• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird (2 Viewers)

LisaBracke

Belgium
Hello everyone

I joined this forum because I'm searching for the identification of the bird you hear in the video. I do recognize the shrill calls of the Tits, but I'm looking for the other bird's rather ominous calling. I zoomed in on the bird I THINK was calling, but I'm not really sure. I live in Belgium but I've never ever heard this call. Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• 20240330_094612_1_1_1_1.mp4
    13.1 MB
  • 20240330_094612_2.mp4
    15.4 MB
Last edited:
Hello Lisa,

welcome to Birdforum!

some Corvids and Jays can make weird calls, similar to your recording. There are other threads here on BF about this, for example here Help please

But although its hard to be sure of the true shape and the colouration of the bird (no offence, just a reason/excuse why I struggle to ID your bird), its upright posture and the large rounded head looks good for a Parrot, as seems the way it sticks its head out with a streched neck when calling (and can I just make out the right bill-shape and a "tucked on", slender, long tail?)

The usual species is a Ring necked Parakeet, which breeds now in many cities in Europe, including Belgium. But this species regular has a harsher, shriller quality to their calls. But I am far from an expert and their calls are so variable.

Welcome to Birdforum again!

Hello Lisa,

welcome to Birdforum!

some Corvids and Jays can make weird calls, similar to your recording. There are other threads here on BF about this, for example here Help please

But although its hard to be sure of the true shape and the colouration of the bird (no offence, just a reason/excuse why I struggle to ID your bird), its upright posture and the large rounded head looks good for a Parrot, as seems the way it sticks its head out with a streched neck when calling (and can I just make out the right bill-shape and a "tucked on", slender, long tail?)

The usual species is a Ring necked Parakeet, which breeds now in many cities in Europe, including Belgium. But this species regular has a harsher, shriller quality to their calls. But I am far from an expert and their calls are so variable.

I don't know what this is but I'm fairly sure it's neither parrot/parakeet nor corvid. Sound-wise perhaps the closest would be if you slowed down a song thrush's song---it also has that repetitive quality. However, I get the impression this is natural speed so no idea

As Alexander has intimated Lisa, it may be a parakeet?
I recently had an Alexandrine Parakeet flying over calling and that wasn’t at all shrill like Ring-necked parakeet, surprisingly soft compared to the latter, especially as it was almost twice the size, so anything’s possible, fwiw it doesn’t
sound like a thrush to my ear.

Cheers

Hello again,

yes thanks The Fern. and Ken!
And the weird and/or imitating Blackbirds came into my mind again.

The reason, why I excluded a Thrush was the appearant size of the bird, its shape and posture. But yes, its hard to be sure. What was your impression of the bird, Lisa?

Hello Lisa,

welcome to Birdforum!

Hi Alexander

Thank you so much for your reply!

I think the theory that it's a non-native bird is a valid one. I couldn't make out what the colours or shape of the bird was because I was too far away, but thank you for your attempt :D.

I like a good mystery. Turns out I really like birdwatching as well. I'll check out your suggestions on the Jay and Corvid.

I don't know what this is but I'm fairly sure it's neither parrot/parakeet nor corvid. Sound-wise perhaps the closest would be if you slowed down a song thrush's song---it also has that repetitive quality. However, I get the impression this is natural speed so no idea
Hello!

Yes, indeed, I did not tamper with the speed of the clip, this is how I heard it.

Thank you for your reply!

Hello again,

yes thanks The Fern. and Ken!
And the weird and/or imitating Blackbirds came into my mind again.

The reason, why I excluded a Thrush was the appearant size of the bird, its shape and posture. But yes, its hard to be sure. What was your impression of the bird, Lisa?
Hello!

Well, I feel like it was roughly the size of a pigeon, so fairly large I would say. Again, I was standing a long way away, but I think that estimation is pretty accurate.

From that distance I couldn't really make out any colours, but it was a rather muted bird. No flashy colours like reds or bright greens like you would expect from an escaped parrot or parakeet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back