• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Purple Emperor (2 Viewers)

Steve Babbs said:
You will have a local butterfly recorder, check out your local naturalists society. Please send it to them. Keep up the good finds. The publicising sites debate is one Harry and I have already got into a bit. I personally feel that the threat from publicising sites in minimal and the benefits of letting people know where they can see 'exotic' wildlife is real and reduces accusations of elitism. Certainly in ten years of working in conservation I never heard anyone even mention collectors as a threat to butterflies.

Steve

I have been put in touch with the local branch of Butterfly Conservation who are delighted with the record. Apparently there is one previous record from Black Park from July 2000. I met two people I know and trust looking for the PE following my report. They weren't sure where I meant so my directions were vague enough to confuse!
I will of course submit any subsequent sightings, they do not have many recorders in this part of the county apparently. I had a brief view of three large butterflies having a disagreement in the canopy yesterday but couldn't id them. I'm hooked now...

Robin

RobinD said:
Thanks Booder,

So how would I go about looking for the master tree? What type of tree is it likely to be. If I remember correctly, the foodplant is Willow species. The woodland is 'very' mixed beech, oak and pine. I understand the usual sightings of PE are gliding high in the canopy.
Any advice gratefully received.

Robin
Our "Master tree" in the Savernake Forest is a big beech,your tree will sit a little higher than the surounding trees and often have sallow growing underneath, as a result most masters are found on ride or clearing edges,the Purple emperor is most often seen by using binoculars or scopes and scanning the canopy ,only rarely does it come down to ground level(early in the morn for both sexes and between noon and 2pm for ovipositing females).

Colin.

Last edited:
mothman said:
Our "Master tree" in the Savernake Forest is a big beech,your tree will sit a little higher than the surounding trees and often have sallow growing underneath, as a result most masters are found on ride or clearing edges,the Purple emperor is most often seen by using binoculars or scopes and scanning the canopy ,only rarely does it come down to ground level(early in the morn for both sexes and between noon and 2pm for ovipositing females).

Colin.

Thanks Colin,

It has been too windy for successful searching. Today all I managed was one Meadow Brown and one Speckled Wood!

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back