• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia - Black Kite/Yellow Billed Kite (1 Viewer)

Jacob12

Namibia
Hi everyone,

I need some help with this bird that I photographed in MARCH of this year at Waterberg in Namibia. It's clearly a Black Kite, but in Southern Africa this sp. is split into Yellow Billed and Black (eBird still treats as subspecies).

The black bill tip means that it's either a Black Kite (Black) or juv Yellow Billed. I lean toward Black Kite (Black) due to what I perceive to be a squared tail. However, I don't have a lot of experience with this species and would appreciate input since Black Kite (Black) seems to actually be somewhat uncommon down here. If I had a clear shot of the eye, that would sort this out, but I don't think any of the photos definitively capture a dark/yellow eye?

Apparently, there is a difference in the sixth finger as well, but I don't really know how to interpret that.

I've attached a lot of photos at various angles, but they are all the same individual

Attachments

• DSC_0187.JPG
    DSC_0187.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0193.JPG
    DSC_0193.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0222.JPG
    DSC_0222.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0229.JPG
    DSC_0229.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 52
I lean toward Black Kite (Black) due to what I perceive to be a squared tail.
I don't follow what your logic is there, I'm afraid.
Tail-shape is normal for a young black (yellow-billed or whatever) kite - possibly also an actively-moulting bird.

Definitely Yellow-billed Kite : 5 long "fingers" (6 in Black Kite) and already too much yellow on beak for Black Kite.
Is this really an accepted thing?

Attached:

Black-eared Kite from Japan - six 'long-ish' fingers

Yellow-billed (as could be) Kite from Kwara in Botswana - I think six very clear long fingers on this bird

200221003 Shiga.JPG180103251 Kwara A.jpg

Attached:

Yellow-billed (as could be) Kite from Kwara in Botswana - I think six very clear long fingers on this bird
Reality is:
5 fingers: Yellow-billed
6 fingers: Black or Yellow-billed

Attached:

View attachment 1479622View attachment 1479623
Yes, it works for, at least, 99,99% of cases (exceptions always exist) as I've notice in thousands of birds seen in Africa. Black-(eared) Kite has 6 long fingers, so your bird is totally normal. The perched Yellow-billed Kite you are showing us has two problems. We don't see the tip of te 6th feather, so difficult to tell if it is long or short ; I'm not sure if sun-bathing perched bird would show the exact same shape as a flying bird...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back