• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed singing in nightingales (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
I recently read this article and was wondering whether mixed singing can interfere with nightingale identification based on song? There where I live common nightingales seem to far outnumber thrush nightingales. The benchmark for their discrimination is supposedly the presence of a series of low, sweet whistles (I would say it should also end with a jumbled flourish, but I'm not sure if it's official). My experience with thrush nightingales is purely anecdotal, but they seem to be able to produce these whistles, too, albeit no more than two in a row and with no flourish at the end of the phrase. I suppose there are also other differences between the birds' songs (pace, liquidness), but I'd prefer to stick to the hard-and-fast.

Each year I hear several males of both species and usually have no issue to ID them with confidence. At some places one can listen to both parallel. But if there is a mixed singer the problem is that you usually don't see them well, moreover the fact that they hybridize quite regularly doesn't make it easier. So, I'd say yes, mixed singing can interfere with nightingale ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back