• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice: 70-300 VR or 80-400 VR lens (1 Viewer)

hbreder

I am looking to buy another lens for my Nikon D50, to add to my 18-200 VR lens. I'd like to take it on trips for bird shoots, but can't deal with packing a tripod. I need the VR feature for handheld shots, particularly for flying birds. Both lenses are getting good reviews. I would prefer the 70-300 lens for ease of use, price and weight (23 oz) but am not sure whether it's any good for bird photos. The 80-400 weighs 5 lbs, is somewhat slower and costs almost 3 times as much, but I am wondering whether in the long run I wouldn't be happier with it. 5 lbs though is a lot of weight! The question is, does the 70-300 lens give me a lot more tele power than my 18-200 lens or is just so so?

hbreder said:
I am looking to buy another lens for my Nikon D50, to add to my 18-200 VR lens. I'd like to take it on trips for bird shoots, but can't deal with packing a tripod. I need the VR feature for handheld shots, particularly for flying birds. Both lenses are getting good reviews. I would prefer the 70-300 lens for ease of use, price and weight (23 oz) but am not sure whether it's any good for bird photos. The 80-400 weighs 5 lbs, is somewhat slower and costs almost 3 times as much, but I am wondering whether in the long run I wouldn't be happier with it. 5 lbs though is a lot of weight! The question is, does the 70-300 lens give me a lot more tele power than my 18-200 lens or is just so so?

I have the 70-300 VR and like it a great deal, except... I wish I had the 80-400 for the extra magnification power and what I gather is it's compatibility with the TC-14 and TC-201. Alas, I had to settle for the 300 because I can't afford the 400. The 300 is very light though. I just have to take more time to be stealthy and patient. Hope that helps a little.

hbreder said:

Hi,
300mm is still a bit on the short side for bird photography. Many people say, & i agree that the longer the better. 400mm is probably the minimum focal length i would consider for birds. Have you thought about the other alternatives? What about a Sigma 80-400 os, (OS= Optical stabilisation.) which is cheaper than the Nikon equivalent, has faster AF due to the inbuilt focusing motor, & can accept a modified Nikon TC-14e teleconverter. I have tried this combo on my D2x & the OS & Af still work. (Focusing speed is slightly slower when using the TC, but is still acceptable.)
There is also the Tamron 200-500. This does not have any form of stabilisation, but is light enough to handhold & capable of stunning results if you keep the shutter speed up.
The only other piece of advice i can give is to get a tripod or at least a monopod. You will find you will get far more keepers this way.
Hope this helps.
regards Rob.

Nikon 70-300 VR

I have this lens and cannot fault it for the price, it gives some stunning shots.
I also use it with the Kenko Pro 300 1.4 Teleconveter, and its fully compatible.
My wife has one of these lenses as well, & also the 80-400 VR which is considrably heavier, she tends to use the 70-300 VR more than the 80-400.

You can always plump for an older Nikon 300 IF-ED lens and a sigma 1.4x converter which is an excellent combination and should be picked up on eBay for under $600 or go for a 300 AF-S and a TC14 which again will give you 420mm at 5.6 if your not in need of a zoom. I have owned both combos and can't fault them.
Steve

Nikon 80-400 VR vs 70-300 VR lens

Thanks for all your comments - extremely helpful. I think I have come down to the Nikon 80-400 VR or the Sigma 80-400 OS lens. Both are out of stock, where I checked; so that will give me some more time. If I get the 70-300 lens I think I will always have some regret that I didn't go for the larger lens.

hbreder said:
Thanks for all your comments - extremely helpful. I think I have come down to the Nikon 80-400 VR or the Sigma 80-400 OS lens. Both are out of stock, where I checked; so that will give me some more time. If I get the 70-300 lens I think I will always have some regret that I didn't go for the larger lens.

The Nikon 80-400VR weight is 2.9 lbs, not 5. I just put mine on the postal scale to verify it. I can't speak for the sigma but the Nikon does a very decent job.

I have a Sigma 150mm Macro and it is a very good lenes but I don't know anything about their 80-400 from experience.

The VR helps a lot if you like to hand hold. The Nikon 80-400VR is a very nice lens. The Sigma has a faster focus speed (internal motor) and if your doing flight shots you may want to consider that. The Nikon uses the screw focus drive in the camera.

I use the 80-400 on a D200 which I have heard has a faster focus motor than the D50 or D70. I do not know that from experience though.

Be sure to buy from a dealer that will return the lenes if it does not perform to your satisfaction.

Last edited:
I use the 70-300 VR and it works very well. I often have to crop though and on my 10MP D80, I can still get a decent 8x10- not sure if you have that leeway with 6MP.

The VR wonderful, but it doesn't do much for birds in flight.

Here is a small gallery of photos taken with that lens:

300,000 Snow Geese

I got the weight for the Nikon 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocus VR Zoom Nikkor Lens from the Amazon page: Product Dimensions: 6.7 x 6.7 x 6.7 inches ; 5 pounds. But checking on the Nikon website the weight is listed as 47 oz, i.e. 2.94 lbs. This makes my decision much easier (I picked up a 5 lbs bag of potatoes at the supermarket today - it was really heavy when holding it aloft with one hand!) I am puzzled about the price: Amazon lists it at $1,456.52 whereas on ExpressCamera it's $999. I wonder what's the catch? The Sigma 80-400 OS weighs 3.6 lbs. So, if I can get the Nikon for $999, that's going to be my choice.

P.S. I liked the snow geese photos! They may be a little easier to approach (? -perhaps similar to the Canada geese) than the migratory birds on the Connecticut River - tried to get a shot of ring-necked ducks on the river and failed utterly. They were pretty close in a cove but when I slowly, very slowly walked up to where they were in range of my camera (with admittedly only a 18-200 VR lens), they had all paddled out of reach. So, I'd like to get a lens that will assure my success.

True, the snow geese didn't seem to mind my presence at all. But if you really want a reach, consider a Fieldscope 82 which gives you 1500mm at f/13. Of course a tripod is mandatory but the camera and lens together only weigh 5-1/4 pounds.

Yes, but I'd like the best of both worlds: sharp in-focus pictures and the spontaneity and freedom of handheld shooting.

Amazon lists it at $1 said:
Some of the low price lenes are called gray market. This means that there is no USA warranty. I have heard that these product must be sent to Japan for repair, even non-warranty repair.

You might also try B&H photo. They list the with Nikon USA warranty for $1429. The Sigma is $999. I have had good experience with B&H.

Nikkor Lenses

I have a 80-400 and I think it is a very good lens. I use it in my 200, my Kodak SLR/n and my F5 ( I still use film and I like the F5 very much) and it works without problem in all this cameras. As you know in the D200 it will be like a 120-600mm in the F5 or the Kodak ( also in your camera). Your 18-200 would be like a 27-300 and the 70-300 like a 105-450. I think there is a big diference: an increase of 75%in focal length from 450 to 600mm. The 70-300 has the advantage (for less powerfull cameras) of having the motor in the camera and the 80-400 is also around 55% heavier (2.9 lb and not 5 lb). Both lens are not very fast (4.5-5.6).The 80-400 can be used in film camears and the 70-300 no.
The VR is designed to compensate the movement of your hands, not of your target: that is why mhmyers said it does not work so well for birds in flight: for that you need a faster lens or higher ISO.
Paulo Bruno Lorena

I have the 70-300 VR and like it a great deal, except... I wish I had the 80-400 for the extra magnification power and what I gather is it's compatibility with the TC-14 and TC-201. Alas, I had to settle for the 300 because I can't afford the 400. The 300 is very light though. I just have to take more time to be stealthy and patient. Hope that helps a little.

OK, so I just bought the 80-400VR. Will probably sell the 70-300VR because I can't afford to keep both. I'll post my impressions in difference...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back