• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two birds in North Central Texas (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

I took photos of two birds yesterday that I'm just not sure of what they are. One appears to be either a Gnatcatcher or a Flycatcher of some sort and the other is a water fowl that was diving down to feed off bottom of the shallow water close to shoreline in a lake. Photo was taken at great distance and is cropped and not as sharp as I would have liked. Thought it was a Grebe of some sort initially, but something about bird tells me it's not. Horned Grebe maybe on second bird?

Attachments

• IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5385.JPG
    IMG_5385.JPG
    603.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Horned Grebe for sure on #2. The first one is a warbler. While it's a bit confusing, I think this is most likely a female Pine (obvious wing bars, no streaks on flanks/chest, white eye-arcs and partial "spectacles").

Horned Grebe for sure on #2. The first one is a warbler. While it's a bit confusing, I think this is most likely a female Pine (obvious wing bars, no streaks on flanks/chest, white eye-arcs and partial "spectacles").
I see all the same features that you do on the Warbler that are characteristic of a Pine Warbler, and do get Pine Warblers here most winters, but they've all had a yellow hue to them like this one, which bird I posted does not have. Have never seen one this drab. Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• Pine Warbler (11).JPG
    Pine Warbler (11).JPG
    660.8 KB · Views: 4
Agreed with birdmeister, if you have any more photos of the Warbler it would be great to see them.
That was only photo I got of the Warbler. The lack of any yellow threw me off. I get Pine Warblers here most winters and they've all been pretty yellow bellied and olive above.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back