• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 7x (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
As folk who frequent the Zen-Ray forum might know my ED2 7×36 are no more. So I'm looking to get some replacements. I do like a 7x, I like the extra FOV and brightness.

Budget is c£250 which doesn't leave many options. The stand out does seem the Opticron Discovery 7x42, I would interested in people's thoughts. Plus any other options.

I know there are "new, old stock" Zen-Rays on Amazon but not sure I want to take the risk on what I'll actually get.

Also saw these on Ebay, bit out of budget but would turn heads in a bird hide.

I don't think that the 7x40 3D Japanese binocular will stay collimated for long.

There may be no one in the U.K. able to recollimate it.

What about a Beechers Mirage 7x30?

Regards,
B.

I've been thinking about getting the Opticron 7x42, too.
Apart from that -- I do like the Kowa BDII 6.5x but probably above budget?
Another good and cheap option would be a Opticron Adventurer T WP porro in 6.5x32. In fact the distortion profile is more balanced than the one on the Kowa.
How about an APM 6x30? Also a nice little porro. There are updated versions with ED glass and improved coatings but I think those are mostly IF models.
Something like this:
I do love my old EWA 7x35 porros. But above 10.5° FoV they do have tiny eye-relief and tons of pincushion distortion as well as field curvature.
Hawke maybe?

My first thoughts are the Kowa 6,5x32 and the APM 6x30 if you want the best quality at your price point. I've not yet seen / used the APM's but am intrigued and keep thinking I'll get one to play with but then decide I need more binoculars like I need a hole in my head, so I've not yet. The Kowas are excellent for the price but I wish they were either a hair lighter or a hair better, I don't use them as much as I thought I would, but I haven't brought myself to sell them either as I do appreciate them.

Good luck!

As folk who frequent the Zen-Ray forum might know my ED2 7×36 are no more. So I'm looking to get some replacements. I do like a 7x, I like the extra FOV and brightness.

Budget is c£250 which doesn't leave many options. The stand out does seem the Opticron Discovery 7x42, I would interested in people's thoughts. Plus any other options.

I know there are "new, old stock" Zen-Rays on Amazon but not sure I want to take the risk on what I'll actually get.

Have you considered a 7x monocular? I have the Hawke Endurance Marine 7x42. Good in low light and easy to focus with one hand. Often available for about $150

I'm also been looking for the same.... since I sold my ED2 7x36 about 10 years ago....

I've considered the Opticron Discovery 7x42, but the FOV isn't large enough for my preference.

Currently, I have the Sightmark Solitude XD 7x36 which has the 477ft FOV like the Zen ED2, but it has too much noticeable chromatic aberration for my liking. I've only kept it, because I don't know what to replace it with, and I'd miss the 7x with large FOV.

Mono,

I have two "pocket" Opticrons (both excellent for the money in all respects)and had the nice Discovery 8x32 for a year or so before gifting it to my brother who is quite happy them. I have the Opticron 6.5x32 WP porro mentioned by @Binocollector which gets a lot of use on the beach and is a great bin for the price. Tried a friend's Pentax 9x33 (33 as I recall?) @ 8 years ago and was really impressed by the quality/features to price ratio.

That said I agree with others here the listed FOV of the Opticron 7x42 and the Pentax 7x32 suggested by @dries1 are a bit small for my taste although there are likely advantages in other areas in return. As an unabashed fanboy, I vote you consider the Kowa "6.5"x32 as mentioned by @Binocollector in post # 4 and @pbjosh in post #5. (Gijs measured the magnification at 6x rather than 6.5). Huge FOV, reasonable size and weight, outstanding CF if that's relevant to you and surprisingly enjoyable for me in some casual astronomy. The "compromises/shortcomings/tradeoffs" of the Kowa are documented elsewhere on BF but well worth the trade offs IMO. As a fan of lower power bins generally, including 7x42, looking forward to the results of your Quest.

Mike

I've been thinking about getting the Opticron 7x42, too.
Apart from that -- I do like the Kowa BDII 6.5x but probably above budget?
Another good and cheap option would be a Opticron Adventurer T WP porro in 6.5x32. In fact the distortion profile is more balanced than the one on the Kowa.
How about an APM 6x30? Also a nice little porro. There are updated versions with ED glass and improved coatings but I think those are mostly IF models.
Something like this:
I do love my old EWA 7x35 porros. But above 10.5° FoV they do have tiny eye-relief and tons of pincushion distortion as well as field curvature.
Hawke maybe?

I briefly tried another birders Hawke's and they seemed pretty decent for the price.

I gotta good condition kowa 6.5 you can have delivered mint in original box for that £220 I just don't use them.

Last edited:

Turn heads you are NOT kidding LOL

Just got some "new in box" Hawke Endurance ED Marine 7x32 on eBay for £165. Welcome to the world of blue binoculars.
Nice! I hope you share your thoughts on that one. It's been on my wishlist. But i thought it might be redundant since I have the Kowa BDII 6.5x32.

I have both. The Hawke is extremely good. Very clear, bright, and sharp views. Easy to hold without shake. Made for being on the water, so no worries about a bit of rain. I have a Vortex DB 8x32, but the Hawke beats it. The fov is not as wide as the Kowa, but it is sharper to the edges then the Kowa. As much as I like the Kowa, and I do, if I had to pick I would take the Hawke.

I picked up a Visionary Inara 7.5x36. The FOV is 7.6 degrees I think. It is bright and sharp. 169 UK pounds. I don't know if that fits the bill for you.
I use this as my hiking bino. It's light, has very easy eye placement and I have no problems using with glasses. Downside, it's not massively bright and build quality is OK but nothing special. £150 on ebay currently, I got my original pair for £89 a few years back!

I use this as my hiking bino. It's light, has very easy eye placement and I have no problems using with glasses. Downside, it's not massively bright and build quality is OK but nothing special. £150 on ebay currently, I got my original pair for £89 a few years back!
This one is a new version from 2023 and apparently improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back