• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mirador 22-47 x 75mm spotting scope, balance? (1 Viewer)

bugbear

I just bought a cheap, old-ish cope from eBay, per thread title. (Slightly discoloured rubber sleeve at the objective end)

flickr.jpg

Mounting on my heaviest photographic tripod (Manfrotto #144, #168 ballhead), the views into my garden are bright and sharp - I am well pleased.

However, the tripod mount point (I inserted a 1/4" bolt to make it super visible in the photo) is a very long way from the C of G of the scope, so when aiming the scope, I'm fighting the overhanging weight.

Is this just a "thing" I have to live with, or is there something I can do about it?

Second question, out of curiosity; the serial number is 90248; can anyone put a date on it?

BugBear

Last edited:
Hi,

congratulations and thanks for showing.

The balance problem could be fixed with a head or adapter which can take a long plate (e.g. Manfrotto 500PLONG or any Arca Swiss compatible head or adapter).

No ideal about the serial numbers, unfortunately...

Enjoy the view!

Joachim

As noted above you may need a spacer but this might help:

The screw is a couple of inches long so should give clearance. You'd need to remove the circlip, put some washers over the screw and then replace the circlip.

Cheers, Pete

As noted above you may need a spacer but this might help:

The screw is a couple of inches long so should give clearance. You'd need to remove the circlip, put some washers over the screw and then replace the circlip.

Cheers, Pete
I have "shed grade" workshop abilities - I can certainly fashion a spacer (AKA square of aluminium with a 1/4" hole it)

Thank you for your post - most helpful.

BugBear

Shed productions inc presents...

sheddy.jpg

That's some scraps of mahogany, 74mm radius cut in the "fat end" support, lined with felt. The entire device was assembled and fixed to the telescope via a 1/4" bolt through the hole in the left; a chopstick was used as a pivot to locate the balance point, and a 1/4" T-nut fitted in a 8mm hole drilled per the chopstick.

The balance is now perfect. The new fixing point is a rather huge 100mm from the original one! Moving the balance point of a 1.2 Kg scope over that distance has made a very big difference.

BugBear

Last edited:
Well done!
If you're carrying the scope in the field though it might be advisable to load the felt support. A thick rubber band perhaps?

John

Well done!
If you're carrying the scope in the field though it might be advisable to load the felt support. A thick rubber band perhaps?

John
I thought I'd need that, but since the wooden platform under the screw is actually a shade too low (by about 1.5mm), there's a slight leverage from the rear of the platform providing very definite downforce at the felt end. A convenient error that I didn't design in :)

BugBear

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back