• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestling sparrow (1 Viewer)

Steve1234

England
Hi there is an empty ice cream tub on top of our shed and a sparrow is raising a baby in there but I’m worried that when it rains it will drown the baby. What should I do or just leave it to the parents

Welcome to Birdforum.

It is an offence to interfere with a nest which is being used. Do nothing and leave it to the parents.

You just don’t usually see sparrows nest like this. It’s ment to rain in a couple of days and the baby will drown. The parents are coming and going but it’s a tub and will fill with water

Attachments

• D1CA13FA-269B-4051-BAB7-099DBCC49995.jpeg
    D1CA13FA-269B-4051-BAB7-099DBCC49995.jpeg
    874.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Unfortunately, if you disturb the nest the parents might abandon it. There isn’t really a good answer.

That would be illegal against the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981.

It is illegal to interfere with an active nest.

It is highly likely that would cause the nest to be abandoned.

Hi Steve and a warm welcome from me too.

This really is a tricky situation, as any disturbance risks the adults abandoning the nest, which I'm sure isn't really the result you would want. My best advice would be to observe it closely (the female may sit and brood the young which would provide some protection) but if the tub does, indeed, get filled with water you may have no choice probably. Be prepared and get the details of a local wildlife rescue who could take over.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back