• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcap singing like a Nightingale (2 Viewers)

jurek

A week ago I heard what I thought to be the first Nightingale for the season. It turned to be a Blackcap singing a song similar to the Nightingale, but not exactly so. It them started signing the typical Blackcap song. It is at least the second time i heard this.

How common it is? Why Blackcap do this? Many birds imitate others, but Blackcaps usually don't.

I noticed earlier, than when I try taping other birds, often a Blackcap comes and listens carefully. I had a weird idea that Blackcaps, being common and rather unspecialized insect-eaters, watch other species in their territory and also sing to deter them, because their food niches overlap. Is it likely?

The Blackcap is probably one of the most accomplished imitators in the WP. It might not imitate as religiously as some other species do, but it's not terribly uncommon in my experience. For instance, I'm pretty sure I've heard one imitate a Nightingale before, and also heard a very decent rendition of a Common Redstart song from another individual.
That said, I don't know if your theory is correct or not. It's an interesting thought to be sure.

The best one I've heard from a Blackcap is a perfect (to my ear) rendition of Willow Warbler song, repeated 3 times before it turned into a "normal" Blackcap

Birds which I know as perfect imitators - like Starling, Marsh Warbler or Bluethroat - normally sing their own song, but they substitute some phrase with perfect, audio-recording quality snippet of other species. So there is little confusion. For Blackcap, it is different - it repeats a longer imitated song but not perfectly, like it really tried but could not. And then switches to the typical Blackcap song.

The Blackcap is probably one of the most accomplished imitators in the WP. It might not imitate as religiously as some other species do, but it's not terribly uncommon in my experience. For instance, I'm pretty sure I've heard one imitate a Nightingale before, and also heard a very decent rendition of a Common Redstart song from another individual.
That said, I don't know if your theory is correct or not. It's an interesting thought to be sure.
I can add an Icterine Warbler imitation to that.

EDIT: called the leiern song in the article, I believe
Recordings No. 5 (see the description) and 9 (at the very beginning) from the above contain Nightingale imitations.

EDIT: The whole article discusses different types of Blackcap songs, and tries to establish the function of some of their components.

Last edited:
Plenty of examples of imitations/mimicry on xeno-canto https://xeno-canto.org/species/Sylvia-atricapilla including Great Tit, Willow, Sedge, Reed and Icterine Warblers, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Spotted Flycatcher, Thrush Nightingale, Nightingale, Pied Flycatcher and Common Redstart to name a few, my search was not complete.

This individual in Sweden XC727139 Eurasian Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) imitates/mimics at least Thrush Nightingale, Icterine and Reed Warblers.

Grahame

Last year there were a few reports (by multiple observers) of a Melodius Warbler at local nature reserve. The bird was heard calling but was never seen. After a week someone found out that it was a Blackcap imitating a Melodious Warbler. It managed to fool some very experienced birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back