• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monitor opinions (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
I've got an ADI microscan 19" TFT monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. I'd like something glossier with better colours and have looked at the Samsung Syncmaster T220 and Dell SP2208WFP. It was hard to assess them in PC World. They are both 1680x1050 22" screens and both get good reviews. I wonder if anyone here is actually using either or has an opinion?

Thanks

Tim

May I suggest a visit to AV Forums ? And in particular the Monitor section. To my uncertain knowledge there are hundreds to choose from but there are, apparently, a lot of pitfalls to be overcome.
There is a Monitor check thing that I will try and find for you.

I am not using that one in particular but I do know that the biggest monitor you can get, get it.... Monitors only last a few years while your "eyes"...well, you want to last longer. When I view images I want to view them on the biggest screen possible...simple!...

Thanks Imans66. I think I'm going to wait a little and get a better quality panel type than the ones I initially suggested and may well get 24" instead of 22".

Its well worth researching monitors because the type of panel can make a big difference to a panel for graphics use. TN panels, which are very common, aren't perfect because the colours and brightness shift depending on the angle of view.
I've got a reasonable Samsung at the moment but when the piggy banks's got a few coins in it I'm going for one of these http://www.nativedigital.co.uk/shop/product.php/678/eizo-coloredge-cg222w---22--widescreen
Talking to a couple of professional photographers they've equated having an expensive camera and lenses and then spending a couple of hundred quid on a monitor to putting cross ply tyres on a Ferrari

Its well worth researching monitors because the type of panel can make a big difference to a panel for graphics use. TN panels, which are very common, aren't perfect because the colours and brightness shift depending on the angle of view.
I've got a reasonable Samsung at the moment but when the piggy banks's got a few coins in it I'm going for one of these http://www.nativedigital.co.uk/shop/product.php/678/eizo-coloredge-cg222w---22--widescreen
Talking to a couple of professional photographers they've equated having an expensive camera and lenses and then spending a couple of hundred quid on a monitor to putting cross ply tyres on a Ferrari

That looks a great monitor Paul but I don't think I could ever justify spending quite that much.

As to your last comment about putting cross-plys on a Ferrari, that's more the sort of problem I'm thinking of. My new monitor at work - a standard Dell 19" workstation monitor - makes my pics look much nicer than my monitor at home. I want something that shows me what my camera is really capturing but I'm still hopefull that I might get a £200-300 screen that will have a S-IPS panel and do the job.

Cheers

Tim

That looks a great monitor Paul but I don't think I could ever justify spending quite that much.

As to your last comment about putting cross-plys on a Ferrari, that's more the sort of problem I'm thinking of. My new monitor at work - a standard Dell 19" workstation monitor - makes my pics look much nicer than my monitor at home. I want something that shows me what my camera is really capturing but I'm still hopefull that I might get a £200-300 screen that will have a S-IPS panel and do the job.

Cheers

Tim

Well I might be selling a Samsung 215tw soon ;)

Its s-pva but still a nice monitor. I just wish I hadn't had a play with the Eizo!

Last edited:
Don't tempt me Paul - LOL. I saw a second hand S-IPS 20" monitor on eBay the other day for £180 but didn't get it because I thought I'd like something a little bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back