• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my poor hedgehog (1 Viewer)

:Just heard that my next door neigbour has found our hedgehog in her garden and has took it down to near by woods :confused: Its been comming to me for years and now its gone :faint: Icarnt beleive it so what do you think do you think it will be ok theres not alot i can do about it now said her husband wont have it ruining his lawn im so upset by it :frown:

Whilst Hedgehogs can dig, I've not seen them do anything more than lightly scrape the surface, those in my garden do no damage to the lawn. It could be that your neighbour is blaming the wrong beastie? Squirrels do much more digging in my garden.

I moved about 10 years ago, made the garden more wildlife friendly and the next year three 'Hogs moved in. They've drastically reduced the number of snails and slugs I experience. Most gardener's positively encourage Hogs.

Woodland edges with grassland can be a good habitat for 'Hogs, although "yours" had already chosen where it wanted to live and may have started constructing its hibernaculum (hibernation nest).

Hopefully it wasn't a female with hoglets, as these would be unlikely to survive.

'Hogs can travel considerable distances, so it's not impossible that it will return as the wood is nearby, or another may move into this tried and tested territory.

All in all it seems a misguided act by your neighbour.

i am annoyed but its like talking to a brick wall somtimes i just hope hes ok hes been comming here for years but theres nothing i can do about it i dont even know how hes got in her garden its like fort knox. dont know why she just didnt bring him round to mine :confused but i just want him to be ok I carnt control what people do can i so ill have to put it down to one ov those things that happen in life god knows theres alot of them a latley :frown:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back