• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missing Northern Cardinals on Eastern Long Island (1 Viewer)

Hamptons

United States
I usually have 15 pairs of cardinals in winter and I noticed today I haven’t seen a cardinal since autumn. I’ve been feeding birds for >20 years. On a day like today, with 18” of snow on the ground, I should have plenty of cardinals. Maybe it’s a local problem, like a hawk or cat that’s been attracted to a cardinal roosting place or something. But I’m wondering if anyone else is missing or has seen a drop in cardinal population in northeast US.

My Cardinal population has calmed down a bit as well. Perhaps there is a Bird of Prey hanging around. Do you notice other reductions of bird species?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I don’t notice any reduction in the number of the usual winter suspects. I’ve got blue jays, white throated sparrows, juncos and mourning doves. I expect the grackles & redwing blackbirds will return in a few weeks. They usually arrive back in mid to late February. The lack of cardinals made me think of the time West Nile virus infected corvids like blue jays, and conjunctivitis infected house finches. I hope it’s just a local blip and not an illness.

Two most common...first even a small change in regards to different canopy level differences. This because disrupting a certain staging area that they are used to seeing and using and second because it's winter time when their favorite forage of natural protein/insects are not available and they rely on you for a favorite source has changed that can be a issue. Breaking down micro nutrients from seeds for certain birds can be a issue because of the phytic acids. Not sure on the Cardinal but try their favorite seed the Grey Striped sunflower seed only rather than a mix.

I'm in Western New Jersey and have been seeing Cardinals at my feeder, but admittedly, not as many as previous years. I also haven't seen a single Tufted Titmouse and used to have so many. It's odd.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back