Mist nets set at Newport Wetlands – Police appeal for information (1 Viewer)

Jon Turner

That's truly terrible. How low can people sink?

Begs the question: "Where do people like this get these nets from"? Are they cheap imports or from one of the BTO approved suppliers?

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
More barbarity against wildlife, in the name of profit. Just Google 'cheap mist nets' and you'll find plenty of suppliers from USA, Poland, China and elsewhere. Most cover themselves by saying something like "These nets are only for trapping pest species ..." but there is no mechanism in place to check who's buying them, and what they are actually going to be used for.

Chris

fugl

What are the target species, just finches? Greenfinch? Goldfinch? Chaffinch? What & where is the market for the catch?

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
What are the target species, just finches? Greenfinch? Goldfinch? Chaffinch? What & where is the market for the catch?

Ordinarily I'd have said it was just native finches, and they were being fed into the aviculture trade disguised as captive bred birds. There is another possibility though. As the supply of wild birds for 'food' from southern / eastern Europe is coming under pressure from conservation groups I've a suspicion that this trade will spread throughout the parts of Europe that haven't had any connection with eating small birds for centuries, in some cases, in order to continue the supply of what is supposed to be a 'delicacy'.

Chris

Peter C.

...just zis guy, you know?
There is another possibility though. As the supply of wild birds for 'food' from southern / eastern Europe is coming under pressure from conservation groups I've a suspicion that this trade will spread throughout the parts of Europe that haven't had any connection with eating small birds for centuries, in some cases, in order to continue the supply of what is supposed to be a 'delicacy'.

Chris

Oh, lord. If this really comes to pass, every species of bird in the so-called "civilized world" will be following the tiger and all the rhino spp. down a very short road.

Mist nets should, perhaps, be regulated as "hazardous materials" - only sold to licensed individuals. It wouldn't stop this sort of thing, but it could give the law some sort of leverage on illegal trappers.

Mary

Behind the nets in the picture, there is a warning sign about quicksands .......you know where I'm going with this!

crabplover

Behind the nets in the picture, therhttp://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/appl.gife is a warning sign about quicksands .......you know where I'm going with this!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyone know of any genuine ringers missing?

Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread