• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor correction traviesi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

As both birth and death are in question marks in HBW Alive here are the dates.

After Bulletin de la Société d'histoire naturelle et d'ethnographie de Colmar 1998 p. 106 here:

Edouard Traviès, né à Doullens (Somme) le 24 mars 1809, mort à Paris le 24 novembre 1876 (24th March 1809 - 24th November 1876)

But he might have died 19th November 1876 page 2 in 5e arr.

Last edited:
Regarding today's HBW Alive Key and the entry: "Édouard Traviès (?1809-?1868)" ...

Note that Bulletin de la Société d'histoire naturelle et d'ethnographie de Colmar (again, here) says: Édouard Traviès (1809–1876), as do English Wiki (here) a k a Édouard Traviès de Villers (here)

Also see the following links; here, here, here and onwards ... he´s easy to find (both with, or without, accent on the first E (É).

Or here. Of course we can find many plates from him.

a k a Édouard Traviès de Villers(here)

In fact he might have de Villers as well as part of his name. See here. Or maybe it was just because another artist Charles Joseph Travies de Villers (1804-1859) existed?

Anyway the key is alive;).

Last edited:
His name was Édouard Traviès de Villers, however as an Artist he was known simply as Édouard Traviès (his pseudonym).

Björn

PS. The Charles Joseph Traviès de Villers mentioned was his older Brother. I assume Édouard dropped "de Villers" (in his Professional name) simply not to be confused with him.

---

Last edited:
From his death entry here p. 26 of 31 (entry 2961) I would reject the de Villers even if his brother had this title.

He died 18. November 1876 5 Arrondissement (and not as claimed by Mulsant 10. November). He was 68 years old at his death. That is all I know for sure. (but somehow the same as in my inital post but there we can see that they found his birth entry).

Last edited:
After I have read Édouard Traviès : un grand peintre animalier du XIXe siècle (1809-1876) it is clear from his birth registration that his mothers name was Élise Desvillers born in Whiteheaven, Cumberland. His father was Thomas Drinkwater Traviès born in Manchester.

I doubt that even his brother used the des Villers.

Anyway his birth register here p. 211 of 573 (if not working Cote: 5MI_D657 in Archive en ligne (Registres paroissiaux et de l'état civil du département de la Somme))

Last edited:
Martin, I have no idea if his brother Charles Joseph ever used the de Villers part (himself, personally), but a lot of other sure did, and still does. Like here, here, here, here ... and elsewhere. He is fairly well known (in my Trade, among illustrators).

Though I agree on Édouard's Birth name being (simply) Édouard Traviès, as registered.

Could it be, and now I´m only guessing [as I haven't (and cannot) read the French Paper you're referring to] that the older brother Charles Joseph (born in Switzerland, 2nd February 1804) and Édouard (born in Doullens, France, 24th of March 1809) both were raised by their Mother (alone, and in Paris?), and as such they used their Mother's name Desvillers (that turned out de Villers), as they grew up, and this is how they became known (even if they still, officially only were Traviès) ...?

Did you find out anything (like the years) of their Father "Thomas Drinkwater Traviès"? Is he this guy?

Either way, I don't follow your reasoning in post #6 ... ?

He died 18. November 1876 5 Arrondissement (and not as claimed by Mulsant 10. November). He was 68 years old at his death. That is all I know for sure. (but somehow the same as in my inital post but there we can see that they found his birth entry).
But ... your "initial post" told us:
... mort à Paris le 24 novembre 1876 ([...] 24th November 1876)

But he might have died 19th November 1876 page 2 in 5e arr."
So: Did Édouard die the 18th, 19th or 24th of November 1876?

However (if I know my Math); if he was born 24th March in 1809, and died in November 1876 he ("for sure") must have been 67 years old when he passed (or possibly, if you prefer the phrase: in his 68th year). He wouldn't have been 68 prior to the celebration of his birthday, on the 24th of March 1877. Which he never did ...

Or?

Björn (... a bit puzzled/confused)
--

Last edited:
His death was register on 19th. but he died the day before (hier) 18.th November 1876. So I read it wrong in my first post. But we had several cases where Laurent corrected me due to the hier.

No idea about the father but he is mentioned in his birth record. And yes it is the same (after I looked into your link).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back