• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mitchell Lake, San Antonio, Texas (1 Viewer)

Chuppy

Hello!
I visited Mitchell Lake for the first time yesterday and saw a great haul of wildlife, including some fantastic photos of White Pelicans and an amazing view of a bobcat.
I was able to identify most of the birds pretty easily, some were similar or the same to what I am used to from the UK, several were ones I am already familiar with from around SA, some were just unique enough to be easy to figure out.
It took a little longer to identify a few birds (turns out Spotted Sandpipers don't have spots in winter!), but there are a few birds I snapped photos of that I am still having trouble identifying.

DSC_0079s.jpg

DSC_0091s.jpg

DSC_0102s.jpg

DSC_0171s.jpg

DSC_0198s.jpg

I want to say one is a Chipping Sparrow... but it just looks a bit off compared to the hordes of them I get devouring seed in my garden.

I'm not entirely sure on this grebe, from my bird book it seems as though it has too long a neck to be Horned or Eared grebe, so I was thinking it was either a Western or Clark's Grebe?

DSC_9784s.jpg

No clue on this one.

DSC_9825s.jpg

My best guess here is a female American Redstart?

DSC_9906s.jpg

DSC_9908s.jpg

Thanks for the help!
Tom

Post 1:
1 Red-winged Blackbird, female
2 White-crowned Sparrow
3 Myrtle Warbler (a.k.a. Yellow-rumped Warbler)
5 Eastern Phoebe

Post 2:
2 Orange-crowned Warbler
4 Myrtle Warbler (a.k.a. Yellow-rumped Warbler)

Last edited:
Post 1:
1 Red-winged Blackbird, female
2 White-crowned Sparrow
5 Eastern Phoebe

Post 2:
2 Orange-crowned Warbler
4 Myrtle Warbler (a.k.a. Yellow-rumped Warbler)

Agree with these and will add...

4. is an immature White-crowned Sparrow
Post 2, pic 1 is an Eared Grebe that just has its neck stretched out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back