• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mint Zeiss 7x42 B/GA T*P* Dialyt Brings $1,600.00 On Ebay! (1 Viewer)

joejeweler

United States
Well,....i had been watching this auction for a week, and went out with 4 hours left and still no bidders. I "thought" the pricing was some "fishing" activity, and planned to contact the seller after the auction and offer what i figured was a fair price. Didn't happen!

The auction had a starting bid of $1,600.00 , which just seemed way too high to me, considering just a few years ago i recall seeing them for around $900.00 in similar mint condition.

I would have been interested myself at about $1,000.oo to maybe $1,100.00or so, but $1,600.00 gets very close to a lot of new alpha binos imo.

Is this the reality of what these are typically worth today,.....or was this an anomoly?

Anyway,....i guess i'll keep an eye out for a little more "used" example. :t:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-DIALY...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It probably did not sell. That is the one bid thing. Just the seller fishing to get
someone to go one more.
Look for a seller relist, or he may get real.

Jerry

Still usable

Hello,

Here is another Dialyt 7x42 on that electronic auction site. It is not marked for phase coating, so the "buy it now," price, as well as the asking price seems inflated.

However, I have a late model 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC, which is still a pleasure to use. Optically, the design compromise is one of the best: wide FOV, good sharpness at the edges, great contrast and resolution. I suspect that the objective has a long focal length, minimising CA, while Abbe-König prism add a little stereopsis. It handles beautifully. The drawbacks are a long minimal focussing distance, size and that is not really waterproof, while modern FL glass seems to improve colour quality.

I had mine out yesterday, along with a 10x32 FL, a terrific combination. I think that they have been out of production for nine years, but I still see others using them.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

It probably did not sell. That is the one bid thing. Just the seller fishing to get
someone to go one more.
Look for a seller relist, or he may get real.

Jerry

I don't know on this one,......the "bid" came in with just 9 seconds to go. It would seem to me a seller would NOT risk shill overbidding on these (friend or family member?) to get an extra bid or two out of a real buyer, considering the price seemed really high with ANY 1st bid! He also has to pay the selling fees.

However,...."if" we see a relisting (for "buyer backed out"), then i'll question it further.

Certainly if i was dead set on buying something like this, and didn't want a bidding war,....my 1st bid would have been my only bid,....the starting price and nothing more!

BTW,....i take it my feeling these were very high priced seems right? :eek!:

Hello,

Here is another Dialyt 7x42 on that electronic auction site. It is not marked for phase coating, so the "buy it now," price, as well as the asking price seems inflated.

However, I have a late model 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC, which is still a pleasure to use. Optically, the design compromise is one of the best: wide FOV, good sharpness at the edges, great contrast and resolution. I suspect that the objective has a long focal length, minimising CA, while Abbe-König prism add a little stereopsis. It handles beautifully. The drawbacks are a long minimal focussing distance, size and that is not really waterproof, while modern FL glass seems to improve colour quality.

I had mine out yesterday, along with a 10x32 FL, a terrific combination. I think that they have been out of production for nine years, but I still see others using them.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Yes,...i have that listing in my watch items also. The lack of the "P" or "P*" means i'll pass at either the $800.00 start price or $1,200.00 buy-it-now. Without the phase coating i'd consider them at a more realistic $500.00 perhaps.

Last edited:
I suppose it’s worth whatever it fetches, i.e. $1600 in this case!

To be fair, I can see some justification for that very high price. The Zeiss 7x42 B/GA Dialyt (or Classic) is unusual in combining old-world elegance with still-potent performance. You can’t say that about many roof-prism binoculars, or indeed many binoculars of any type.

Its abiding beauty derives from its functional design, like that of other German industrial-design icons from the 1980s. Zeiss went off the rails a decade later, designing those hideous plastic models that now rightly go for peanuts on eBay. But near-perfect products of 1980s Germany, of which group the 7x42 B/GA Dialyt is a first-class member, are today remembered so fondly that many German factories still trade on their nostalgia.

But the appeal of the 7x42 B/GA Dialyt goes far beyond aesthetics. The balance of key specifications and optical aberrations is valid even today, and later models benefitted from phase-correction coatings. The binocular isn’t waterproof, but that only makes it easier to service. And speaking of service: the Abbe-Koenig prisms are not only very bright but also immune to loss of brightness by tarnishing over time.

In fact, the timelessness of this binocular accounts for much of its appeal. The quality of materials and build remains unsurpassed, the industrial design will forever appeal to discerning eyes, and there is very little to go wrong that couldn’t be fixed by a competent repairperson 50 years down the line. It’s a functional heirloom that can realistically be expected to perform useful work for a couple of lifetimes.

For all of the above and other intangible reasons, I suspect this binocular will fetch even more than $1600 at some point in the future, whereas most other binoculars will diminish in value.

I have a pair that I still use, T*P that cost me £150 about 5 years ago - they are supposed to be the "kitchen bins" but still take occasional priority over the 8x32FLs. Worth every hand earned penny to me.

I have a pair that I still use, T*P that cost me £150 about 5 years ago - they are supposed to be the "kitchen bins" but still take occasional priority over the 8x32FLs. Worth every hand earned penny to me.

Easy to say at 150 pound "all in"! ;)

.....and you made my point. Five years ago these could be picked up pretty reasonable, although your cost even then seems exceptionally low.

Congrats! :t:

BTW,....from what i understand Zeiss has "said" there is no difference between their T*P and T*P* versions, although the T*P version seems to bring less "collector premium. That's probably the one i'll end up with someday,.....

Last edited:
Interesting saga about the 7x42 Dialyt. Introduced in 1981, P coated in 1988, and discontinued in 2004, its 23 year run introduced to the binocular world one of the most versatile binoculars ever made. And in a power (7) that I find most useful, birding or otherwise.

Several passed through my hands during this period, but alas I was always looking forward to the next great Zeiss offering and talked out of them by other birders. Then several years ago, finding myself without a pair, and finally coming to my senses that this was really a very special model, I ran across a pair for sale for $500. End of that story.

The 7x42's stable mate was and is the 8x56, a model to me on the edge of usefulness. Zeiss claims the central Europeans love the 8x56 for near dark hunting, which we don't do in the US, I have compared both models side by side many times and have pondered why one is now history, essentially extinct, while the other continues on.

Comparative data suggests that for the loss of one (1) power, the 7x42 is much shorter (by almost two inches 7.5 - to 9.4), is much lighter (28.2 oz to 36.3 oz), more narrow at PD PD 65 (4.9 - 5.6), a far greater FOV (450 feet - 330 feet), a shorter focusing distance (11.7 feet - 25 feet), and a smaller exit pupil (6 mm - 7 mm). These data suggest what we have is versatility versus specialty.

I nearly bought an 8x56 back in the 1980s. While traveling a mountain road in my 4-wheel pickup, I ran across a sheep hunter flopped along the road. Turning off to clear the road and talk to him, he screamed at me to stop. Upon doing so, I discovered my front wheel had narrowly missed running over his binocular, which he had left on the ground many feet away from his position.

After we both got ourselves composed, we sat there talking about binoculars. I was using the Zeiss 8x30 Safari model. Nauturally we compared binoculars, and he readily admitted his 8x56 was the wrong one to lug around in the mountains. Evidently, a salesman in a sporting goods store had talked him into buying it.

A closing comment about the 7x42. Its rubber eye cups folded down are a perfect fit for my eyeglasses, Such a wide field. Who needs more?

John

Thanks Ed - doing the research on the 7x42 (from old Zeiss brochures), is always interesting to me. The comparison with the 8x56 was inevitable, but that particular model needs it own thread. John

A heads up for owners of the Zeiss B/GA Zeiss 7x42. The objective covers which come with the new Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 are a perfect fit for the old 7x42 The availability of the covers of course is unknown, given the orders on hold for the Terra. Don't think it was planned, but that is how things go. John

I suppose it’s worth whatever it fetches, i.e. $1600 in this case!

To be fair, I can see some justification for that very high price. The Zeiss 7x42 B/GA Dialyt (or Classic) is unusual in combining old-world elegance with still-potent performance. You can’t say that about many roof-prism binoculars, or indeed many binoculars of any type.

Its abiding beauty derives from its functional design, like that of other German industrial-design icons from the 1980s. Zeiss went off the rails a decade later, designing those hideous plastic models that now rightly go for peanuts on eBay. But near-perfect products of 1980s Germany, of which group the 7x42 B/GA Dialyt is a first-class member, are today remembered so fondly that many German factories still trade on their nostalgia.

But the appeal of the 7x42 B/GA Dialyt goes far beyond aesthetics. The balance of key specifications and optical aberrations is valid even today, and later models benefitted from phase-correction coatings. The binocular isn’t waterproof, but that only makes it easier to service. And speaking of service: the Abbe-Koenig prisms are not only very bright but also immune to loss of brightness by tarnishing over time.

In fact, the timelessness of this binocular accounts for much of its appeal. The quality of materials and build remains unsurpassed, the industrial design will forever appeal to discerning eyes, and there is very little to go wrong that couldn’t be fixed by a competent repairperson 50 years down the line. It’s a functional heirloom that can realistically be expected to perform useful work for a couple of lifetimes.

For all of the above and other intangible reasons, I suspect this binocular will fetch even more than $1600 at some point in the future, whereas most other binoculars will diminish in value.

Well,....i bit the bullet today and FINALLY located a really nice Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* version. (perfect glass, unused strap & rainguard, and in the box but no paperwork included)

It was posted on Astromart on Friday afternoon, and i noticed it within a few hours. Unfortunately, I wasn't a member so signed up and paid my $15.00, only to discover they had to approve me. That took about 12 hours longer before i got the contact info of the seller!

I thought after a full day, that these would be gone at the $990.00 fixed price. (Sure beats the $1,600.00 priced on that started this thread!)

I sent off an email as soon as i could saturday morning, and got a response about 5 hours later. I had committed to buying them in the email, and it turns out i WAS the 1st commiting responder. (not sure if other had inquired but not committed?)

It was only THEN that i noticed the same ad on CloudNights, and didn't have to spend the extra $15 to sign up on Astromart! Figures,....but i'm apt to list a few over the next year so won't be too bad.

I drove the 168 miles EACH WAY today to pick up and pay for them, as i didn't want someone possibly offering the seller more than the $990.00 price and cutting me out.

This seller seemed pretty good to me after we talkied on the phone, and i spent about 45 minutes today with him so I doubt that would ever have happened. BUT IT DID HAPPEN ONCE BEFORE TO ME so i'm a bit gunshy! :C

Anyway, i'm really impressed at how bright they are, especially at dusk. My less than a week ago purchase of an also mint Zeiss 8x30 BGAT*P gave me something to compare it with, and I suspect these will see a lot of use in tough lighting conditions and at night.

Regarding the buyer of that $1,600.00 ebay piece, i still think he overpaid by not waiting a bit. For just $100.00 more (not counting the $35 gas and tolls, and maybe the $15 signup on Astromart which i'll get future benefit from),......I ended up with TWO Zeiss Nice-a-Tees!

A few observations, once i had the chance to compare my 8x30 B/GAT*P to this 7x42 B/GAT*P* , is that the 8x30 has a supreme "build quality" to it. I've read that some consider the 8x30BGAT*P* ClassiC the finest Zeiss made when considering "build quality". I won't argue that point, as it looks and feels solid and finely detailed!

The 8x30 ClassiC just feels more solid in hand, with none of the exposed and more fragile moving focusing eyepieces of the 7x42 ClassiC.

However, that design element by itself doesn't bother me as much as the choice to use composites (aka "plastic"?) for the eyepiece control arms, ....and i believe the focus wheel and eyepiece bases?

I'm of the opinion that the traditional "Zeiss-ness" image is not helped in this regard, and I for one would have not minded carrying a bit more weight to have those componants be made of aluminum or brass.

That is a small point, however, because the VIEW makes all that sillyness disappear. ;) BUT,..... "if" Zeiss ever decides to offer an upgrade to the focusing parts in metal,.......put me on that list! :king:

One other small point. I couldn't help but admire the really clean armor covering on my 8x30B/GAT*P ClassiC, with NO molding seams showing. The finish on the rubber armor as clean as any Leica armored bino i've seen!

That is not the case with the 7x42 B/GAT*P* ClassiC, and the molding seams have not been removed. It detracts from what i came to love about Zeiss of old,....attention to detail.

These are nitpicking to some perhaps, but no one can argue that this is just another change from the Zeiss of old.

I included a few pics below to show the molding seams and plastic focusing parts on the 7x42B ClassiC, in case some have not seen it.

A heads up for owners of the Zeiss B/GA Zeiss 7x42. The objective covers which come with the new Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 are a perfect fit for the old 7x42 The availability of the covers of course is unknown, given the orders on hold for the Terra. Don't think it was planned, but that is how things go. John

Thanks for the heads up, now that i picked up my 7x42 BGAT*P* version!

I was going to look into some objective covers. I take it these might not be available right now,....based on your comment?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The 1st TWO pics show the unsightly molding seam on the rubber armor on the 7x42 B/GAT*P* ClassiC

The 3rd pic shows the smooth finish (all the way around looks like this) on my 8x30B/GAT*P ClassiC

The 4th pic shows what i believe are all "composite" focusing componants on the 7x42 B/GAT*P* ClassiC (ocular cross bridge, focusing wheel, and i think the ocular bases?)

The 5th pic shows them side by side, and i think the finer finish of the 8x30 B/GAT*P is apparent.

Attachments

• Zeiss 7x42B GATP 010.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 010.jpgsmall.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 021.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 021.jpgsmall.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 566
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 036.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 036.jpgsmall.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 014.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 014.jpgsmall.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 001.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 001.jpgsmall.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Nice Carry Bag For Zeiss 7x42B/GAT*P* From Army & Navy Store

By the way,....The thin leather pouch that comes with the Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT*P* requires the strap to be fed through and is awkward to use that way. (and in my view is not much protection)

I got spoiled with the Zeiss hard leather cases from decades ago on my oldies but goodies, but have found a reasonably priced "case" that fits this longish bino pretty well, (and others also) and is comfortable to carry. (has a strong decent width cotten weave adjustable length strap)

At my local Army & Navy Store i located this for just $12.00. (the price probably varies based on the store?) It's a surplus Swiss Army map shoulder bag as I recall, and is made of super heavy duck cotton with a tight weave. I've seen them on ebay recenty priced at $25, but check locally for a better deal.

The one thing I felt i had to do was cut a section of leather from a whole steer side I already had, because there are some fairly heavy rivits that show up on the inside of the bag that attach the leather strap closure system. You could also first place your binocular inside the original leather pouch with the strap hanging out (not threaded through the pouch straps), and then place that in this bag. That will protect your bino from the strap closure rivits.

If you're handy you could sew in a cover patch from a piece of leather, amd i may get around to that at some point. But for now the extra leather padding works fine.

The leather just lines the inside of the bag, and does offer some additional padding to protect the binocular. Once closed, it's VERY secure, and the sides close nicely to seal the edges from dust and probably decent rain protection. I really like how the leather "catch" first threads through the leather guide, and then over the mushroom shaped post. The system is very secure and easy to use.

One nice thing is you're NOT advertising you're carrying Zeiss binoculars! The bag looks more like a man's currier bag, and goes virtually un-noticed as to what it actually contains.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Zeiss 7x42B GATP 038.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 038.jpgsmall.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 040.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 040.jpgsmall.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 044.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 044.jpgsmall.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Zeiss 7x42B GATP 048.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42B GATP 048.jpgsmall.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
"A few observations, once i had the chance to compare my 8x30 B/GAT*P to this 7x42 B/GAT*P* , is that the 8x30 has a supreme "build quality" to it. I've read that some consider the 8x30BGAT*P* ClassiC the finest Zeiss made when considering "build quality". I won't argue that point, as it looks and feels solid and finely detailed!
That is not the case with the 7x42 B/GAT*P* ClassiC, and the molding seams have not been removed. It detracts from what i came to love about Zeiss of old,....attention to detail.

These are nitpicking to some perhaps, but no one can argue that this is just another change from the Zeiss of old".

HI Joe

Wonderful duo you now have. They look just gorgeous, enjoy.

I used to work in the rubber industry and I would say that the seams on the 7x42 are visible due to wear of the moulds over the years. I don't think the seams were ever 'removed' on the Dialyts, but when the moulds were fresh and being of good quality for some years after, the part-line, or seam, was barely visible.

It would be very difficult to devise a method of removing the visible seam material without risking making the seam even more visible or marking the surfaces to either side.

In short, I would say the seam is there, not because of slipping standards, but because of fair wear and tear on the moulds. Good quality moulds are expensive to make and the modest demand for these old Dialyts would not have justified new ones, especially with the model due to be withdrawn anyway.

The 8x30s were in production for much longer than the 7x42s so probably had their moulds renewed at some point, or they may have had more moulds made in the beginning than was needed to service the demand and brought those fresh ones into use later.

What you need now is an FL 7x42 as a modern partner or FL 8x56 if you are feeling strong :)

Lee

"A few observations, once i had the chance to compare my 8x30 B/GAT*P to this 7x42 B/GAT*P* , is that the 8x30 has a supreme "build quality" to it. I've read that some consider the 8x30BGAT*P* ClassiC the finest Zeiss made when considering "build quality". I won't argue that point, as it looks and feels solid and finely detailed!

These are nitpicking to some perhaps, but no one can argue that this is just another change from the Zeiss of old".

HI Joe

Wonderful duo you now have. They look just gorgeous, enjoy.

I used to work in the rubber industry and I would say that the seams on the 7x42 are visible due to wear of the moulds over the years. I don't think the seams were ever 'removed' on the Dialyts, but when the moulds were fresh and being of good quality for some years after, the part-line, or seam, was barely visible.

It would be very difficult to devise a method of removing the visible seam material without risking making the seam even more visible or marking the surfaces to either side.

In short, I would say the seam is there, not because of slipping standards, but because of fair wear and tear on the moulds. Good quality moulds are expensive to make and the modest demand for these old Dialyts would not have justified new ones, especially with the model due to be withdrawn anyway.

The 8x30s were in production for much longer than the 7x42s so probably had their moulds renewed at some point, or they may have had more moulds made in the beginning than was needed to service the demand and brought those fresh ones into use later.

What you need now is an FL 7x42 as a modern partner or FL 8x56 if you are feeling strong :)

Lee

Hi Lee,.....Thanks, but I think i'm done buying for awhile! ( "awhile" does leave open the possibility, however. ;) It would also be difficult for me to get over their "housing reinforced by glass-fiber composites" construction. I'm too old school, perhaps?

I appreciate the mold seam explaination. Coming from a jewelry repair backround over 35 years, with custom work sometimes involving seam removal on gold ring castings, I just thought it a bit odd that a rubber seam couldn't easily be removed.

I've removed the strap guides off of a rubber generic rainguard, and also a larger Nikon version to be used as an objective cover with little trouble. On those i wasn't concerned to try to match the finish exactly, but bet it would polish up a bit if i had the mind to bother.

I suspect a very narrow razor, 2-3mm wide maybe with a depth guide of some sort, could have been fabricated and used much like a common men's shaving razor to cleenly slice off the vast majority of the unsightly seams. A clean cut in rubber, i suspect, would fairly well match the shiny new rubber cosmetics.

Maybe i'll fool around with a bic disposible razor (blade part), and try to get a small frame constructed to get such a tool made and employed. :t:

But even more than the rubber mold seam,....the use of composites on the focusing parts of the 7x42 B/GAT*P* (and earlier versions i assume?) was a step down in build quality Zeiss was well known for. When I pick up my 50 year old 8x30B Dialyt, there is NO question the entire unit was constructed with nothing but long life in mind! Use of any "composite" would not have been considered.

This is probably what that fine Italian commented on that i read awhile back (forget where i read it here?), that Zeiss moved from an "engineering mindset" to a "business mindset" ,....or something like that. An image that Zeiss built over 100 years or so, that the "best" product that could be produced using only the finest materials available,.....is not the corporate thinking any longer.

The realities of the modern world, i suppose.....and probably one reason i gravitate to older Zeiss production.

Even knowing i give up some of the more modern lens coating benefits, there is still something quite satisfying when viewing through such a well executed, mechanically constructed binocular such as the early Zeiss 8x30B Dialyt.

Funny point,....when i went yesterday to buy the 7x42B/GAT*P* from the gentleman (Steve) in Wellesley, Mass. (i'm from Schenectady, NY), I brought along several of my older binos.

The seller very much liked the view and overall "feel" of my ancient Zeiss 8x30B Dialyt,.....so much so that he double checked with me to make sure he had the model right for when he might look for one in nice shape. "Quality" is usually apparent,...and will sell itself, no matter how old. ;)

BTW,....i LOVE the view and feel of my new 7x42B/GAT*P* , and it's likely be become one of my most used gear.along with the 8x30B?GAT*P That's the most important thing about any optic, for sure.

But I can't help but feel it could have been made just a little bit better with the Zeiss engineers (or corporate decision makers) of old.

Last edited:
Joe - the unseemly seams (not trying to make a pun) of your Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT have appeared on every rubber covered Zeiss,I have owned (with the heavy ribs running lengthwise). Even the incomparable B/GAT 15x60 has them. Lee has come up with an explanation, worn moulds. Perhaps, perhaps not.

I'm more interested in your observation that the control arm, eye piece base, and focus wheel were of some of some composite material. Do you know what kind? Just curious. John

Joe - the unseemly seams (not trying to make a pun) of your Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT have appeared on every rubber covered Zeiss,I have owned (with the heavy ribs running lengthwise). Even the incomparable B/GAT 15x60 has them. Lee has come up with an explanation, worn moulds. Perhaps, perhaps not.

I'm more interested in your observation that the control arm, eye piece base, and focus wheel were of some of some composite material. Do you know what kind? Just curious. John

John:

I am with you, I would not be a bit concerned about the material used as has been mentioned above. I am thinking either metal or nylon will not make
one bit of difference.

I think Joe worries too much over "not much". Largely a personal problem.

As far as the armor, a well used Zeiss will have some patina, and beyond that, it is not a concern.

Jerry

I assume the parts are the same "reinforced glass-fiber composites" that Zeiss says make up the construction of the Victory 7x42 FL. At least that's what i'm thinking?

BTW,...nobody has mentioned my observance that my Zeiss 8x30B/GAT*P ClassiC has absolutely NO hint of any seam showing! Explain that one to me. I suspect Zeiss once took pains to remove said seam?

John:

I am with you, I would not be a bit concerned about the material used as has been mentioned above. I am thinking either metal or nylon will not make
one bit of difference.

I think Joe worries too much over "not much". Largely a personal problem.

As far as the armor, a well used Zeiss will have some patina, and beyond that, it is not a concern.

Jerry

I won't argue that point.....just getting older and missing what used to be i guess. ;)

Last edited:
BTW, going along with my post #13 above, i decided to see if using the original leather pouch issued with the 7x42 B/GAT*P* would work easily with the Swiss Army heavy duck cotten map shoulder bag i got at my local Army & Navy store. As i mentioned,...this is sometimes seen on ebay also. Picture 3 shows a sewn in pencil holder in the upper left side used to mark out a map route. but you can also list what birds you've seen today! .....lol

I'm posting this additional bag info because some of you may not have access to a separate leather liner, to keep the 3 metal catch rivits that enter the inside of the bag from possibly coming into contact with the binocular. (probably not a problem with these armored versions, but if using a non-armored binocular with this bag i'd want that extra layer)

I found I actually liked the extra dust resistance of placing the bino in the original case 1st, and better protection for the lenses. It's just not as fast to get out, but once out the original bag has a safe place to reside until you pack it all up.

Using a simple leather strap with my comfort wider neck cover fits quiet easily inside the zippered pouch, but havened tried to fit it with the original neoprene strap which is less flexible.

This pouch is as close to perfect fit as you could hope for! I also noticed there is a date on the inside of my case,....1970! (and still in perfect condition)

Some pics below of how i ended up packing it all up.

Attachments

• Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 001.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 001.jpgsmall.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 020.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 020.jpgsmall.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 004.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 004.jpgsmall.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 012.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 012.jpgsmall.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 015.jpgsmall.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGATP Case 015.jpgsmall.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
[/b]

I assume the parts are the same "reinforced glass-fiber composites" that Zeiss says make up the construction of the Victory 7x42 FL. At least that's what i'm thinking?

BTW,...nobody has mentioned my observance that my Zeiss 8x30B/GAT*P ClassiC has absolutely NO hint of any seam showing! Explain that one to me. I suspect Zeiss once took pains to remove said seam?

I won't argue that point.....just getting older and missing what used to be i guess. ;)

I would think your 8x30 was made near the same time [or after] your 7x42, so no help there..........BTW, this thread puts a new face on ''pedantic.''

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back