• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National moth night (UK) (2 Viewers)

Surreybirder said:
I really enjoyed your photos, Brian!
Ken
Same here! Quality stuff.

I broke my only bulb (dropped it!) last week and was without for NMN. Bah! New bulbs arriving tomorrow hopefully. Have also decided to move up from my Skinner trap to a Robinson given the generally low level of catches I get - I wonder if in part it's a retention problem.

And just because I'm posting, here's a new moth to me, from the beginning of the month, Small Emerald:

Attachments

• Small-Emerald;SW19;.jpg
    Small-Emerald;SW19;.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 73
Well it has been confimed that there are no known records of Catoptria falsella from Ireland.

So NMN has turned up what appears to be another Irish First! and not a mossy wall in sight, but then my farmyard trap came up with a few 'water' China-marks etc) species that my garden trap, beside the water didn't.

Attachments

• DSCN3629#001.jpg
    DSCN3629#001.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 74
Congratulations again Angus.

I'm rather glad that moth trapping isn't on the schedule for the 2012 Olympics. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ireland would walk away with the Gold Medal. :loveme: <-- Angus. 2012 Olympic Champion.

Harry.

(Inter)National Moth Night 2005 - Hong Kong results

brianhstone said:
Another remarkable find for Angus! :clap:

Indeed, congratulations in order on a first for Ireland.

Here in Hong Kong we also had a good night's mothing - just four hours with three 125W mv's produced (at least) 261 species (pdf file attached). a second and two third records for Hong Kong, plus some other good stuff and six HK endemics. Two pix attached - Sigilliclystis kendricki Galsworthy, 1999 (a male, with the androconal scent patch on the f/w very clear - this is an endemic to HK) and Warreniplema fumicosta - an epiplemine uraniid, with a resting posture quite unlike anything I ever saw in the UK.

(for the intrepid or adventurous - more photos at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HKmoths)

cheers,

Roger.

Attachments

• 20050709-KFBG-KYS+MB(NMN).pdf
    200.7 KB · Views: 443
  • 20050709-KFBG-KYS_GEO_S_kendricki_(web).jpg
    20050709-KFBG-KYS_GEO_S_kendricki_(web).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 75
  • 20050709-KFBG-KYS_URA_W_fumicosta_(web).jpg
    20050709-KFBG-KYS_URA_W_fumicosta_(web).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back