• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID for a Sandpiper, seen in Panama (1 Viewer)

MiWi

Switzerland
On 27.5. I saw a small Calidris Sandpiper at the coast in front of Panama City.
Thank you very much for some help.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 21.50.57.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 21.50.57.png
    649.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 21.49.48.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 21.49.48.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 21.48.26.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 21.48.26.png
    763.7 KB · Views: 83
I agree with The_Fern but if you think it appeared small enough to give some question, compare Least Sandpiper. Least has similar non-breeding plumage, the rear toe, and is in that area. But I think the bill on your bird looks more Semipalmated.

Thank you very much for your contributions. Least Sandpiper would have bright legs and "my Sandpiper" has definitely dark legs. So I agree with Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Thank you very much for your contributions. Least Sandpiper would have bright legs and "my Sandpiper" has definitely dark legs. So I agree with Semipalmated Sandpiper.

The legs of sandpipers can appear darker than they actually are when they are in shadow such as this one, particularly in photographs. They can also be darker due to mud coating. In this case though, I do agree that this is a Semipalmated Sandpiper.

The legs of sandpipers can appear darker than they actually are when they are in shadow such as this one, particularly in photographs. They can also be darker due to mud coating. In this case though, I do agree that this is a Semipalmated Sandpiper.
As a corollary to this, the "black" legs of many other peeps can appear duller when caked in mud. Lesson: use leg color with caution.
Peter

Last edited:
I agree with The_Fern but if you think it appeared small enough to give some question, compare Least Sandpiper.
The size difference between Least and Semi is so slight as to be functionally useless for identification, especially with lone birds. As you said, other characteristics firmly show this bird to be Semipalmated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back