• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with identification (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Hello,

I am a novice birder and an avid photographer. This often results in my getting decent photos of birds, but struggling to identify them. I would really appreciate your help with identifying the birds in the attached photos:

Bird-1: Taken in Los Angeles last week
Bird 2: Taken in Michigan in July
Bird 3: Taken in Los Angeles last week
Bird 4: Taken in the Badlands (ND) last summer

Thank you very much for you help.

Attachments

• Bird-1.jpg
    Bird-1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Bird-2.jpg
    Bird-2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Bird-3.jpg
    Bird-3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Bird-4.jpg
    Bird-4.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 197
Hi sirijay and welcome on behalf of the Staff and Moderators

We've moved your thread to the ID forum, as you're likely to get quicker help there.

D

HI

Welcome to Birdforum.

It might be worthwhile putting these in the ID threads. The only one I can help you with is No 3 which are Domestic [farmyard] Ducks. No4 looks like some type of Grouse.

#1 is a Bushtit, #3, as Marmot said, are domestic mallards, #4 looks like a female Sharptailed Grouse. #2 looks like a flycatcher, maybe an Eastern Phoebe, but I'm not well enough up on eastern flycatchers for that to be more than a guess, given the picture.

Will

Thanks everyone. I am learning how to better use this forum every time I get on.

I did get the clear message that location (country/state/time of year) would be very helpful in the future.

Any additional thoughts on Prattw's ID of Bird-4 as a female Sharptailed Grouse? This may be inappropriate, but I trying to get further confirmation and any hints on what to look for in this particular photo. Thanks.

Any additional thoughts on Prattw's ID of Bird-4 as a female Sharptailed Grouse? This may be inappropriate, but I trying to get further confirmation and any hints on what to look for in this particular photo. Thanks.

Sirijay,

I also think this if a female Sharptailed Grouse. The only other real possibility would be a female Greater Prairie-Chicken, but I'm pretty sure it's a Grouse.

My two cents - to add generate some confusion on #4!!!

Shouldn't a Sharp-tailed Grouse have a crested head? The eye marks don't look right to me either; but I can't come up with any alternative...

According to Sibley's Sharp-tailed Grouse & Greater Prairie-Chicken will & do hybridise; so could be a cross I guess...

My two cents - to add generate some confusion on #4!!!

Shouldn't a Sharp-tailed Grouse have a crested head? The eye marks don't look right to me either; but I can't come up with any alternative...

According to Sibley's Sharp-tailed Grouse & Greater Prairie-Chicken will & do hybridise; so could be a cross I guess...

Actually the Sharptail's crest is usually only erected when the bird is alarmed or curious. In a resting bird like that one you wouldn't see it.

Will

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back