• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My taxonomic predictions (1 Viewer)

What do you think about this generic classification of Emberizidae?

Hylospina, Melophus, Granativora, Onychospina, Miliaria, Koslowiza, Cia, Emberiza, Fringillaria, Cosmospina, Latoucheornis, Cristemberiza, Schoeniclus, Ocyris

Yes, similar to what I have though I keep the core Emberiza group as subgenera. Also (i) I thought Onychospiza was invalid; (ii) not sure about Koslowiza - IMO uninformative and too similar to Kozlowia Bianchi, 1907...

I've thought up a few names for some of the taxa in my second list - but I cannot come up with anything remotely elegant for Sandhill Crane. Please work some magic for Antigone canadensis!

Yes, similar to what I have though I keep the core Emberiza group as subgenera. Also (i) I thought Onychospiza was invalid; (ii) not sure about Koslowiza - IMO uninformative and too similar to Kozlowia Bianchi, 1907...
My Koslowiza is very cool 😮 The bird has no notable features. Perhaps Compsospina

Biscotte, it's Onychospina, with a N, not a Z

My Koslowiza is very cool 😮 The bird has no notable features. Perhaps Compsospina

Biscotte, it's Onychospina, with a N, not a Z

Compsospina is great - it is a very attractive species after all. And Plesiogeranus, thanks! I really appreciate having names attached to these taxa, even if they are just temporary place holders.

re Onychospina, the z was a mistake, we are talking about the same name. Some sources (e.g. Koblik (2007) and TiF) have Spina as the correct name for fucata... I don't know what is correct, bunting nomenclature is messy.

Informal names I've added to my list (type is simply the first named species):

Genus Xerotinamus (type: cinnamomeus) for 'Crypturellus' occidentalis, cinnamomeus & transfasciatus

(Sub)genus Petroperdix for Pternistis swierstrai

(Sub)genus Monticolinus (type: erckelii) for Pternistis camerunensis, nobilis, atrifrons, castaneicollis, ochropectus & erckelii

Genus Archaeocentor (type: ateralbus) for 'Centropus' milo, ateralbus, chalybeus & menbeki

Genus Ruficentropus for 'Centropus' unirufus

(Sub)genus Lankacentor for Centropus chlororhynchos

(Sub)genus Sundacentor (type: melanops) for Centropus rectunguis, steerii & melanops

Genus Nubotis for 'Neotis' nuba

Subgenus Toco for Ramphastos toco

Subgenus Pseudocerchneis for Falco sparverius

Genus Lombokornis for 'Sugomel'/'Lichmera' lombokia

(Sub)genus Xenoprionops for Prionops alberti

(Sub)genus Auricichla for Geokichla princei, camaronensis, gurneyi, crossleyi, oberlaenderi & piaggiae

I'm a novice at this - please be kind :)

Last edited:
Informal names I've added to my list (type is simply the first named species):

Genus Xerotinamus (type: cinnamomeus) for 'Crypturellus' occidentalis, cinnamomeus & transfasciatus

(Sub)genus Monticolinus (type: erckelii) for Pternistis camerunensis, nobilis, atrifrons, castaneicollis, ochropectus & erckelii

Genus Archaeocentor (type: ateralbus) for 'Centropus' milo, ateralbus, chalybeus & menbeki

(Sub)genus Sundacentor (type: melanops) for Centropus rectunguis, steerii & melanops

Genus Lombokornis for 'Sugomel'/'Lichmera' lombokia

(Sub)genus Xenoprionops for Prionops alberti

(Sub)genus Auricichla for Geokichla princei, camaronensis, gurneyi, crossleyi, oberlaenderi & piaggiae

I'm a novice at this - please be kind :)
Not bad at all

Are you more news about Prionops ?

I was thinking about Pseudolichmera

Not bad at all

Are you more news about Prionops ?

I was thinking about Pseudolichmera
Thanks

I've got Prionops as four subgenera: Knestrometopon, Eressornis, Sigmodus & Prionops but alberti doesn't comfortably fit with any of the others. It's a very unique-looking bird and so obscure - I don't even think there is a photograph of a living individual.

Pseudolichmera makes good sense but there are going to be a lot of Pseudos!

An obvious one, perhaps: Genus Melaceros for 'Anthracoceros' malayanus

Thanks

I've got Prionops as four subgenera: Knestrometopon, Eressornis, Sigmodus & Prionops but alberti doesn't comfortably fit with any of the others. It's a very unique-looking bird and so obscure - I don't even think there is a photograph of a living individual.

Pseudolichmera makes good sense but there are going to be a lot of Pseudos!
I will send you my classification of passerine genera and you will tell me what should be added
An obvious one, perhaps: Genus Melaceros for 'Anthracoceros' malayanus
Oui

Xerocrypturus to follow the same logic as Crypturornis, Microcrypturus, Orthocrypturus

Yep

So ...lol, Oreocolinus

Ok. Are you sure that no names are available for them ?

Many "Neotis" need a genus

Yep

I thought Poecilierax to replace the junior homonym Poecilornis

Ok. Are you sure that no names are available for them ?

Many "Neotis" need a genus

Xerocrypturus - yes, fair enough, I like the symmetry.

No, I'm not sure (I can't ever be sure!). But there are plenty of synonyms for the members of the core Centropus group (e.g. Pyrrhocentor, Polophilus, Nesocentor, Corydonyx, Centrococcyx, Grillia, Megacentropus, Anacentropus) but I've not found any for the outliers.

Yes, I've been thinking about Neotis and some others...

Genus Somaliotis for "Neotis" heuglinii
(Sub)genus Epilachon for "Neotis"/Ardeotis denhami
(Sub)genus Petrocarbo for Leucocarbo magellanicus
(Sub)genus Zonifalco for Falco/Cerchneis zoniventris
(Sub)genus Pseudopomarea for “Pomarea” fluxa, nukuhivae, iphis, whitneyi, mira & mendozae (type: mendozae; sp pomarea was named earlier but may be closer to 'true' Pomarea (nigra))
(Sub)genus Calodacnis for Dacnis venusta
Genus Novidacnis for Dacnis berlepschi
Subgenus Sporopica (type: lineola) for Sporophila lineola & bouvronides
Subgenus Pseudoryzoborus (type: crassirostris) for Sporophila nuttingi, maximiliani, crassirostris & atrirostris
(Sub)genus Duosaltator for Saltator orenocensis
(Sub)genus Viridisaltator (type: albicollis) for Saltator similis, albicollis, striatipectus, coerulescens, grandis & olivascens
Genus Parasheppardia (type: montana) for "Sheppardia" aurantiithorax, lowei & montana
(Sub)genus Chrysostachyris for Cyanoderma chrysaea

• Coracias cyanogaster
Coraciura
(Coraciidae; syn. Coracias † Blue-bellied Roller C. cyanogaster) Genus Coracias Linnaeus, 1758, roller; Gr. ουρα oura tail; "86. CORACIURA, Bp. — 202. cyanogastra, Cuv. — 203. caudata, L. (angolensis, Br. - natalensis, Licht.) — 204. abyssinica, Gm. (senegalensis, Gm.)" (Bonaparte 1854); "Coraciura Bonaparte, 1854, Conspectus Volucrum Anisodactylorum, p. 7. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 136 (Appendix)), Coracias cyanogastra, i.e. cyanogaster Cuvier, 1816." (JAJ 2021)

Hmmm... the type of Stachyridopsis used to be given as Cyanoderma pyrrhops on the Key to Scientific Names and still is in the Richmond Index. Have you seen the OD?

If Stachyridopsis applies to chrysaea then it is the group consisting of rufifrons, ambigua, ruficeps & pyrrhops that needs a new name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back