• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird identification Thailand (1 Viewer)

trevor432990

Thailand
Hello friends. Revisiting my birdwatching hobby now that I am retired and was wondering if someone can help identify these birds which were picking berries off the tree opposite my house the other day?

Mystery 7.jpgMystery 3.jpgMystery 8.jpg

Can you also explain how he can change the colour of his eyes from grey to brown in 2 seconds?

Well..I have a feeling that what you have posted is a Malabar Starling (Sturnia blythii). This is very similar to the Chestnut- tailed , but has a white head...

Well..I have a feeling that what you have posted is a Malabar Starling (Sturnia blythii). This is very similar to the Chestnut- tailed , but has a white head...
Hmmm ... Maybe but looking at photos of the Malabar they seem to have browner breast feathers than my bird unless the female is paler?

I have not SEEN a Malabar Starling though I was born and brought up in that province!
I happened to see the reference to this subspecies while reading up on S.malabarica!

Hi Trevor and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm going to move your thread to the ID forum where it should attract a wider audience of people that could help you with your query. I can't find any pictures in the Gallery for the Malabar Starling so it would be great to have this confirmed.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I have not SEEN a Malabar Starling though I was born and brought up in that province!
I happened to see the reference to this subspecies while reading up on S.malabarica!
Ebird shows this is a species from the west of India. So unlikely in Thailand unless there's some introduced population they're not reporting.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back