• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestling (1 Viewer)

channel

Hi, my husband was out washing his car and there was a commotion in the sky. A larger black bird was being chased by three or four smaller black birds. Suddenly the large bird dropped something in the grass next to the car. When he looked around the side of the car he saw one of the black birds fly off, and also saw a baby bird. All the birds flew off and we haven't seen the black birds in the area since. The baby is a nestling, eyes closed, doesn't peep but opens its mouth for food. Otherwise it just sits there. He moved the bird to a shaded part of the lawn 20 feet away. My question is, is there a way to save this baby or without the mother will it die anyway? Thank you.

Hi channel and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Looks like the nestling was stolen from the nest of the smaller birds. A bird this young will need a huge amount of care to survive so if you can google "wildlife rehabilitation" in your particular county and call them to see if they will take it, that would be a great thing to do.

Would you mind keeping us updated?

Hi channel and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. Please do let us know how the wee guy gets on.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi everyone, we took the Grackle to the Rapture Trust in NJ today. She said he looked like he was well fed by his mother and that they had other Grackles there. She was going to put the nestling in the incubator and then give it a thorough exam. My husband told her we fed the nestling hard boiled egg yolks and she sort of shook her head and then said we have the right food to feed him. We had called another Wold Bird Center that was open late last night and they told us to feed the baby boiled egg yolks.

Thanks for getting back to us with the news Channel. Good luck to the wee guy.

Did they say if they'd let you know how he does?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back