• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neil Hayward's ABA 2013 Big Year (1 Viewer)

At least it probably wasn't expensive coffee ... or was it? ;)

I was discussing the wider sense, and of course did not intend to denigrate anyone's efforts, although of course that's how it comes across.

From the link, the 'effort' I was referring to was wrt number of days spent in the field (away from home, don't know how many of the remainder were spent birding locally) - c.270 as opposed to c.193, and 70 as opposed to 26 code 4 and 5 species.

Certainly the effort involved in going through airports, organizing and arranging transfers, quite apart from the birding and writing it all up is stupendous and surely something most of us would never want to/be able to go through - hard graft certainly. Each to their own. And respect.

But anyway, those were just a few thoughts, perhaps too soon/wrong place/unnecessary?

Last edited:
LESS EFFORT?

Seriously? LESS EFFORT?

You Sir have to be out of your mind to denigrate such a life changing amount of sheer hard slog that went into that 'accidental Big Year'.

193,000 miles over what, 177 flights?

Linking this and Stewart Belfield's thread....... How long will it be before Big Year participants can observe all the birds without leaving their living rooms; just by watching images from spy satelites? It would not surprise me if some Langley spooks, who also happen to be birders, have already got lists obtained thus. Now that really would be low effort!

Dave3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back