• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple or House Finch? Reno NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Purple Finch are rare where I live in Reno Nevada except for one park where they converge yearly to feast on the berries in trees that grow at a local botanical garden (Rancho San Rafael). I thought the enclosed photos were Purple Finch because of the red wash. Now I'm wondering if they are House Finch. I would greatly appreciate knowing whether these photos are of Purple or House Finch and what features allow one to make this distinction. Thanks as always for your help. KathyBZ5A7108 Purple Finch small.jpgBZ5A7116 Purple FInchsmall.jpgBZ5A7070 Purple Finch small.jpg

These are Purple Finches. A House Finch would show some distinct streaks on the sides and have a more curved culmen. I would have thought that in Reno in winter Cassin's Finch would be a possibility too, but that would have the bright red on the head more restricted to the crown and a longer primary projection.

Thanks so much for all of these details! It really helps. Glad to hear that my first thoughts about this bird were correct (actually, I am not certain whether these photos are all of the same bird). Best Wishes, Kathy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back