• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Near Birds Hill Park, Manitoba. (1 Viewer)

Wyandotte

For the first time I and my son saw what I believe to be a Northern Shrike sitting in our apple tree in front of our living room window.

I have heard that Loggerhead Shrikes are few and far between these days so I don't know if that includes the Northern Shrike or not.

At Birds Hill Park you will only see Northern Shrikes in migration,and some
stay throughout the winter.Just seen one the other day in Winnipeg.
Loggerhead Shrikes are rare in Manitoba but nest just north of Winnipeg.

Well, I guess that the Northern Shrike who visited us decided to not migrate just yet! I didn't think any of them migrated, only the loggerhead variety.

Several years ago, my neighbour says he saw a real loggerhead shrike on his property in the summer. But seeing as they are so rare, maybe he was wrong. He and we are only a mile or so from Birds Hill Park.

The northern shrike you saw the other day in Wpg - is this the first time you've seen one or are they pretty common?

We had a Northern Shrike in our tree earlier this week. Only saw it the once.
We had one come by a few times in the past but they don't seem to stick around our place.
A friend of mine had a Logger Head Shrike on his property near Birds Hill a few years back, it seemed to be resident at the time.

Northern Shrilkes seem to breed only in the far north therefore here in Winnipeg you will only see them in migration in spring and fall.If you are
seeing a shrike in summer it is most likely a Loggerhead,you can tell them
apart by there bill and the black mask along there face.See a lot of
Northern Shrikes because I'm out birding alot,Just lately seen one hang
around for two weeks in one of my regular birding spots.Even watched as
he tried to catch a grackle for supper.Only seen a Loggerhead Shrike once
where they are supposedly breeding off Pipeline rd.

Borealowl, are you "Darrell" who took all those photos on that link at the bottom of your post?

Re my northern shrike. Are you saying they are in the process of migrating? I guess I don't know much about birds except that I like to look at them and try to identify them.

I never saw any of my favourite bird this past summer, the rose breasted grosbeak. :-C

Last edited:
Yes that me,do a lot of birding near my house ,especially in the
St Boniface Industrial Park,seems to be something exciting every
time I go there.Yes,northern Shrikes are migrating right know or have
finished.Do not think I say a Rose-breasted Grosbeak this year,
beautiful birds and they like to come to feeders.Always see them at
my brothers place at Grand beach.

Last edited:
Has anyone here seen the large groups of Waxwings on their fruit trees yet? They showed up in our yard early this year (it's usually January) and stripped our Siberian apple trees. Naughty kids.

Sorry I have nothing more exciting to report.

Has anyone here seen the large groups of Waxwings on their fruit trees yet? They showed up in our yard early this year (it's usually January) and stripped our Siberian apple trees. Naughty kids.

Sorry I have nothing more exciting to report.

Lucky you, there has been lots of reports of waxwings even a cedar in the city,I myself have not seen any:-C.They are hard to pinpoint because
as soon they finish feeding on one tree there on to the next!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back