• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Review (2 Viewers)

Nice write up.

I’ve had my EL SV 8.5x42 for about 10-years. My wife bought her SLC HD 8x42 (prefers the handling and finds the view more comfortable) on the same day. Both pairs have under all conditions (dawn, dusk, rain forest, mountains, safari, night sky, etc. ), continually delivered truly outstanding views throughout. They put a smile on my face every time I use them.

Both came with the full field case and cleaning kit and neither are suffering with ‘armour’ issues.

I recently compared my EL with a pair of NL Pure 8x42. The NL were impressive with some improvements in handling and optically, but nothing that would give me cause to ’upgrade’ from the EL (breath a sigh of relief 😅).

And an armor issue that’s been going on for far to long. 😞
Swarovski have scored something of an own goal here too, because (and I've seen several examples of this myself) the unprotected EL binoculars are loose in the box and the tops of the barrels are rubbing against the roof of the box in transit, leading to worn white areas of armour, so the brand new binoculars are arriving at retailers looking very secondhand. Swarovski don't even pack the binoculars in a plastic bag, which would be a simple enough solution to avoiding degraded patches of armour on the tops of the barrels.

I've heard Swarovski are in the process of assessing and redesigning all their packaging, so that might cure this particular problem.

It's a truly crazy situation that the armour covering their binoculars needs to be protected itself, in the event that someone actually uses a pair of their binoculars...😉😕

Swarovski have scored something of an own goal here too, because (and I've seen several examples of this myself) the unprotected EL binoculars are loose in the box and the tops of the barrels are rubbing against the roof of the box in transit, leading to worn white areas of armour, so the brand new binoculars are arriving at retailers looking very secondhand. Swarovski don't even pack the binoculars in a plastic bag, which would be a simple enough solution to avoiding degraded patches of armour on the tops of the barrels.

I've heard Swarovski are in the process of assessing and redesigning all their packaging, so that might cure this particular problem.

It's a truly crazy situation that the armour covering their binoculars needs to be protected itself, in the event that someone actually uses a pair of their binoculars...😉😕
I don’t remember how ours were packaged, (though I’d be surprised if the boxes were not in the loft somewhere). It is baffling and somewhat remiss of Swarovski that they are not properly protecting their products for shipping.

As mentioned, neither of our pairs have suffered damage or failings in the armour coating after more than ten-years of (moderate) use. I guess that we may not be very representative of typical alpha binocular users and that many users carry their binoculars into the field daily or at least more frequently than we do.

I've just got some Leicas, and I have to say the overall packaging and presentation was superb.
So it's not difficult.
It also adds to the sense of occasion when you receive them.
Swarovski need to address this because their bins are superb.
What a shame.

I've just got some Leicas, and I have to say the overall packaging and presentation was superb.
So it's not difficult.
It also adds to the sense of occasion when you receive them.
Swarovski need to address this because their bins are superb.
What a shame.
RG, I suppose. Both, my ELs from 2020, and NLs this year, came with what I thought was typical over the top Swarovski packaging. Gorgeous to be sure, beautifully made, graphics impressive, binos and accessories nicely nestled in, protected. Im of two minds on this though.

First its not just that I paid this much for these binoculars so I should get nice packaging. Its also at the same time, not only do they want me to pay all this money for these bins, now I gotta pay for this box to?

And what am I supposed to do with the box? The binos, I get it, I use them. Theyre awesome. The box? Well its joins a bunch of others taking up room in my closet. Cant toss the thing. Its too nice. It adds value if I go to sell. So now I have a closet to keep all those empty boxes for all the stuff I've bought... really?

I did not know the downgraded EL got short shrift, but if we tried in our minds eye, to justify the lower price of the ELs (after the NLs were announced), just via the reduced short focus, less expensive eyepiece, well that never seemed enough so cheaper packaging to lower price is the "price" we pay.

I get it though if the cheaper box, does not protect the bino well, thats uncool.

Last edited:
I’m of two minds on this. On one hand when were spending big bucks on high end binoculars we want it to come with equal nice quality accessories, bag, strap, objective and ocular covers. On the other hand how much does it really ad to the package. One way or another we’re going to get a quality carry bag, because it’s needed to protect the investment, so we’re paying one way or another. The box/packaging is another thing, I’m not to sure it’s a dramatic cost, because either way they have to supply a reasonable quality packing box. Even less expensive binoculars have decent packaging, so that might be very negligible. And there still is some prestige for company image, which at these prices there is something to be said for that.

The shorter close focus has been discussed quite a bit , I don’t recall if there was any determination about how this is being achieved and how much is being saved. I will say I’ve had multiple side by side comparisons with the short and longer focus spec bins , in both the 8.5x and 10x and there is no discernible optical difference. And to be honest I can’t really remember the last time that I needed the extra 2.5 feet of close focus. I think reducing the price $500 , from approximately $2700 to $2200 on an optics of this level ,which is still considered in the top 3-4 best in world is phenomenal. When comparing EL42’s to SF’s, NL’s and NV’s, there all on par with one another , except for the $1000 savings.

Paul

The shorter close focus has been discussed quite a bit , I don’t recall if there was any determination about how this is being achieved and how much is being saved. I will say I’ve had multiple side by side comparisons with the short and longer focus spec bins , in both the 8.5x and 10x and there is no discernible optical difference. And to be honest I can’t really remember the last time that I needed the extra 2.5 feet of close focus. I think reducing the price $500 , from approximately $2700 to $2200 on an optics of this level ,which is still considered in the top 3-4 best in world is phenomenal. When comparing EL42’s to SF’s, NL’s and NV’s, there all on par with one another , except for the $1000 savings.

Paul
The original supplied explanation for the lowered price of the longer focus ELs in 2020, (coincident with the announcement of the then new NLs), was twofold. They needed to adjust the price/value relationship of the EL when compared with the NL. And in lowering the price of the EL they needed to remove some cost to protect profit margin. Though as I recall the dirty word "profit" was never explicitly used, just inferred. The cost reduction was to come from a simplified eyepiece that took away that extra 2.5' of close focus ability. With no cost data available, we were left to wonder how could just the eyepiece/close focus feature cost, possibly cover the lower price? At least I did. Learning here the box has been downgraded as well, that kind of makes sense as it seems likely they would've been looking for more cost savings. Curiously though as you suggest, the lower quality box seems to have "cheapened" the package/aura of the EL bino and box, in a way that may hurt the EL image more than it helps the NL.

Then again checking BH, the EL 8.5x42 at $2000. vs The NL 8x42 at $3300., the EL seems a steal indeed. No doubt Swaro is looking at Zeiss's SF AND the SFL and is using the EL to challenge the price/value relationship of those 2.

Box? What box?

Learning here the box has been downgraded as well...
Tom, maybe I worded something poorly, which has led to this misunderstanding, but the box itself has not changed. Where once your shiny new EL's were sitting in the bottom of the box securely packed inside their Field Bag, which was previously an included accessory, they now sit atop a shaped white cardboard insert, naked and not braced in case the box tips sideways or is placed/stacked upside down when in transit between Austria and Swarovski's distribution and retailer network. It is the fact that the binoculars are basically rattling around sitting loose and unprotected in the box that is causing 'transit wear' to the armour, and I'd be amazed if this inadequate packaging isn't causing alignment issues with some brand new EL's too. And this switch to a cardboard insert and enclosed cloth bag affects the x50 EL's too, and those have not been 'downgraded' to cut costs or reduce prices, you just don't get a Field Bag anymore.

Of course, not all new EL's will be affected, just those whose boxes have travelled on their side or upside down, rather than horizontal the right way up.

James

Tom, maybe I worded something poorly, which has led to this misunderstanding, but the box itself has not changed. Where once your shiny new EL's were sitting in the bottom of the box securely packed inside their Field Bag, which was previously an included accessory, they now sit atop a shaped white cardboard insert, naked and not braced in case the box tips sideways or is placed/stacked upside down when in transit between Austria and Swarovski's distribution and retailer network. It is the fact that the binoculars are basically rattling around sitting loose and unprotected in the box that is causing 'transit wear' to the armour, and I'd be amazed if this inadequate packaging isn't causing alignment issues with some brand new EL's too. And this switch to a cardboard insert and enclosed cloth bag affects the x50 EL's too, and those have not been 'downgraded' to cut costs or reduce prices, you just don't get a Field Bag anymore.

Of course, not all new EL's will be affected, just those whose boxes have travelled on their side or upside down, rather than horizontal the right way up.

James
Thanks for clarifying James.

The original supplied explanation for the lowered price of the longer focus ELs in 2020, (coincident with the announcement of the then new NLs), was twofold. They needed to adjust the price/value relationship of the EL when compared with the NL. And in lowering the price of the EL they needed to remove some cost to protect profit margin. Though as I recall the dirty word "profit" was never explicitly used, just inferred. The cost reduction was to come from a simplified eyepiece that took away that extra 2.5' of close focus ability. With no cost data available, we were left to wonder how could just the eyepiece/close focus feature cost, possibly cover the lower price? At least I did. Learning here the box has been downgraded as well, that kind of makes sense as it seems likely they would've been looking for more cost savings. Curiously though as you suggest, the lower quality box seems to have "cheapened" the package/aura of the EL bino and box, in a way that may hurt the EL image more than it helps the NL.

Then again checking BH, the EL 8.5x42 at $2000. vs The NL 8x42 at $3300., the EL seems a steal indeed. No doubt Swaro is looking at Zeiss's SF AND the SFL and is using the EL to challenge the price/value relationship of those 2.

Box? What box?
That B&H sale on the EL’s (probably won’t last long) just makes an already excellent value even more so. Think about it, with $1300 in savings you could buy an EL instead of the the NV, SF and NL and have money left over to buy a Leica Retro 😉.

B&H also has the Leica Ultravids on sale for $2000 , a $400 savings. At these prices it’s hard to even consider SFL (unless for weight savings) or Vortex UHD’s.

The price increases on already ridiculously expensive optics over the last few years is hard to swallow. Prices are up but incomes are not, at least for many , and for some incomes are down, at least in the US.

Paul

Gdavis248,
Enjoy the glass, just look around and you can find a slightly used swaro case, they come up for sale on the bay quite frequent.

These Swaros are my first pair of "Alpha" level binoculars and just fyi, I am not a professional optics reviewer. Just a regular guys opinion and observations.

I was upgrading from mid-tier level ~$500 binoculars which were good but I just knew there had to be more. Just a quick short history, I've spent time with some Vortex Vipers, Nikon Monarch 7's, and currently own some Kowa BD II XD (all 8x42). But I kept reading about how great top tier binoculars like Swarovski were. I know there are other brands but for whatever reason I was drawn to Swarovski.

Once I got my hands on these I could immediately tell they are a high quality product. I love the fit and finish of the binoculars. The rain guards fit perfectly with a satisfying hold. I love the attachment system of the eye cups, it is very clean and they pop in and out easily but feel secure. I love the unique strap connection system. They include different mounts so you can attach traditional straps other than the unique Swarovski attachment. The only downside here, which I will admit, is baffling given the price- they do not come with a case of any kind, just a bag. Oh well. There are a few other small accessories and paperwork.

Then we get to the view, which is what we all care about right? The first thing I notice is just the overall clarity of the image. It is SO clear and crisp. You may think your current binoculars are sharp that I'm convinced until you look through a top tier binocular, you don't really know sharpness. These are crisp and clear literally all the way to the edge. There is no "sweet spot" because the entire view is sweet. They are wonderfully bright in perfectly lit conditions, however, they really shine in more dim light like at dawn/dusk. I’ve used these binoculars to view birds in my backyard until well after sunset. There is virtually no chromatic aberration visible until the final ~5% of the outer edges and even then you really have to look for it. The depth of focus is also better than all other binoculars I've used and focus wheel feels smooth and light.

Another big point, I am a glasses wearer and some binoculars can be very finnicky when it comes to placement and eye relief. Not so with these! With 20mm of eye relief it is so nice to have a pair that I can use with virtually no hassle while wearing my glasses. I bring them up and every time I have a perfect image.

Lastly, I would say the main thing I have noticed with these is just how easy on my eyes they are. All pairs of binoculars I’ve had in the past would eventually give me some type of eye strain. Some are much better or worse than others, but it seemed like no matter how good, I could only look through them for a while before my eyes started to feel tired. With these Swarovski EL’s, I have not experienced this feeling once! And I have been so captivated by the view that I can hardly stop looking through them when I put them up to my face. To me, this fact alone is almost enough to justify the price tag.

Overall, I highly recommend these binoculars! You will not be disappointed.
I am 75 years old and have developed a cataract mostly on my right eye. My 8.5x42 Swarovskis have been the best money I ever spent of a pair of binoculars. Now I can't benefit from using two eyes so I will be selling mine and getting a spotting scope. I have owned Zeiss and they are great but my Swaros are the best by far. They are like new with the original boxes and paperwork. If anybody has a nice scope to trade or offer as a partial trade I am in or I would sell them for $1500.

I am 75 years old and have developed a cataract mostly on my right eye. My 8.5x42 Swarovskis have been the best money I ever spent of a pair of binoculars. Now I can't benefit from using two eyes so I will be selling mine and getting a spotting scope. I have owned Zeiss and they are great but my Swaros are the best by far. They are like new with the original boxes and paperwork. If anybody has a nice scope to trade or offer as a partial trade I am in or I would sell them for $1500.
Ahh Dave, respectfully, please, why not reverse that plan? Keep the ELs and fix the Cataract? Im 79, had mine done this winter. Anyone struggling with Cataracts owes it to themselves to get that fixed before they do anything rash about their binos...

Tom’s advice is very sound.

Ahh Dave, respectfully, please, why not reverse that plan? Keep the ELs and fix the Cataract? Im 79, had mine done this winter. Anyone struggling with Cataracts owes it to themselves to get that fixed before they do anything rash about their binos...
I explored that avenue, due to the cost and other medical issues, I cannot get the cataract removed. That is why I would accept a good spotter in partial trade. Thanks though for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back