• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need help with one... (1 Viewer)

bamabluebird

We've had tons of goldfinches, house finches and purple finches coming in to our feeding station this winter. This little guy made an appearance today. I'm not sure what this one is. Any ideas?

Attachments

• question1.jpg
    question1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 136
  • question2.jpg
    question2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 136
Notice the very pointed bill and intricate yellow-green and white pattern in the wings, among other features. Pine Siskin.

WOW! that was fast. thanks guys. do you think more of them will show up? this is my first pine siskin and like i said before, there are tons of goldfinches here every day. i looked the pine siskin up in my new bird book (national geographic's field guide to the birds of north america. i really need to get use to using this book!) and it says that they often flock with goldfinches in the winter.

just for grins and giggles i thought i'd post a couple of photos of some of the finches coming in to feed. sometimes there are so many of them that they look like a swarm of large bees! we have two sunflower seed feeders, two triple feeders that have thistle and finch seed, a single tube feeder with thistle, and about four other feeders with thistle and wildbird seed. plus we scatter more sunflower seed and wildbird seed on the ground. these two shots only show one of the sunflower seed feeders. the ground shot is just a small portion of the ground they feed on. so there are many more birds than what you see here. among the finches we also have cardinals, juncos, two species of sparrows, two species of doves and a few other various species.

Attachments

• feeding1.jpg
    feeding1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 117
  • feeding2.jpg
    feeding2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 111
just for grins and giggles i thought i'd post a couple of photos of some of the finches coming in to feed. sometimes there are so many of them that they look like a swarm of large bees! we have two sunflower seed feeders, two triple feeders that have thistle and finch seed, a single tube feeder with thistle, and about four other feeders with thistle and wildbird seed. plus we scatter more sunflower seed and wildbird seed on the ground. these two shots only show one of the sunflower seed feeders. the ground shot is just a small portion of the ground they feed on. so there are many more birds than what you see here. among the finches we also have cardinals, juncos, two species of sparrows, two species of doves and a few other various species.

Wow, thats some sight!

That's quite a flock, I'm surprised anyone could pick out a siskin out of that!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back