• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neusiedler See - Seewinkel (1 Viewer)

szybszy

Hello,

I will be visiting a family in Vienna and want to take them for a birdwatching trip to Neusiedlersee. I was there as a teenager many years ago but not as a mature birdwatcher I am now ;)

I have read this report http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/austria/austria1/index.htm

and would very much like to see a more detailed map to be able to see spot mentioned in this report, mainly:
- quarry new Weiden
- Waasen-Hansag
- WWF-reserve of Marchegg

as they are not to be seen neither on the Google maps nor
http://www.nationalpark-neusiedlersee-seewinkel.at/besucher/anreise.html

1) Can you please help me with finding the above mentioned 3 spots ? Or maybe you know a more detailed online birding map of the area ?
2) Also, if you could mention where will it be the best chance for Great Bustard in the last week of April / first week of May ?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi szybszy

There is an article in Opus for Marchauen-Marchegg Reserve, I can't find the other places you mention in there though. At the bottom of the article is a link to the area on Google Maps - but, like you, I've found it difficult finding certain places on Google Maps, so I thought I'd try Multi-Map for you...

which gives me this result when I try to find Waasen-Hansag
and this for New Weiden

... not very helpful unless you know the area/language!

Here's a link to the main Austria page in Opus.

If you manage to come across some 'good' maps on-line please let me know. There seems to be little to match Ordance Survey; unfortunately these are only for the British Isles.

Hope I've been of some use - probably not apart from bumping your thread up:-O

D

I have a foggy memory of the Weiden quarry: as I remember it, a little outside town on the main road, there was a sideroad leading off to one side and a snack-bar/restaurant type place just opposite with space to park. The quarry was up behind the snack-bar place, but for access there was a gravel trail from the main road.

This is not very precise, but the best I can do from memory.

The reserve for the great bustard is found between two roads, make sure you try from both sides. It may take a little patience, as they can hide in the tall vegetation (I visited by end of may).

Niels

Edit: Try google earth for 45dg,55'05.48 N, 16dg,53'08.94 E for the Weiden quarry. That looks fairly much like what I remember.

Last edited:
Weiden am See is the Weiden you want, although I think you will probably be a bit early in the year to see Bee-eaters there!

I have see great bustards nearly ever time I have been to Hansag but as said a scope is a great help, not sure how important the time of day as I have only ever made it there in the afternoon!

Hi everyone: my wife and I are visiting Austria in August and we are very interested in taking a birding tour in Neusiedler See national park. We were wondering if anyone knows of or can put us in touch with someone who would be able to take us on such a tour (1 day probably). many thanks in advance.

Hi everyone: my wife and I are visiting Austria in August and we are very interested in taking a birding tour in Neusiedler See national park. We were wondering if anyone knows of or can put us in touch with someone who would be able to take us on such a tour (1 day probably). many thanks in advance.

Have you tried birding pal http://www.birdingpal.org/Austria.htm their are a couple of birders in Vienna on there that might be able to help you.

Gwynn

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back