• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My tablet dilemma (1 Viewer)

PlayFreeBird

A few years ago, I realized the best way to reduce my kit was to exchange my guidebook for an app on a mobile device. I could use a smart phone, but I prefer the larger format of a tablet. The cheapest option was an Amazon Fire 8HD combined with the Sibley app. The app is glorious. The tablet less so. It had the annoying habit of randomly shutting off and only turning back on once connected to the charger. Every "answer" I could find on the web started with the suggestion you plug it in - which doesn't solve the problem. I thought maybe it was an interaction with a latch magnet on the bag I carried it with, and I seemed to avoid the problem by changing bags, but it recently did it again. It appears to be an unsolved bug still extant in the Fire rendering it unreliable.

In addition, the Fire OS Android fork no longer seems to work with Ebird checklists. I get in an infinite loop asking me about toggling tracking.
The other options in tablets are the inexpensive Samsung A7 lite or the precious Ipad mini. Both appear to support tracking with GPS reading. In either case, without a cellular plan, I would be restricted to WiFi connection to explore Ebird hotspots, but I could use my cell phone for that.

So try out the Samsung, or bite the bullet and shell out for the Apple? Can anyone offer experience and/or advise?

Made me laugh. Reduce kit by taking out one book which works everywhere and doesn't require recharging at inconvenient moments, and replacing it with a tablet that seems to always have a flat battery or whose replacement will need a second mobile plan. Genius. Not.
But if you insist on throwing good money after bad, I'd go for the Samsung and stay well clear of the expensive Apple 'ecosystem'. And the goggle world.
Maybe look into Lenovo tablets as well.

Reduce kit by taking out one book which works everywhere and doesn't require recharging at inconvenient moments,
Develop huge muscles and spend vast amounts on clothing to deal with the inevitable tears which develop when hulking (e.g.) Birds of Peru around...

More seriously, the point is you can carry very many guides around on the same electronic device. So in Cuba I had guides to the birds (of Cuba but also the Neotropics, North America, central America, and guides to groups like raptors) as well as guides to butterflies, frogs and reptiles. Simply impossible with paper unless using a baggage train.

I started with a tablet but now use smart phones. If you don't like the small screens suggest going for one of the larger "phablet" models. See, e.g.

I personally use smaller ones which can be used +/- one-handed. I currently take 2: a Samsung galaxy A14 and a Moto G7 power. (I actually prefer the latter). In both cases chosen for large battery capacity. I also take an external battery in case there is no electricity. I put copies of all material on both phones.

When in country I usually buy a local SIM or if not possible/expensive just use WiFi. I use ebird/merlin offline until a connection becomes available---in which case the tedious business of list submission takes up my evening

But if you insist on throwing good money after bad, I'd go for the Samsung and stay well clear of the expensive Apple 'ecosystem'.
I learned recently that you are expected to throw away your Samsung device after five years when the security updates stop. My 10 year old iPhone still receives security updates, so over the lifetime, cost might be different than you think.
Niels

Weird. In a hobby that applauds 3K optics, you bitch about a $150 tablet (not aimed at you, Bubbs;-). The Apple costs $550. Does that make you feel better?
Okay, the consumable aspects are irritating (though dedicated to E-bird and guide, security is not an issue.) The Sibley guide is heavier than an 8x32, so yeah, it is significant. And not only is the art fully reproduced, you get audio of the bird calls, and the ability to call up similar species and compare images side by side. And of course there is Merlin. These things are available on a smart phone, but I'd prefer a reliable tablet for the visuals.

I guess you could buy a small (in size) large (in capacity) power bank and when your fire tablet goes winky-wonky plug it in to that.
I know that doesn’t fix your problem but seems like a reasonable work around and cheaper than buying an iPad mini.

I learned recently that you are expected to throw away your Samsung device after five years when the security updates stop. My 10 year old iPhone still receives security updates, so over the lifetime, cost might be different than you think.
Niels
When you measure tco in monetary terms only, you are possibly correct. However, Samsung offers four OS upgrades and five years security patches for their tabs. Apple's last IOS 12 update was in 2023 and further ones are not expected. The currently updateable IOSs are 15,16 and 17. What should also be included in such plans is the freedom of choice. Apple has become notorious for locking people in their ecosystem, something that 20 or 30 years ago was unique to Windows, and freedom from which used to set Apple users apart.

Well less of a dilemma now...the Samsung is getting blown out at $99 around here (USA). No doubt in anticipation of end of support, but with my limited intended use, should probably work till the battery dies. So a no-brainer and I've already started using it. The GPS even allows me to navigate, so long as I remember to set up the route while I'm still in Wi-Fi range.

I have a Chuwi tablet which was cheap and is reasonable for the price but not up to Apple standards - whatever you think of their computers/phones their tablets do seem to be the best. I prefer a book but if its an avifauna I know well, and I don't need to use it much, I do find a fairly large screened phone does work well. I use the tablet for backing up photos back at the hotel rather than in the field.

I use osmand in my phone (other apps work similarly): don't need WiFi to set a route as the app does routing based on the osm data it has/you've previously downloaded---so can do anywhere.
I'm not entirely sure of the limits of Google maps - I cleared the cache after transferring from my Fire, so that might have affected things. But thanks for the heads-up.
I was tickled my Sibley ported for free, though at $20 it would still be a bargain.

I use osmand in my phone (other apps work similarly): don't need WiFi to set a route as the app does routing based on the osm data it has/you've previously downloaded---so can do anywhere.
I am considering a switch of map app, but notice that OsmAnd states something about in app purchases. What is that about?

On my current app, I see rotating map screen whenever I slow down while driving, absolutely nuts! I would hope a different provider would not do that?

thanks
Niels

There are several different apps which are roughly equivalent. However, some can't do shortest path routing.

(See e.g.
)

Osmand has a free and a paid for version. The only difference is the amount of installed maps---unlimited (subject to device memory) in the paid for version. If you don't need routing try oruxmaps.

About orientation. In osmand you can choose orientation from about 3 options. I keep with N fixed upwards. Some maps (google maps / maps iirc) are actually quite dangerous if you try to use them whilst driving due to their random changes in orientation. Avoid

Thanks both, I will wait a couple of days more (until I get home) and then download and test a couple of alternatives to what I currently have.
Niels

Osmand is brilliant for walking. It autoroutes along footpaths and trails, which is really excellent.
I wouldn't use it for driving though. It has no live traffic, unless someone has devised something very clever to pull in live data.
It could literally cost you hours routing you straight into a tailback.

Osmand is brilliant for walking. It autoroutes along footpaths and trails, which is really excellent.
I wouldn't use it for driving though. It has no live traffic, unless someone has devised something very clever to pull in live data.
It could literally cost you hours routing you straight into a tailback.
Most of the places I go this isn't a problem. Perhaps it would be in e.g. the us. For the western hemisphere many recommend waze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back