappointed. I don't have such a nice narrative, but I have second best, an eBird Trip Report with day-by-day comments, replete with photos and recordings. Our guide was the gifted José Illanes, who has been guiding for TB for 20 years and could find owls in broad daylight. Due to the extended drought, we had less than spectacular days at places like Silanche, and Canande was bone dry but still productive.

Ecuador 2022 Trip Report. If you are not familiar with eBird's Trip Reports, you can review them by selecting species, individual lists, and species with photos or recordings. Enjoy!
Great report, much better at summarizing the experience than I ever could, it was also fun seeing what we got on similar locations. For example, I'm 99% sure the Chestnut-naped Antpitta you saw in Zuro Loma and the Tanager Finch family you saw in that roadside stop was the same pair I saw on my last morning (the pair I had were very vocal and territorial, so the chick was probably at the nest then). Another parallel was your Yellow-green Tanager, I also saw it in the Guayabillas road close to where your checklist was! Amazing roadside birding can still be seen in that part of Pichincha for a few species more likely in Esmeraldas.

In the beginning of your report, in the Yanacocha portion, you mentioned Ocellated Antbird, which is a rare lowland specialty, so you probably got one of my many nemesis, the Ocellated Tapaculo. I think there was a misidentification for one photo/species? Your Cinnamon Woodpecker seems to be Red-rumped Woodpecker or another Dryobates sp.

Last thing, your photos are amazing, some like the Scarlet-breasted Dacnis, Toucan Barbet and Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe, which reminded me I really missed out on that side of the Andes. Sad to hear the Playa del Oro was closed off to you, but from what my guide told me, it seems like Canande gives you most of the same species without having to go complete bare bones, in his word only hardcore birders with nothing but the last few targets go there, so hopefully you didn't miss much and still enjoyed the alternative as much as the original route.

Great report, much better at summarizing the experience than I ever could, it was also fun seeing what we got on similar locations. For example, I'm 99% sure the Chestnut-naped Antpitta you saw in Zuro Loma and the Tanager Finch family you saw in that roadside stop was the same pair I saw on my last morning (the pair I had were very vocal and territorial, so the chick was probably at the nest then). Another parallel was your Yellow-green Tanager, I also saw it in the Guayabillas road close to where your checklist was! Amazing roadside birding can still be seen in that part of Pichincha for a few species more likely in Esmeraldas.

In the beginning of your report, in the Yanacocha portion, you mentioned Ocellated Antbird, which is a rare lowland specialty, so you probably got one of my many nemesis, the Ocellated Tapaculo. I think there was a misidentification for one photo/species? Your Cinnamon Woodpecker seems to be Red-rumped Woodpecker or another Dryobates sp.

Last thing, your photos are amazing, some like the Scarlet-breasted Dacnis, Toucan Barbet and Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe, which reminded me I really missed out on that side of the Andes. Sad to hear the Playa del Oro was closed off to you, but from what my guide told me, it seems like Canande gives you most of the same species without having to go complete bare bones, in his word only hardcore birders with nothing but the last few targets go there, so hopefully you didn't miss much and still enjoyed the alternative as much as the original route.
Thanks for the note. Not the first time I flipped the Ocellateds in my head! That is corrected, and certainly, the woodpecker is a Red-rumped; I appreciate the correction and your careful eye. The guides all have reliable spots for certain species, and that little stretch of road near the water tank outside the Oreothraupis reserve seemed to be the place for Tanager Finch (as the reserve name suggests). Similarly, at that spot along the Guayabillas-La Delicia Rd, Jose simply told us, "this is where you get Yellow-green Tanager." "Local" really means local.

Canande would indeed satisfy most lowland needs, with enough time, but the logistics to get there require most parties to switch to local transport for the river crossing and bad road, leaving them car-less with only the trails at Canande to explore. Ideally, you would do 6 hrs of trails in the morning and road walks in the afternoon. We were fit enough to cover all the trails in two long days, but our guide was pretty clear: most of his clients couldn't/wouldn't have managed them. We found a local driver for our road walk on the Botrosa roads our last morning, but there was so much more. So, while Sapayoa is fairly reliable at Canande, and Ground Cuckoo occasionally seen, Playa de Oro remains the go-to place for those and the pittasoma. Jose estimated we would have gotten maybe 10-15 more tough birds at Playa, and several more at Awa and Chical roads, plus the coastal route would have loaded us up with marsh and shore species (e.g. Pinnated Bittern). But for a first trip, I was really happy with the coverage and opportunities.

Sapayoa2-De.jpeg

Using Merlin a lot, you quickly realize how patchy the photo coverage is for some species, particularly of females. It is easy to take decent shots at the many feeding stations, but I do encourage people who can to carry a 400 or 500mm or long zoom in the forest and not be afraid of ridiculous ISOs and low shutter speeds (as in the Sapayoa above, of which I got only 8 frames).

Thanks for the note. Not the first time I flipped the Ocellateds in my head! That is corrected, and certainly, the woodpecker is a Red-rumped; I appreciate the correction and your careful eye. The guides all have reliable spots for certain species, and that little stretch of road near the water tank outside the Oreothraupis reserve seemed to be the place for Tanager Finch (as the reserve name suggests). Similarly, at that spot along the Guayabillas-La Delicia Rd, Jose simply told us, "this is where you get Yellow-green Tanager." "Local" really means local.

Canande would indeed satisfy most lowland needs, with enough time, but the logistics to get there require most parties to switch to local transport for the river crossing and bad road, leaving them car-less with only the trails at Canande to explore. Ideally, you would do 6 hrs of trails in the morning and road walks in the afternoon. We were fit enough to cover all the trails in two long days, but our guide was pretty clear: most of his clients couldn't/wouldn't have managed them. We found a local driver for our road walk on the Botrosa roads our last morning, but there was so much more. So, while Sapayoa is fairly reliable at Canande, and Ground Cuckoo occasionally seen, Playa de Oro remains the go-to place for those and the pittasoma. Jose estimated we would have gotten maybe 10-15 more tough birds at Playa, and several more at Awa and Chical roads, plus the coastal route would have loaded us up with marsh and shore species (e.g. Pinnated Bittern). But for a first trip, I was really happy with the coverage and opportunities.
Yeah, I noticed the locality of a lot of species when answer for "do we have a chance to see this" was always "either here or nowhere". Sounds like Playa de Oro is mandatory then because the Choco has too many good targets and somehow it sounds more accessible than Canande (even if Playa also requires to take a boat upstream).

Pinnated Bittern is thankfully a widespread species, so you will have more chances if you go back to Central or South America in the future. In Guyana we literally had them as roadside birds on our way to the Caiman House Field Station.

Attachments

• DSCN2247 1.jpg
    DSCN2247 1.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 5
South America is the birding continent, this is something being told by just about every birdwatcher under the sun and it is a goal destination for most. Earlier this year I visited the region for the first time with a 10-day birding trip to Guyana that can only be described as unforgettable due to how close and easy it was to bird the Northern reaches of the Amazon rainforest and the Guianan Shield. However, I wanted to reach the first big milestone of every birder and pass 1,000 species before the year ended, so I booked a flight to Quito and spent 4 and a half days of hardcore birding making sure I reached that goal. Spoilers for all, since I’ve never been to the Andes, I reached the big number in the morning of day 2 and left the country with 235 lifers out of the 331 birds seen, the heard only list boosted the species total to 363. Obviously, in such a short time, I couldn’t get all the targets of the region and I even missed some expected targets, but with seeing 40 species of Hummingbirds, 57 species of Tanager and allies, and point-blank views of 8 of the 11 Antpittas encountered throughout the trip, I can only say it was a success!

Before the detailed itinerary I would like to say that I did use a local guide for logistics, driving and bird ID for the trickier species. The man in question is Nelson Apolo from Ecuador Nature Tours, he’s one of the top guides in the country and one of the best catering to my birding and budgetary needs. Great hearing and seeing skills, that once again reminded me how unprepared I would have been making this trip on my own. If you are ever in the country, reach out to him, his services are worth every penny you can spend in the region.

With that said, I know a number of birders here like to do solo birding and Ecuador is easily one of the best places to do so in South America from a combined front logistics, cost and species count that few countries will rival, it's likely that you'll see more specialties on your own in Ecuador than you would in nearby Colombia and Peru, just from the fact of how used some of these birds are to people even in the dry season, which tend to be the time when the birds are less common in the feeders. But, you will still miss a few key species if you are short on time like I was, since nothing beats local experience.

Detailed Itinerary:
  • October 25-26 (Flight and first day in the high Andes)​
I arrived at Ecuador in the middle of the night and emigration was pretty easy to get through, I even got out before my transport to the hotel arrived to pick me up! Once we met up, we took a 20 minute drive to the Zaysant Ecolodge in Puembo, which I couldn’t really see much of or enjoy the amenities since we were out of there by 5AM. Thankfully, the room I got was big and cozy, the hot shower was welcomed after the flight, and if it wasn’t because of an extremely high pitched frog outside my room (could have also been my excitement) I could have taken full advantage and sleep 4 hours, but instead I only got 2 before it was time to get up.​
At 5, I got out of my room, met up with Nelson and began driving through Quito to reach our first birding stop on the West Slope, outside of a brief stop for coffee and noticing some garden type birds like Great Thrush, Rufous-collared Sparrow and the only Tropical Mockingbird of the trip, not much else was seen until our first stop on the roadside to Yanacocha. This first stop was overlooking the treeline and soon, we got great views of high elevation targets like Pearled Treerunner, White-banded Tyrannulet, Spectacled Redstart and Blue-backed Conebill. We also began my long saga of hearing but not actually seeing Ocellated Tapaculo.​
Moving on from the first stop, we decided to go downhill to a relatively new Reserva Zuro Loma that’s notable for having the only known feeders for Chestnut-naped Antpitta in this part of Ecuador. When arriving to the parking area, we had our boxed breakfast, which was really hard for me to enjoy since there were lifers everywhere (even in the restroom!), from there we were guided to the hummingbird feeders and while Nelson kept reminding me that we were in the low season for feeder activity as most of the birds would be foraging the fruiting flowers and trees in the forests. Nonetheless, the activity was still high from my newbie perspective, with 7 different hummingbirds IDed while sitting down, some of these included Sapphire-vented Puffleg, Buff-winged Starfrontlet, Mountain Velvetbreast and the iconic Sword-billed Hummingbird (this property was actually better to see and photograph this species compared to the more popular Yanacocha. The nearby feeders also brought in Glossy, Black, White-sided and Masked Flowerpiercer, along with Gray-browed and Yellow-breasted Brushfinch, and Blue-capped Tanager.​
Eventually, the big show was to begin as we heard the Chestnut-naped Antpitta come in, we sat down and waited for a few brief moments before seeing this beauty out in the open, which offered amazing views (and pictures!) of my first member of this family. Once we had our fill of this Antpitta, we moved to one of the trails where the second Antpitta of the property came in a pair, this was the adorable Equatorial Antpitta, which seems to follow the idea of a ball on stilts by literally jumping all around us while waiting for the worms.​
Outside of the feeders and the Antpittas, the property has a third attraction that requires a modest uphill hike to get to, this being a roosting White-throated Screech-Owl, sadly when we got to the site, the bird was not roosting in the area, but we did see a second Chestnut-naped Antpitta as far away as possible from the feeding station. The owl, wasn’t the only dip of the hike as we tried and got very close to seeing a calling Undulated Antpitta, but I would have to take my consolation prize in seeing my first member of the Cotinga family for the trip, Red-crested, the only views I would have of any Tapaculo thanks to a slightly more indulgent Blackish Tapaculo, and enjoying a mobbing flock that included Yellow-bellied and Rufous-breasted Chat-Tyrant, Black-crested and Russet-crowned Warbler, and a trio of Cinereous Conebills. On the drive out, we scanned the nearby cattle pens to eventually connect with a pair of Andean Lapwings and the first raptor of the trip in an American Kestrel.​
We arrived in Reserva Yanacocha little after 11 and while Nelson notified the staff to prepare us lunch, I enjoyed the feeder activity that included the only views of Great Sapphirewing and Shining Sunbeam for the trip. From there, we did a short walk around the Paramo area where we had a pair of singing Grass Wren, brief views of Tawny Antpitta, and the only mammal sighting of the day with an Andean Rabbit. On the fruit feeders, we also enjoyed a pair of Black-chested Mountain Tanager and after a delicious hot lunch, we went down the trail as the fog creeped up the mountain.​
The foggy trail was a fun test for someone with mild vertigo, but overall, it was more disappointing, and worrying, that we couldn’t enjoy or see most of our targets. A total of 7 Ocellated Tapaculos were heard but none to be seen, we also briefly connected with a Tyrannulet trio in the forms of White-banded, White-throated and Black-Capped Tyrannulet, plus a small family of Crowned Chat-Tyrant. The only members of the Cracidae family were seen as a pair of Andean Guan flew down the mountain in front of us, and luck would dictate that I had my bins up just as a pair of Barred Fruiteaters briefly flew across my view in the fog.​
Eventually we arrived at our destination about 2km into the trail. This was another hummingbird feeder station, but this one was necessary to connect with Golden-breasted Puffleg, which rarely show up in the feeders by the entrance of the reserve. Together with this lonesome Puffleg, we also enjoyed the antics of an Equatorial Antpitta that was moving around our feet while foraging, a skulkier Rufous Wren in the understory and a size chart difference between Buff-breasted, Scarlet-bellied and Hooded Mountain Tanager. Eventually, the sandflies forced us to leave these feeders and we walked back towards our car with a much clearer view of the valley as the fog had dissipated.​
From there, it was a long drive towards Mindo, with roadside stops giving us views of Short-tailed and Roadside Hawk, Black Phoebe, White-tipped Dove and a small mixed flock that included my first boreal migrant in the form of Blackburnian Warbler, alongside some local species like Fawn-breasted Tanager, Rusty-winged Barbtail, Golden-rumped Euphonia and Glossy-black Thrush. We could hear an Andean Cock-of-the-rock lek while driving through the Tandayapa Valley, that gave us a prelude for what would come tomorrow, but today, we arrived in Mindo after enjoying a beautiful sunset, had dinner in the restaurant of choice when in town and by 9PM, I was already in bed and ready for an early start tomorrow.​
Rereading this and contacted Nelson Apolo. Thanks, again.

Hi everyone; I live in western Ecuador and thoroughly enjoyed reading this 'West Slope' summary/narrative!

The story vibrates with life and transfers that joy of observing the species to all of us - and makes us want to enjoy the same experience! Many of these species I know well, and many I have only read about - or have seen in field guides, etc. It was good to read about the Angel Paz Refugio, such a beautiful family - and of course your time at Milpe - was your lunch that day at the Rio Blanco/Mirador Restaurant at Los Bancos? Patricio's menu is great, and the view and feeders all make it a great place to stop - though a birder doesn't stop, something you mentioned that made me chuckle: "...we had our boxed breakfast, which was really hard for me to enjoy since there were lifers everywhere (even in the restroom!)."

I keep saying that I am going to design a t=shirt that states, 'Food can wait - the birds won't.'

Thank you for the time it took to share your experience - it's as if we were with you.
Thank you also for spotlighting Ecuador! Lisa

Hi everyone; I live in western Ecuador and thoroughly enjoyed reading this 'West Slope' summary/narrative!

The story vibrates with life and transfers that joy of observing the species to all of us - and makes us want to enjoy the same experience! Many of these species I know well, and many I have only read about - or have seen in field guides, etc. It was good to read about the Angel Paz Refugio, such a beautiful family - and of course your time at Milpe - was your lunch that day at the Rio Blanco/Mirador Restaurant at Los Bancos? Patricio's menu is great, and the view and feeders all make it a great place to stop - though a birder doesn't stop, something you mentioned that made me chuckle: "...we had our boxed breakfast, which was really hard for me to enjoy since there were lifers everywhere (even in the restroom!)."

I keep saying that I am going to design a t=shirt that states, 'Food can wait - the birds won't.'

Thank you for the time it took to share your experience - it's as if we were with you.
Thank you also for spotlighting Ecuador! Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Glad to see the report is still useful to give people a smile of what I saw. I'm bad when writing my reports since I'm always treating them with the same excitement I had in the field. So the report excitement reflects how I felt while traveling (my upcoming trip report will be a testament to that).

As for the restaurant, it was one in the Pedro Vicente Maldonado area, no lifers were seen, just good food, with the only bird added there was a brief view of the (Pacific) Pale-legged Hornero walking in the parking area. As much as I love eating while enjoying the birds, I know this is a surefire way that I don't eat properly since I'm always getting distracted by them, even if I've seen the species hundreds of times just by seeing their behaviors/antics, so it was probably best I left that interesting restaurant for a future visit.

Hi Lisa,

Glad to see the report is still useful to give people a smile of what I saw. I'm bad when writing my reports since I'm always treating them with the same excitement I had in the field. So the report excitement reflects how I felt while traveling (my upcoming trip report will be a testament to that).

As for the restaurant, it was one in the Pedro Vicente Maldonado area, no lifers were seen, just good food, with the only bird added there was a brief view of the (Pacific) Pale-legged Hornero walking in the parking area. As much as I love eating while enjoying the birds, I know this is a surefire way that I don't eat properly since I'm always getting distracted by them, even if I've seen the species hundreds of times just by seeing their behaviors/antics, so it was probably best I left that interesting restaurant for a future visit.
Your writing style is infused with that enthusiasm, which is why these narrative trip reports are such a treasure here on the forum. They deserve a larger audience! Yes, a timeout for dining is a consideration when one only has a few days - or hours - in an area. The food can wait - the birds won't!

How long did it take Nelson to train that Hornero to walk across the parking lot for that private show?!!!:)

On the coast the Pacific/Pale-legged Hornero is a regular and such a joy to see and/or to hear. In the nearby hills is its cousin the Henna-hooded Foliage Gleaner can be heard during the rainy season very close to where I live. On Global Big Day one 'buzzed' me from one side of the dirt road - and darted into thick cover on the other side. It seemed to chatter, 'The silly human didn't see me!' Then two more joined the conversation in mock laughter! At 7 in the morning I would have been happy to stop for the day - but no, more birds waited, like the adorable Collared Antshrikes and Necklaced Spinetails. I predict that in the future you'll be sharing a Tumbes Endemics report with us!

Your writing style is infused with that enthusiasm, which is why these narrative trip reports are such a treasure here on the forum. They deserve a larger audience! Yes, a timeout for dining is a consideration when one only has a few days - or hours - in an area. The food can wait - the birds won't!

How long did it take Nelson to train that Hornero to walk across the parking lot for that private show?!!!:)

On the coast the Pacific/Pale-legged Hornero is a regular and such a joy to see and/or to hear. In the nearby hills is its cousin the Henna-hooded Foliage Gleaner can be heard during the rainy season very close to where I live. On Global Big Day one 'buzzed' me from one side of the dirt road - and darted into thick cover on the other side. It seemed to chatter, 'The silly human didn't see me!' Then two more joined the conversation in mock laughter! At 7 in the morning I would have been happy to stop for the day - but no, more birds waited, like the adorable Collared Antshrikes and Necklaced Spinetails. I predict that in the future you'll be sharing a Tumbes Endemics report with us!
Not sure if he trained it since I was the one who noticed him first :D

That does sound pretty appealing, those are some amazing endemics, I'm planning to bring people to Ecuador next year, but it's back to the slopes for now, the next trip will be going to the Southern part to target these birds for sure.

My Global Big Day was mostly me trying to get used to the birds in a brand new continent for me, needless to say, the highlight of seeing a fledged Crowned Eagle and a male Narina Trogon, easily made it my favorite Global Big Day so far. But I mostly spent the morning learning the calls of the Red-chested Cuckoo and the Abyssinian Thrush!

Nelson is not available but says his friend is. If Nelson says his friend is good, I'm guessing I can bank on that? Your opinion?
Not sure who his friend might be, I would say to contact the friend and see what he offers/search him up online. If he has a solid rep/gives you a proper itinerary/focus on what you wish to see. He might be good backup if he's endorsed by Nelson.

For our upcoming August visit to Ecuador, we chose Julia Patino for five planned birding excursions. All are in the Mindo (Pichincha province) area. You can check her availability by emailing her at this address:
[email protected].
I believe other Forum members will concur that she is a competent bird guide. Her communication is good, whether through WhatsApp or email.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back