• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to Id these swallows arrive here post monsoons (1 Viewer)

I would say one of the three species of house martin, except that they are all supposedly out of range - though pic 1 looks a good candidate for common house martin despite that. Maybe some/most are pale martin. Pass.

Appreciate all your observations, it was helpful. Thanks. I will go for the common house martin, as I know them to visit this part of Rajasthan.
cheers
Ains

Quote Reply

What about the wings, I am looking at a few ebird photos of House Martins, Dusky as well as Streak which I consider as another opinion for this flock as a whole or most of the birds. For Common, shouldn't the wing be a bit broader ideally, not a clear cut thing but an ideal case in most birds?

The bird in the 1st image is clearly one of the House Martin species. It seems to have blackish underwing-coverts, so could be Asian, although this species seems less likely than Common on range. Certainly not Nepal, which has a uniformly dark undertail and which doesn't reach anywhere near Gujarat anyway.

The 2nd image seems to show a uniformly pale brownish Martin - maybe Dusky Crag?

The 3rd shows what looks like another House Martin - it seems to be hooded and the white wedge of the undertail-coverts contrasts with the blackish tail feathers. I don't see dark underwing-coverts, so perhaps not Asian. The throat looks dusky though.

The 4th looks like a House Martin - the hood is clearly visible and the underwing-coverts are distinctly darker, so I would go for Asian.

There are no records of either House Marin on eBird, so I'd appreciate a second opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back