• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (6 Viewers)

Hi DMK, I did not have my binoculars and just got a fleeting glimpse but heard thier sounds but as you say the more i think of it and after listining to the two diffrent sounds a mistle thrush could easily be mistaking for a fieldfare.
http://www.aviflevoland.nl/sounddb/F/Fieldfare.mp3

Today at lossie estuary i saw a lesser bbg with pink legs instead of yellow legs.... hybrid herring ?

Last edited:
In no way a twitching question ;-) does anyone have a good location for Whinchat in Moray and Nairn? A species that has eluded me for at least three years! Any info gratefully recieved.

Dave

Great info on the lesser bbg Dave.. good find. Your answer too whinchat.. I have seen them on the outskirts of Elgin along with stonchat.
If you drive the lossie - fochabers road, go across the river lossie 3 mile out of lossie? 200 yards on take a left at a farm on your right. There is a car park for walkers. a mile up the path heading north take a right turn and there is a 500yard path?? walk this path till the end, that is where i have saw them.

Questions time for your fine minds.

Autumn is nigh upon us once again, and this year is my first as a birder. As a total novice I'd love some thoughts on where is a good spot to catch autumn winter wildfowl along the moray fifth, and what's likely to occour. All assistance is appreciated, as early info means I can chase up jus and train time tables as we don't have a car. Cheers in advance, R.

Hi Ratal. I'm based on the Moray Firth South side near forres. Burghead is superb for winter seaducks. Nearest train station forres or Elgin good bus service to both burgheaandd lossiemouth. Feel free to give me a phone or PM for more deatils of where to go and what to see. To many things to put on here! North side of firth brill as well. Embo, portmahommick etc.

Dave

Re: Questions time for your fine minds.

Autumn is nigh upon us once again, and this year is my first as a birder. As a total novice I'd love some thoughts on where is a good spot to catch autumn winter wildfowl along the moray fifth, and what's likely to occour. All assistance is appreciated, as early info means I can chase up jus and train time tables as we don't have a car. Cheers in advance, R.

Hi Ratal,
I'd def check out Dave's website (above) as it might be just what you're looking for if you're planning a visit to the Moray Firth. Don't know if you're planning to travel as far east as this but RSPB Loch of Strathbeg can be great for Whooper Swan, thousands of Pink-footed Geese and various waders in autumn/winter - bit of a walk in from the nearest bus stop though.

Hi Ratal. I'm based on the Moray Firth South side near forres. Burghead is superb for winter seaducks. Nearest train station forres or Elgin good bus service to both burgheaandd lossiemouth. Feel free to give me a phone or PM for more deatils of where to go and what to see. To many things to put on here! North side of firth brill as well. Embo, portmahommick etc.

Dave

Am going to take you up on the PM offer, as I need all the help I can gather up lol.

Your opening line is a bit depressing but quite true.....watch the Horse Chestnut trees up here....you can see the first yellowing of leaves in their tops often by beginning of August...two weeks.

Your opening line is a bit depressing but quite true.....watch the Horse Chestnut trees up here....you can see the first yellowing of leaves in their tops often by beginning of August...two weeks.

Proper planning and preperation prevents and all that! Get the info in two weeks early and then plan the day out in plenty of time to bag a good spot. Really looking forward to adding some of my 'never seens' to my list.

But in all seriousness, Winters coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back