• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monteverde, Costa Rica birds in need of ID (2 Viewers)

Tonkin14

I had some great guides in the general Monteverde area . . . and then there are these photos that I took on my own in Monteverde Cloud Forest. I'm hoping for some help with a few that I'm having trouble IDing. Thank you!

4, House Wren?
7, Yellowish Flycatcher?
8, Three-striped or Golden-crowned Warbler?
9, Plain Wren?
3 and 5, two different pigeons--I'm fairly certain that they were different species, though hard to tell from photos
Other two I don't have a good idea of.

Attachments

• Monteverde 4.JPG
    Monteverde 4.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 26
  • Monteverde 3.JPG
    Monteverde 3.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Monteverde 2.JPG
    Monteverde 2.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 23
  • Monteverde 7-2.JPG
    Monteverde 7-2.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 20
  • Monteverde 6.JPG
    Monteverde 6.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 18
  • Monteverde 5.JPG
    Monteverde 5.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 23
  • Monteverde 8.JPG
    Monteverde 8.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Monteverde 9.JPG
    Monteverde 9.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
7-2 yellowish flycatcher (round head, brown wing bars, white eye ring)
8 got to be Costa Rican warbler
9 looks like house wren

7-2 yellowish flycatcher (round head, brown wing bars, white eye ring)
8 got to be Costa Rican warbler
9 looks like house wren
The Costa Rican Warbler doesn't appear in my guidebook, so I looked it up online, and the internet tells me it is also known as the Black-eared Warbeler, which also doesn't appear in my book. After a little more digging, it seems at some point the Costa Rican Warbler split off from the Three-striped Warbler--is this accurate? How do I differentiate the two? I'm also now wondering about my Three-striped ID for this picture, for example.

Attachments

• Monteverde 1.JPG
    Monteverde 1.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 13
Additionally, we have only one image in the gallery for CR warbler, yours would be a welcome addition.
Niels
Surprised you've not had more images of this species: we found it quite common (if in low light & rain!) at Monteverde in 2022. I've just loaded a couple of images to the Gallery in case you're still looking for more examples. Chris.

Surprised you've not had more images of this species: we found it quite common (if in low light & rain!) at Monteverde in 2022. I've just loaded a couple of images to the Gallery in case you're still looking for more examples. Chris.
Great! Explanation might very well be related to photographers not being happy about the quality of their shots due to low light.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back