• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My bins need repair (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
The eye cup on my binoculars became a bit loose a couple of months ago and wouldn't screw right down, just went round and round.

Now it has become completely detached. I've tried pushing it on, but it won't go.

Completely unusable now, sadly. Will they have to go away for repair - and where to?

Use a bit of electrical tape.
It is a cheap and unobtrusive repair, plus the glass is saved from the tender mercies of the postal service.

Is Pete Gamby from Opticron still about? Also dependant on which model you have Delia, the thread may have become stripped.

Use a bit of electrical tape.
It is a cheap and unobtrusive repair, plus the glass is saved from the tender mercies of the postal service.
Mmmm.... thanks. Quite prepared to do that. However, as I wear glasses and the other eye cup is right down, I can't get this one to anywhere near to match, I have to close one eye to see through them.

Ooops... can't remember and I've left them in the car! I just knew someone would ask me what model!!

I can't see how the thread could have become stripped Pat... once I screwed them down I just left them in place.

Pete (@pete_gamby) hasn't been on since Friday it seems.

Mmmm.... thanks. Quite prepared to do that. However, as I wear glasses and the other eye cup is right down, I can't get this one to anywhere near to match, I have to close one eye to see through them.
That's no good.
If you need to hold the one eye cup up, slip in a couple of O rings, that works really well and allows for gradual raising.
However, if you need to push the eye cup down and it's frozen in place, perhaps because of stripped threads, it will need to be brute force.

The eye cup is completely loose (it fell off yesterday).

It's no good.... I'll have to go out in the pitch dark and get them.... struggling to describe what's going on. I tried to push it back on but without getting a sledge hammer ;) I'm just not strong enough to force it on.

The eye cup is completely loose (it fell off yesterday).

It's no good.... I'll have to go out in the pitch dark and get them.... struggling to describe what's going on. I tried to push it back on but without getting a sledge hammer ;) I'm just not strong enough to force it on.
Sorry to hear that, but happily electric tape is still the easy answer.
It simply requires winding multiple turns of the tape around the eye piece to build up an adequate cup.
It won't be adjustable, but that should not matter for your own glass.
When I was in Hokkaido, my pelagics guide had that arrangement on his glass, albeit with an overwrap of duct tape, which is much wider and helped create a defined cushion for his own glasses.

Right.... it's freezing out there!!!

They're Opticron Discovery WP PC

Sorry to hear that, but happily electric tape is still the easy answer.
It simply requires winding multiple turns of the tape around the eye piece to build up an adequate cup.
It won't be adjustable, but that should not matter for your own glass.
When I was in Hokkaido, my pelagics guide had that arrangement on his glass, albeit with an overwrap of duct tape, which is much wider and helped create a defined cushion for his own glasses.
As the left one won't screw right down, I'd have to raise the other one up a bit to match then? Think I can manage that.

I've got some duct tape, it's brown though. But will maybe do until I can get some black stuff!

I'm still guessing that if they're twist up and down then some part of the plastic helical sleeve has worn through at some stage. Good luck with the repair.

helical sleeve
LOL no idea what that is.... but thanks Pat. Don't understand how anything can have worn through when they just don't get moved, don't think I've moved them since I first got them. The other one is working really smoothly.

And thanks to you too Etudiant.

The eye cup on my binoculars became a bit loose a couple of months ago and wouldn't screw right down, just went round and round.

Now it has become completely detached. I've tried pushing it on, but it won't go.

Completely unusable now, sadly. Will they have to go away for repair - and where to?
That's what happened to mine Delia, Swarovski fixed them for free even though no longer under guarantee.

Imagine a high, kids slide which comes down in a series of curves in the same direction from the top, that shape is a helix, a screw thread is helical.

Last edited:
As the left one won't screw right down, I'd have to raise the other one up a bit to match then? Think I can manage that.

I've got some duct tape, it's brown though. But will maybe do until I can get some black stuff!
As long as that does not gum up your FoV, I'd think you'd be golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back