• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying nest. (1 Viewer)

geoshar18

Hello everyone.
I am a new member of your forum as of today, and still attempting to find my way around your site.
It looks like a wonderful source of information.. so here comes my question.

From our deck we can see this most unusual nest.I am pretty sure it isn't a squirrel nest, because our tress are full of them.
The nest is approx 18 inches in diameter,made of straw and/or grass, and the entrance hole is also quite large (6in.-8 in.)
I wasn't able to get any closer..I was hanging to a tree branch on a cliff as it was to get this one! lol
Does anyone have any ideas??

(I THINK I have attached a photo....maybe not.)

Attachments

• whoe lives here apr12.jpg
    whoe lives here apr12.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 260
Hi geoshar18,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Until I read through your post, I was going to suggest this might be a squirrel's drey, but it seems you know them well!

I'm not an authority on Canadian birds, so I'm afraid I cannot help you any more than I already haven't(!)- but I am sure that there will be some one here who will.

We have a wide range of people with different expertise, from the novice to what I would call the professional. (I'm much closer to novice!!!)

You've probably also noticed that we have quite a few Canadian members, so with luck, they will be able to use their "local" knowledge - and I hope you get your answer soon.

In the meantime, why not visit the "Say Hello" forum, and introduce yoursely "formally" to everyone.

Have a good look round as well, and I hope you will feel able to contribute to some of the threads that are on the go.

Most of all... Have Fun!

Hope to catch you again

Cheers...

Last edited:
Welcome To Birdfourum geoshar18

On behalf of Admin and the moderators, it’s good to have you on board.
Feel free to contribute photos and comments, ask questions and so on. There is plenty here to keep you occupied.

Theres plenty of information here and almost always someone who can answer your bird or photography related queries, have a look around and enjoy.

I am going to have to leave your nest question to someone else though as I have no idea :)

All the best

Richard (Moderator)

Thank you for your reply and warm welcome!
I am of the feeling this indeed may be a mammal's nest, I have just no idea what kind.
It is very high in the tree, and sadly when the leaves come out it will be totally hidden from view.We may never know the architect.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back