• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mono pod suggestions for a Swarovski 8x56 (1 Viewer)

David N

Northamptonshire
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hello. As the subject. I’m looking for recommendations on mono pods. For the 8x56 binoculars, I’m not sure if I need mount or a simple strap setup. My height is 1.75m, 5’9”.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

David

If u don't mind asking how do you find the 8x56 ? I am contemplating 8 or 10x56 and using a monopod. I like the eye relief on the 56's just makes them very easy to use. Previously used binoculars on a tripod a lot and found it made a huge difference for extended viewing so a monopod is ideal I think to take the weight.

The advantage of the SLC stud mount is it adds a good - 2 1/2 inches to the monopods height. Beautifully made, but obviously Swarovski priced. I've used it on cheap and dearer monopods and to be honest unlike tripods found the difference in stability pretty minimal - just get one tall enough which can be an issue.

A mounting stud on the hinge would interfere with how I like to handle and hold binoculars, but if you would only be using them mounted that's not a concern. I've used a monopod with a film camera (in the days before high ISO) but never a bin, which I imagine being more awkward somehow. If you truly need support, have you considered a finnstick?

If u don't mind asking how do you find the 8x56 ? I am contemplating 8 or 10x56 and using a monopod. I like the eye relief on the 56's just makes them very easy to use. Previously used binoculars on a tripod a lot and found it made a huge difference for extended viewing so a monopod is ideal I think to take the weight
Hello, I have only been interested in the 8x56. 8x is my preferred magnification. I wear spectacles, hence any binoculars I buy need to accommodate them.
The Swarovski’s are stunning, I have only had them a few days, and the ability to observe under less than ideal light conditions is outstanding. In England we have had weeks of rain and overcast days, more than I ever remember.
I would politely suggest try them both out and pick the one you like best.
Ps they really come alive at early dawn and dusk.

David

Last edited:
The advantage of the SLC stud mount is it adds a good - 2 1/2 inches to the monopods height. Beautifully made, but obviously Swarovski priced. I've used it on cheap and dearer monopods and to be honest unlike tripods found the difference in stability pretty minimal - just get one tall enough which can be an issue.
Richard.
Thank you for your reply. I have looked at the stud mount, I agree with you it’s expensive. however in the long term it’s an investment that I would consider.

Tenex mentioned a finnstick, never heard of this. So I will investigate.

David

Hello, I have only been interested in the 8x56. 8x is my preferred magnification. I wear spectacles, hence any binoculars I buy need to accommodate them.
The Swarovski’s are stunning, I have only had them a few days, and the ability to observe under less than ideal light conditions is outstanding. In England we have had weeks of rain and overcast days, more than I ever remember.
I would politely suggest try them both out and pick the one you like best.
Ps they really come alive at early dawn and dusk.

David
Thanks David, I up north in Scotland so I hear you on having something that works well in less than ideal light. I also wear glasses and from what I can tell the SLC 8 or 10 x 56 have the best eye relief of any binocular. Finding somewhere to try them is not easy in the UK. I don't mind the size/weight as long as the eye relief is good and the eye positioning is easy. I used to own the 8x32 EL but I found the eye relief a little short.

A mounting stud on the hinge would interfere with how I like to handle and hold binoculars, but if you would only be using them mounted that's not a concern. I've used a monopod with a film camera (in the days before high ISO) but never a bin, which I imagine being more awkward somehow. If you truly need support, have you considered a finnstick?
tenex.

I was not aware of a “finnstick” thank you.

Having searched about them, they could be juts the thing I looking for Light, relatively small and practical.

The 8x56 are not excessively cumbersome or weighty. I’m practicing various hold positions. However if I see a subject I wish to spend time observing, support would be welcomed.

David

Hello. As the subject. I’m looking for recommendations on mono pods. For the 8x56 binoculars, I’m not sure if I need mount or a simple strap setup. My height is 1.75m, 5’9”.

David
David,

This is what I use SIRUI AM-404FL+QC-38 Professional Quick Setup Monopod

71bFs6f+tjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71hIyeCHHDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

plus a BOG pod BOG Binocular Rest | Bog. The BOG works great stationary from a blind etc., but I would not grab the monopod with the binos on top sneaking through the woods, the rubber strap is not secure enough for that.
735547-BBR-Ghost-Only.jpeg
This would be the better solution TAs-SLC tripod adapter for SLC - SWAROVSKI OPTIK, as mentioned by others above.

Thanks David, I up north in Scotland so I hear you on having something that works well in less than ideal light. I also wear glasses and from what I can tell the SLC 8 or 10 x 56 have the best eye relief of any binocular. Finding somewhere to try them is not easy in the UK. I don't mind the size/weight as long as the eye relief is good and the eye positioning is easy. I used to own the 8x32 EL but I found the eye relief a little short.
My experience is that they are the most comfortable and repeatable eye placement I have ever had.
My glasses are the first things on in the morning and last off at night.
When I see something that peaks my interest. I put up my binoculars to get a clearer view. If that then turns into something I want to see in a more immersive view, off come the glasses.
Like you I have a pair of EL 8x32 pre swarovision. And recently purchased Zeiss 8x40 SFL, which are outstanding, better than the EL’s with regard to wearing glasses. The eyecups are the best I have ever seen/used.

I would suggest that you contact Swarovski in the UK and ask which dealer has the 8 and 10 x56 near to you. They should be able to help you.

David

David
You might consider the Velbon Ultra Super 8 ( =TOP= of Velbon Tripod ), a compact stick that can be easily set to any length between 26 cm and 156 cm. It serves well as a finn stick and is good for a low power scope or a binocular.

Hi David,

I also have the 8x56 SLC. My first thought was also the TAs-SLC adapter originally intended for the 15x56 SLC. It uses a stud permanently fixed to the 1/4"x20 thread in the hinge and the adapter can be removed by flipping the lever. However, I'm not sure if it's still available and don't really like the idea of putting a shear load on such a short 1/4" thread.

Perhaps a platform adapter would be a better (and cheaper) solution. I have the Leica adapter but the big SLC is a very tight fit, and on the very reasonably priced Berlebach adapter the longitudinally convex barrels tend to rock back and forth. The BOG adapter suggested in the previous post might be a good compromise.

With a monopod you need neither lateral tilt, as on a ball head, nor panorama function. A simple tilt head such as the Manfrotto 234 or Sirui L-10 is ideal.
At 175 cm your eye level is at about 165 cm and head and binocular will contribute more than 10 cm, so any monopod extending to 155 cm should be adequate. If you want to use it for stargazing then allow a little more.

For monopods, stability is not an issue and the minimal weight saving of carbon fibre can hardly be justified. A cheap aluminium monopod should serve well.

John

David
For a few years I use my Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 on a monopod. My experience is that you need a really good one, then the effective magnification doubles because of binocular summation. So I bought the Really Right Stuff MC-34. Yes, it really hurts when you pay but it's worth it. Much better built than my Gitzo tripod, extremely stable, thick legs, fast deployment and not heavy. It's on the side of my backpack, held by the straps and secured with a carabiner.

For a few years I use my Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 on a monopod. My experience is that you need a really good one, then the effective magnification doubles because of binocular summation. So I bought the Really Right Stuff MC-34. Yes, it really hurts when you pay but it's worth it. Much better built than my Gitzo tripod, extremely stable, thick legs, fast deployment and not heavy. It's on the side of my backpack, held by the straps and secured with a carabiner.
Thank you. RRS is not available in UK ( I haven’t found a dealer) your right they are costly. I will be looking for something that is more wallet friendly, to make sure it works for me.
David

@dmcharg: I forgot to mention that I have the 10 and 15x56 SLC, and consider the 10x the best optically I've ever had. I see similar praise here of the 8x, and both have plenty of eye relief, so it's just a question of which magnification/FOV you prefer. I'm a 10x guy, eye positioning is already very easy with a 5.6mm exit pupil, and I doubt my own expands much further anymore.

@David N: I agree with John that you shouldn't need a fancy/expensive monopod. I have a Leki-made hiking pole with a screw under its knob, and my wife's Gitzo equivalent (also aluminum) has a tiny ball head too. I have the Bog-pod adapter mentioned above, which works well on a tripod for astronomy, but IPD can't be adjusted without undoing it.

@David N: I agree with John that you shouldn't need a fancy/expensive monopod.

That's indeed not necessary when you want to reduce fatigue and to have a more stable image. However, to get the full effect of binocular summation and the best image you need a very good monopod. If weight is important then the Leki hiking pole wins of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back